• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Progressive Springs specs

Tom NWGA

Hello,
Purchased a set of Progressive Springs for my '99 Connie because I wanted to improve the front end handling. Observed that the new set are shorter than those already in the bike. Checked the Clymer manual and figured out the new springs meet the specs for the 1986-1993 models but are shorter than the spec calls for on post-94 bikes like mine.
Questions:
1. Should I use the Progressive springs anyway? If so, what mods are suggested, if any?
2. The current springs are in spec according to Clymer. I just wanted an improved front end handling. Should I just cut the spring and add a PVC spacer? What length space is recommended for a 210 lb rider?
3. Should I consider using the Progressive Springs AND a PVC spacer?  Again, what length spacer is recommended under this particular scenario?

Eagerly awaiting a response as the bike is on the stand as I write this. And, Thanks!

Just got my front end back on the Mule and did the same thing The progressive springs didnt need a spacer They went the full length of the fork tube and toppped out with the preload set all the way up  I just set it to what progressive said is a good starting point and will adjust from there as needed once I get it off the lift from its mid winters lift ride
HTH

Tom, can you tell me the length of your Progressives and of the later model?
Just took a set out of my 03 and would like to compare lengths.
  {Note; I've heard many times that the Progressives are too soft. But they sure give a smooth ride}.

In all my years of riding C-10's I had never messed with setting Sag. I just rode it where it felt good...
  I recently tried to set the Sag on my C-10.
      (I don't recall the settings right now. Can get them).
      {I used settings that I learned on the Forums and YouTube.}

Initially, I had the Progressives in the bike...
  With the Progressives, I found that I did not have enough preload to raise the bike enough to reach the height I wanted.
  So, I removed the Progressives, and installed the original {OEM} springs.
      Using the stockers, I was able to get the sag where I wanted it.
        {but it took max preload to reach the height I wanted}?

NOTE: I admit, I am NOT knowledgeable about setting the sag.
          Was just experimenting to see if I could get the numbers I thought were right.

If someone has the information of correct sag for a C-10,,,  I would appreciate you posting it here..
With that number, I'll have another go at it..

Ride safe, Ted

This is from another discussion.
Has the settings/heights I was trying to use on my C-10..
  {If I have this right, this is the sag heights you should be trying to achieve after you install the Progressive's}.

Ride safe, Ted

I watched several YouTube video's before doing the adjust.
This seemed like the easiest to understand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtzTyCKh5fY

Most video's were for race settings, suggest 30 mm (approx. 1 3/16") sag (with rider) on the front, {and say to set it softer for  the street}.
One suggested to use 35 - 48 mm for the street.
    I was looking for slightly stiffer than the softest road setting, so I used 40 mm as my target.

C-10 set up for race;
  Uncompressed height                    (approx. 148 mm)
  minus 30 mm Sag                                    (-30 mm)
      Adjusted height {with rider} should be  (118 mm)  Approx. 4 5/8" compressed height.

C-10 set up for playing;
  Uncompressed height                    (approx. 148 mm)
  minus 40 mm Sag                                    (-40 mm)
      Adjusted height {with rider} should be  (108 mm)  Approx. 4 1/4" compressed height.

I adjusted to get the 4 1/4" compressed height (40 mm sag).......
  With no preload I have approx.  4" height.  (approx. 41.3 sag)
  It took almost all of my pre-load adjustment to raise the bike to 4 1/4" height (40 mm sag).
  NOTE: The race 4 5/8" (30 mm sag) compressed height is not possible with the springs I have.

Do I have this right, or am I missing something?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Tom, can you tell me the length of your Progressives and of the later model?
Progressives  20.24"
Pre-93 spec 20.24"
Post 94 spec 21.47
"
Just took a set out of my 03 and would like to compare lengths.
  {Note; I've heard many times that the Progressives are too soft. But they sure give a smooth ride}.

In all my years of riding C-10's I had never messed with setting Sag. I just rode it where it felt good...
  I recently tried to set the Sag on my C-10.
      (I don't recall the settings right now. Can get them).
      {I used settings that I learned on the Forums and YouTube.}

Initially, I had the Progressives in the bike...
  With the Progressives, I found that I did not have enough preload to raise the bike enough to reach the height I wanted.
  So, I removed the Progressives, and installed the original {OEM} springs.
      Using the stockers, I was able to get the sag where I wanted it.
        {but it took max preload to reach the height I wanted}?

NOTE: I admit, I am NOT knowledgeable about setting the sag.
          Was just experimenting to see if I could get the numbers I thought were right.

If someone has the information of correct sag for a C-10,,,  I would appreciate you posting it here..
With that number, I'll have another go at it..

Ride safe, Ted

I replaced my stock springs years ago with the progressive springs. They were in the bike exactly two days before I removed them and ordered the Sonic 1.1's. The progressives were too soft for my aggressive riding style.

Is it possible that the shorter Progressive spring (as compared to the post-94 Connie spec) could be the reason for the 'soft' ride and difficulty in achieving the requested pre-load? Inquiring minds (and my investment) want to know...
From the Clymer manual and measures of the Progressive springs on my workbench:
Progressives  20.24"
Pre-93 spec 20.24"
Post 94 spec 21.47"

Volcantour said:
Is it possible that the shorter Progressive spring (as compared to the post-94 Connie spec) could be the reason for the 'soft' ride and difficulty in achieving the requested pre-load? Inquiring minds (and my investment) want to know...
From the Clymer manual and measures of the Progressive springs on my workbench:
Progressives  20.24"
Pre-93 spec 20.24"
Post 94 spec 21.47"

You could always cut some PVC spacers and make them work.