• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Proposed Law Would Allow Motorcyclists To Run Some Red Lights

gMitch

NE AAD CT/RI
Here’s a story out of Illinois:

Motorcyclists and bicyclists in some areas will often pull up to a red light that won’t change to green. The reason is that the embedded sensors that trip the switch to change them don’t detect a vehicle as light as a bicycle or motorcycle That has led to a bill, now on the governor’s desk, which would allow motorcyclists to treat a red light as a stop sign if it doesn’t change to green in a reasonable amount of time, the newspaper reported.

Complete story at: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/08/03/proposed-law-would-allow-motorcyclists-to-run-some-red-lights/

Wow, talk about slanted reporting, treating a red light as a stop sign after a certain period of time is hardly 'ignoring' the light.

I tell my students to wait two full turns from the light before proceeding through a controlled intersection.  Then and only then can you confirm that the sensor (magnetic) is not functioning properly (calibration). I also ask that they call the department in charge of the light and inform the authority the light is malfunctioning for motorcycles.

I've done this and at least ODOT was receptive and did adjust the light, but I can't attest if anyone else has.

Ranger Jim said:
A number of states (including SC) have this type law already.

yup - SC, NC, WI,  ID, OK, AK, VA, MS, TN all have this law

FL and a few other states are considering it.  I thought for sure we sould never see this in the northeast, but I heard a rumor that a bill was proposed in NJ. If it manages to pass there, I suspect M/C rights groups will begin approaching other neighboring/nearby states.

"Reasonable" scares me.  Is that how long you sat there at the red light, or how long the officer saw you there?

Not an issue with 90% of the officers in the world, but somehow some cities in Utah only hire the other 10%.

This law took effect here in VA on 1 July.  So far I have only done it once but it sure was nice.  :)

Indiana has such a law also. It specifies you must wait for two cycles before proceeding. Our governor is a rider, ... probably helped get it through.
Jorge

I wait two cycles, and then go when safe. Not sort of safe, completely safe. Never been hassled but I'm so careful about it who knows what the man would say about it.

Most of the time, I get lucky, some cage pulls up behind me, so I roll a ways forward and motion them forward, and the cage trips the signal. Sometimes there isn't room to do that.

I'm basically chicken, and will do a legal right turn on red and adjust later rather than wait another cycle.

Privateer said:
I'm basically chicken, and will do a legal right turn on red and adjust later rather than wait another cycle.

You know that............... two rights don't make a wrong, but ..........

Three rights make a left..... Cosmic... think about it..... HA!  :rotflmao:

wrote a letter to the ny governor to see if we can't get something simular here in ny. I've had my share of  waiting for a larger vehicle to come up behind me. but the bad thing is when ever it happens I always get a little apprehensive until I know for sure that they're actually stopping.

Ranger Jim said:

FL does too, after a few minutes we go through the light. 

I didn't know there exists states that don't. So what has everyone in these states been doing?  Sitting at red lights all night till a car comes and triggers the light
lol.gif

stevewfl said:
Ranger Jim said:

FL does too, after a few minutes we go through the light. 

I didn't know there exists states that don't. So what has everyone in these states been doing?  Sitting at red lights all night till a car comes and triggers the light
lol.gif

I guess it depends. If a car or truck comes along right away, yes. After short order though, its look around and go. You can't sit there all day!

If this is the one motorcycle law allocated in a given year, let's skip it.  To give proper credit upfront, I'm repeating or summarizing a bit from other bloggers but add clarification for the record. 

First, although we know that headlines sensartionalize (i.e., mislead) to grab attention, the law doesn't/wouldn't allow you to run a red light.  Second, what you (or the paper) mean is a traffic signal...not a red light that describes a stop signal although a metered light is somewhat in between.  The slang is okay but, in this instance, it doesn't take much effort to use the proper term and eventually must be avoided when talking about legislation, or writing a statute.  Third, as alluded to by others, it is not illegal to proceed after a full stop and waiting a reasonable time for what is clearly a defective signal ... and obviously foolish not to proceed at some point.  After one determines the light is malfunctioning (which arguably includes moving slightly ahead and signaling--usually to an unknowing return stare--any vehicle behind you forward to hit the pressure plate or sensor), you may proceed with caution when the intersection is clear.  And, in general, this is the terminology to use if stopped by a police officer.  (Here's the other terminology relative to a TRAFFIC SIGNAL = Green = Go, Yellow = Caution, Red = Stop .... Right? ...... Not!!  Think of Green - "Proceed when intersection is clear," Yellow as "Clear the intersection" (or *caution" when simply flashing"), and Red as Stop.  BTW, the intersection is the open space where two or more roads come together.  RIght?!!?  ... Not!!  The intersection for purposes of a car approaching extends back from this space relative to speed.  Thus clearing the intersection of 2 Highways involves more road than the intersection of a typical Downtown city corner.  While many traffic laws are of necessity associated closely with strict liability. there is a certain reasonableness that may be applied where safety is not otherwise an issue.  (Yes, you also may pass on a double yellow under certain conditions! And speed, although conditions warranting speeding aon a motorcylce fall within an extremely narrow band.  BTW, a direct flight is not necessarily a non-stop flight either!?!)  .... BUT maybe we can spill some legislative ink to at least create some jobs by sending workers to icrease the sensitivity or replace some of these signals found at the busiest intersections. LOL  ;)... Good for motrocyclists and good for employment!!

S Smith said:
Ranger Jim said:

yup - SC, NC, WI,  ID, OK, AK, VA, MS, TN all have this law

FL and a few other states are considering it.  I thought for sure we sould never see this in the northeast, but I heard a rumor that a bill was proposed in NJ. If it manages to pass there, I suspect M/C rights groups will begin approaching other neighboring/nearby states.

VA enacted this law in July 2011. Two full minutes or two complete cycles of the light.  However,  it is the rider's responsibility to avoid collision.

It would be nice to have it on the books in NY, too.
On Long Island, east of NY City, they've installed many many "red light" cameras.  If you violate something you get a $50 ticket in the mail from an outfit in Arizona, including a link to download still photos and video of the offense.  The ticket goes to the owner of the license plate.
There is one I hit on my way home from work, the intersection of South Oyster Bay Road and Old Country Road (local streets in the space between highways on the big map).
This intersection is 4 lanes crossing 4 lanes with left turn lanes & left turn signals, wire loop controlled and a No Right On Red on my side going home.
It doesn't trigger for my bike, and it only turns green for the car(s) that trigger it so if a car comes the other way or makes a left, I still don't get a green to go straight or right.  I've learned to turn right into the corner Burger King before the intersection and come out on the other road.
Without a law on the books, the automatic ticket would surely need a court date to argue that the light didn't change.  The days of a workday costing less than $50 are gone, I think, so it's a choice between a rock & a hard place.