• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

PR3 front tire wear

tjhess74

Street Cruiser
I have 700 miles on my new PR3's that i put on last weekend. i was curious how the front tire will wear with that new tread pattern...well now im finding out!

each little block is starting to feather quite a bit on the trailing edge.  this is happening on all the blocks except the far sides that dont have alot of mileage on them.

anyone else experiencing this?  i wonder how exaggerated this is going to become and how it will affect the tires lifespan.  other than that im fairly happy with them, but not blown away with them.

Hey Tom,  I just ran out to take some pictures of mine on the FJR. They are not the best pictures since it was still kind of dark out and the lighting wasn't very good. But they should give you a look. The two bikes wear tires the same, so it shouldn't be an issue. These have about 1,500 miles. Is what your describing much different from these?

its hard to tell, but yes that looks pretty similar to what i have.  just a light feathering on the trailing edge of the tread blocks.  with twice the mileage, doesnt appear to be any worse than mine. thanks

Any time you put another cut in the rubber it's going to feather on the edge.  It's just the nature of tires.  The stickier the rubber the more they feather.  My front has about 3500 miles on it and is just starting to feather a little.  The rear was feathering from day one.  The rear is from acceleration and the front is mostly from braking.  I'm not a heavy braker so I think that's why my fronts hold up better than many people.

Similair to mine ... except i tied the laces into a knot and cut the rest off.
they wouldnt stay tied.