• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Re-positioning throttle cables

bobsad

Tricycle
I'm trying to relocate the throttle cable lines. I looked at the storz article on tech page. Has that setup worked for others or do I need to buy longer cables? As the article was written in 05, I suspect there have been advances when moving the handlebars to a more rearward position. Any other suggestions?

I think with the Storz bars you do need longer cables. If you just use the bar risers the stockers will work. '02 Connie COG # 6662 Dallas, Tx

Bob The Storz mod is a conversion to tubular handlebars. While Steve Storz may sell "recommended" handlebars, the point is you have to purchase a set of bars that fit YOU. This is one of those cases where you should buy the bar from a local dealer where you can see them up front and personal. So, it matters which bar you buy. Some bars, such as the Superbike Bar I used on my '86 concversion, worked with existing cables. Just a little clever re-routing and I was good to go. Obviously, the farther away from stock the hand grips end will dictate whether you need to buy new cables and brake lines, or go with a simple re-route.

Don't know what the Storz info says, but last time I had my carbs off (recently) I swapped my throttle cable routing from the stock position on the left side of the frame head to the right side, then under the backbone tube and along the left side of that tube like normal inside the left coil and thence to the carbs. That gained me about an inch or so of cable and makes the adjustment much easier. Also makes cable installation during carb R&R much easier. Also took out the tendency for it to advance the throttle when turning the bars all the way to the right lock. I have 1-1/2 inch bar risers so stock routing makes them a little tight.

thanks for the suggestion! has anyone routed the cables successfully on the rear of the triple tree rather than the stock, front position?