• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Proof That Life Sucks

That is impossible Brooke,
                                        You are either one heck of a photo shopper, or your neighbor is one heck of a shot with a nail gun :rotflmao:

BTW,
                              Are you going to the Volcano Run Saturday?

Steve
  Brooke is cool  :great: :great: :great:

Hi Steve;

I'm not going on the Volcano Run but am planning on attending the regional.

I also was impressed with how that nail made it through the tread as well as the sidewall. The chances of a shot like that one are slim at best

Maybe my Feejer doesn't like those tires and had to go to ridiculous lengths to get my attention. Funny thing there was that guy at work found where my cube is to let me know what had happened. They said, "Have you been doing a lot of carpentry lately?"

I thought all you folk might get a charge out of seeing that photo.

I feel your pain. Not through sidewall, but roofing nail "nailed" my brand new Dunlop Q3, less than 100 miles, and did the plug trick but could never get it to hold air.  Bit the bullet and bought another new tire, ouch!  Got a hot patch kit and going to do so from the inside plus a plug and see if the tire can be used at a later date??  Tube was suggested but was told that it would defeat the TPMS?? 

Brooke_Benfield_OR said:
The pair have ~9,000 miles on them and have quite a bit of tread left.  :(
:-\ WHAT!!  you have 9k miles on a tire. I have hit 8k with cord showing was the BEST I have ever done. typically mine go about 5k miles. Once I chased a Triumph Speed Tripple and scrubbed the tires off until I had 3 holes in the back tire and the front  showing cord. The tires had no more than 1,500 miles.

What are those tire made of, STONE??

Well, the ride home happened without incident. Life's not so bad maybe afterall.

Instructor:

Very sad to lose a tire after 100 miles. I shouldn't complain after getting ~ 9K but I sure do like to.  :) My Feejer doesn't have TPMS, Mama Yamaha gave it a real cruise control instead and I'm good with that trade-off.

I'm leaning in the direction of just getting new tires - too lazy to try the more frugal alternatives.

Daytona_Mike:

The late Doug Hughes (NWAD during the early 90's) used to say that you can have Miles-per-gallon or Smiles-per-gallon. This pearl of wisdom was punctuated with appropriate throttle hand/wrist positioning. Doug always chose Smiles-per-gallon. I guess both of us know which I typically choose.  ;)

The tires are Metzeler Z8 Interact in standard sizes and they provided a nice upgrade from the Bridgestone BT023 that came on the bike from the factory IMO. I just read a test comparing 5 brands of Sport Touring tires and the Z8 came in dead last in wet pavement panic stop distance. Maybe that's the "STONE" factor in these tires.  :D

Hey Brooke

My new 2012 Concours picked up a nail in the rear tire not more than 10 miles down I-5 from Bellingham.  The low pressure light and warning kicked in and inspection confirmed.  Went back to the dealer and had them put on a new PR3. 

I talked to you once about your 2001 C-10 over at Bob's.  Still enjoying your FJR?

Hi Anzac;

TPMS is a good thing - had it trigger on my Hyundai a couple of years back. Glad you were able to get your bike back to the dealer safely. I checked my rear tire this morning and it still feels firm. It's possible that the nail didn't actually puncture into where the air is but I'm not taking any chances and will get new tires when I have time.

I remember meeting you @ Bob's and yes, I am still enjoying the FJR.

The seat isn't great so I'll probably have to come up with a solution for that. In every other respect it's been a great bike.

I had almost the exact same nail scenario happen on my Wee-Strom a couple of years ago, but the nail went in a little straighter and the point came nearly to the wheel rim.

As for mileage I get about 12,000 to a set on the Wee, and the Connie got almost 15,000 on the last set of Michelin Pilot GT's.  Any less than that and I could not afford to ride them.

9800 miles and complaining about a nail? I would be happy to get anywhere near that distance out of a tire. Lets see a picture of the tread from the back. I want to see it.

9800 miles and I am on my third set of tires!  :-\
I wouldn't know how to act if I got that out of one set!
Matt

Wow @ that nail.

I went from the Rockies (railing the bikes through the MTNs with Rick Hall) on to Los Angeles and back to Tampa on a  plug named Jill
bigthumb.gif

stevewfl said:
Wow @ that nail.

I went from the Rockies (railing the bikes through the MTNs with Rick Hall) on to Los Angeles and back to Tampa on a  plug named Jill
bigthumb.gif

Stevewfl
          You sure are fond of that plug named "Jill". This is like the 5th time I have heard of her.  :rotflmao:
Stevewfl is cool  :great: :great: :great:

Looks like a photo proving life is good. Pressure probably went out pretty quick, but your still around. You were out and about on two wheels when the nail was picked up. And, best of all, now you get to legitimately spend hours doing tire research!

ACISROC said:
Steve
          You sure are fond of that plug named "Jill". This is like the 5th time I have heard of her.  :rotflmao:
Stevewfl is cool  :great: :great: :great:

Indeed, Jill was one  bad*ass plug, she  took me well over 4000 miles, through hell and back. Horrible terrain and much bad weather    :motonoises:    :motonoises:

plug.jpg

20110713-DSC_1832.jpg

20110711-DSC_1694.jpg

20110710-DSC_1556.jpg

20110708-DSC_1451.jpg

20110708-DSC_1504.jpg

Wow,
        I would be proud of her too! Those are great pictures of where she has taken you. :beerchug:

They say the front wheel kicks up the crap and the rear gets it.  I saw a Baron Von Grumble video in which he comes across a rider who got a flat from a key stuck in the sidewall.

Weird stuff happens.

Well, the Michelin PR4 tires are on the bike now and they seem to be very a neutral handling solution to my problem. I finally finished putting the bike back together last Monday (holiday) and went for a little spin. The pair of Z8 Interact I was running liked to fall into the corners compared to the PR4 so all in all, I'm a happy camper.

If I ever had a tire that went 9800 miles it would be a two tone color, white in the middle and black on the sides! :-\

I'm BAAAAACCCKKKK!!!!

I can't believe that 2 of 4 rear tires on my bike have picked up a nail.  :mad:

I noticed this adornment while on a ride this past Saturday up around Mt. St. Helens. Made it home fine but the nail, rather than partly exposed when first noticed, is pretty much driven all the way in. It's an Avon Spirit ST so there's a road hazard warranty but I can't find my receipt which is required for making a claim.  :'(

Attachments

• Avon_Nailed.jpg
    Avon_Nailed.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 137
Steve, great pictures of your adventures with your bike.  Brooke, I'm glad you didn't get hurt.  That's a lot of miles that you put on your tire.

Irene

Update:

Avon is going to honor their road hazzard warranty and so I picked up my wheel with a new tire mounted and balanced last friday (09-21-2018).

This process has been a serious pain. I picked up the nail mid-July and didn't deal with it at all until late August (had to pull Mom's memorial service together so had other stuff on my mind). The shop I bought the tires through ended up paying for the tire and are waiting reimbursement from Avon which will happen after they receive the tire and inspect it in Southern California. The shop wants me to pay for the shipping down there and the price they quoted was $60.00 but they are trying to find a better rate. If I end up paying $60.00 for shipping the whole deal will cost me <$100.00 so it's been worth it from the viewpoint of saving money vs. just coughing up for a new tire.

Sport Rider said:
Ain't no chance of plugging that one!  :-\

if this is a newish tire, a tube would be an option

I think a little caulk (make sure its the outdoor stuff) could fix that.    :pokestick: