• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Road trip bikes

Memac63

Tricycle
I'm likely two years out from being able to pull off a long road trip, I have Deadhorse, AK in mind.  Been ruminating on the right bike.  I had been all excited about an Africa Twin then a couple recent adventure touring review videos had me thinking Suzuki V Strom.  I started out thinking the 1000 but now I'm thinking the 650 might be the better choice.  Lots of time to think about it, curious what choices others have, or would make for a long road trip that likely includes some rough roads.

I’m sure I don’t know the answer --  and a ride like that is so much more rider than bike – but it’s pretty hard to beat the track-record of the V/Wee Stroms… the Africa Twin or the Super Tenere certainly are well worthy of consideration… I came close to pulling the trigger on a KLR -- different issue, I was thinking Goose Bay and I just like the carb (and giving the immediate issue I’m having with the ZG, maybe I should gone with my gut on that…), but I’ve always liked vertical/V twins…

For a run like that with two-years to plan and refine the machine – P11 Norton, different tank of at least 6 US gallons, Rocky Mayer saddle, replace forks and brakes as well as progressives in the rear to replace the Girlings… get some scrambler pipes from somewhere to get them up out of the way, single Mikuni to replace the Amals and the digital ignition to replace the Lucas… (I’m dreamin – yep I’ve thought of thi before – too many projects already…)

Stroms v. Africa Twin… if the wee-Strom, it sounds like the mission statement may be being refined slightly…

The bike isn't near as important (to me) as the preparation and what the rider is comfortable with. I rode to Alaska from PA in '91 on an XS11. Didn't do dead horse, but went to Inuvik. Alaskan Highway was almost all dirt then, and I cam home via the Cassiar Hwy, and that was dirt. Only real issue I experienced was losing the back brakes as mud packed in the caliper, and ripped the friction material of the backing plate on the pads. I was up there for a month riding around. Almost ant modern bike will do the ride. Less plastic is less to break, and lighter weight is easier to handle. And not that you will need to do it, but easier to pick up too. I am planning on doing the ride again, but 2 up, and I like the Tenere for that, simple and rugged. However, I also wouldn't hesitate to take my C10. (Almost like the XS11 I had, as it had a Pichler fairing on it).

Are you camping on your trip? Riding 1 up? Those things will also play into the size bike you may want.

Whatever you ride, you will love the trip!

I did the camping thing when I rode to Alaska. One up on almost any bike and you have plenty of room. Not sure what you hunt with and are taking, so can't comment on that. The gear these days is so much better than back when I went too. More efficient and a lot less space. Make sure (if you will be wearing electric gear) the bike can handle it. I had to pack (for a month) sweaters, flannel shirts and thermal gear. That took a lot of space. Also used WWII pilot gloves. And had a huge insulated sleeping bag. I am sure your gear will be much better and pack better. Expect all kinds of weather too. I have never ridden the V Strom, but everything I have read and the folks I know that have them love 'em. On another note, there use to be a publication called Milepost. It was a lot of good information back when I went.

Keep us informed on what you decide on.

I suggest that you spend some time over on the ADVRider forum. Lots of folks have made the run to Deadhorse on everything from a Goldwing to a Grom.