• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Ride reminder/Update 22 July Gordonsville, VA

KLRIDER

A little reminder for the COG ride this Sunday, July 22nd:

We will meet at the Inwood Restaurant on Route 15, just North of the roundabout in Gordonsville, VA, at 8 AM Sunday morning 22 JULY 2012. A ride will follow, we'll hope for blue skies and clean roads. The ride is about 170 miles, please fuel up in Gordonsville if possible.

Towards the ride's end, Bob Dombrowe, our COG Historian, will take point and lead us to a neat abandoned RR tunel near Crozet, VA. After which, in Crozet, Bob and his wife, Patty, will host us for a light lunch at their new home!

Crozet is also the home of the Starr Hill Brewery (making my fav Amber Ale)
http://www.starrhill.com/  A tour can be arranged if any are interested. Please let me know here!

And our Lady of the Angels Monastery, located in nearby White Hall, produces a Gouda cheese which is the best ever. Sales of their cheese is the way the Nuns support themselves and the monastery.
http://www.olamonastery.org/

So, if you're a cheesehead you may want to stop by there. They do not ship cheeses during the hot summer months.

Looking forward to seeing you at Gordonsville this Sunday!

Pat

Wish I could join you, but I'll be headed to MD for the first grandson's family birthday party. His actual b'day was this past Thurs., but I have been bustin' a hump to get this swing set made.

max-swing-L.jpg

Almost done with final bracing, but will need to take it all apart so it will fit in the truck.

I don't mind telling you that this is one of the most senseless things my wife has ever gotten me involved in. Could have bought one for far less - but no - she wanted me to make the damn thing.

Back to it. Ya'll have fun.

Had a really nice ride today.  450 miles and only 30 or so on dirt (needed to break in the FJR anyway).

After Tom and I split from the "group" we tooled along a bunch of back roads from Scottsville to the south of Richmond. We didn't want to hit the mess that is called 64 so we took the long and sometime dirty route towards Petersburg. Jumped on 460 there and made tracks, just got back at 1615.

FJR is a mess and needs a bath, I guess I need to take the phrase "never off road" out of the for sale ad, LOL.

Thanks Bob and Pat.

I wish I would have taken a picture of the KLR taking a nap, but I was too busy righting it.  Who'd of thunk that when the rear tires goes flat sitting in a parking lot the bike passes out!?

Did you guys ever find the route?

Roger 123 said:
Had a really nice ride today.  450 miles and only 30 or so on dirt (needed to break in the FJR anyway).

After Tom and I split from the "group" we tooled along a bunch of back roads from Scottsville to the south of Richmond. We didn't want to hit the mess that is called 64 so we took the long and sometime dirty route towards Petersburg. Jumped on 460 there and made tracks, just got back at 1615 (nice 11 hour day!).

FJR is a mess and needs a bath, I guess I need to take the phrase "never off road" out of the for sale ad, LOL.

Thanks Bob and Pat.

I wish I would have taken a picture of the KLR taking a nap, but I was too busy righting it.  Who'd of thunk that when the rear tires goes flat sitting in a parking lot the bike passes out!?

Did you guys ever find the route?

Ditto on the Thanks to Pat and Bob, sorry could not hang for lunch, but following Pat could have put us at lunch around 4 or 5 :)), and then four hours home would have been too late, I was at Rogers this morning at 0515 having a cold one right now so I'll probably be passed out by 6, Oh and it was fun seeing Roger on gravel/dirt roads on his pretty FJR.........Thanks for that Pat, but that gave him a taste and he found more gravel for the ride home, I think at times he forgot he was on the FJR..  :)

It was great to meet new people as well as see others again. We modified our route back, after the second dirt road. Poor connie was shaking apart. Good ride! Trish and I had a blast. Thanks to Bob and his lovely wife for a great lunch.

Rode Dan's C~14 on part of the way to Bobs, what a bike. The 05 doesn't come close.

Thanks again! 

It was a great COG ride and eat for me, thanks to all who ventured forth!

Yeah, some of those back roads didn't seem even located in the same state as I-64. And between Streets n trips, Garmin, and AAA we were all but guaranteed to get 'temporarily disoriented'.  Glad that everyone made it over to Bob and Patty Dombrowe's for the nice lunch. Thanks again, Bob and Patty!

After lunch Bob also lead a new COGger, Glen, and I over some nice backroads near his new digs to view one of the (closed-off) Crozet train tunnels, engineered by Claudius Crozet.  And Bob honed us in on an orchard store offering awesome peach ice cream.

Glen and I enjoyed a nice ride on route 810 from Crozet, then 230 and 231 to Sperryville and route 211 over the mountain to home.

It was good to see old COG friends and meet new ones.  :)) Hope to see some of you at Marlinton in a couple weeks.

Guy, is that swing set Kawasaki powered??

Pat

Hey, Tim and Trish.

Sorry, I....ah,...., well, forgot my camera thingy.  :( I know I saw others shooting a few, pics that is. Anyone?

Pat, I have just a couple photo's from the day, one at the tunnel, but I can post them.  Lightning forced my DSL modem into early retirement today, so I need to get that fixed.  Otherwise, I can bring a copy to Marlinton. 

Had a great day.  Thanks again, Bob and Pat.  The lunch was great.  The peach ice cream was great, too.