• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Robert Elliott, SEAAD Down on 10/2

magnum1b

Bicycle
Robert was hit by an impaired driver about five miles from his home in Cornelia on Sunday afternoon, about 3PM.  Apparently the driver failed to yield right of way as she came on to the highway fron a side street or drive and hit Roberts bike near the front of the bike.  He was thrown into her windshield and then onto the highway and the bike was totaled.  he was transported first to NE Ga Regional Hospital in Gainseville, then to Atlanta Regional Hospital which is a Level 1 Trauma Center.  His injuries include multiple arm fractures, all of his ribs broken, and a broken pelvis.  He is intubated and in ICU and visitation is limited to family.  He is scheduled to have another operation on Thursday to remove the external fixator on his pelvis. His wife Paige is a nurse so very in the know on what's going on.  She said his BP plummeted and he quit breathing about the time they got him to Atlanta and they brought him back from the brink.  I think the prognosis for recovery is good but he will require a long hospital stay and many months of rehabilitation.  His Ortho Dr here estimated it will be a month before he can leave this facility.  I plan to keep in touch and visit as often as I can while he is here and will update ya'll on his progress as I know it.  Robert has been a big supporter of COG over the years and we shared experiences as co-rallymasters of RWTW in 2007.  Let's keep him in our prayers.  If you wish to e-mail Robert you can do so through his wife's address, paige@rjelliott.net and I'm sure she will be willing to show them to him once he is able to enjoy.  Just don't try to make him laugh as those rib breaks are a B*(%ch!

Be safe, be aware, and have fun,
Jack Ferguson

I don't know who else is nearby and I  only know him from a few online interactions, but I'm in Gainesville, so if I can do anything for them, let me know.
Ron

That is terrible to read about Robert.  I will keep him and his family in my prayers and hope for a speedy recovery.

So sorry to hear this... Robert is a great guy and a outstanding COG member.  Let's keep him in our thoughts for a complete and speedy recovery.

Jack, be sure and let Paige know we're all pulling for Robert. I hope they nail this driver to the wall! There's no excuse for that these days!

Eddie

Thoughts and prayers out to Robert and to Paige.  Heal quickly Robert!  Rallys aren't the same without your smile!

I visited with Paige and Robert the other evening, Thursday.  He was
feeling the good drugs and not very sociable.  Actually I'm pretty
sure they had him OUT as with so many fractured bones the aim is to
immobilize him while the healing gets started,  Friday, he was running
a low grade fever, but BP was good and they were administering
antibiotics to combat any bad crap which he may have augured up or
which could be contracted in the hospital. I plan to go sit with the
big guy on Monday for sure so Paige can go to work.  He's still under a lot of sedation so not really awake for visitors.  I'll be sure to let folks know when he's ready to party.  ; )  He's in ICU soflowers are verboten I think and he has no use for chocolates.  ; )  I found the following reports about the crash and I will copy it here complete from

http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/section/6/article/57036/

Woman charged in Hwy. 365 crash
By Katie Highsmith Staff

ALTO - Charges have been filed against one of the people involved in a
serious crash Sunday afternoon on Highway 365 in Alto.

Officials with the Georgia State Patrol said 50-year-old Theresa Jane
Williams of Alto has been charged with driving under the influence and
failure to yield in the accident, which occurred at the intersection
of Alto-Mud Creek Road.

They said Williams pulled into the path of a motorcycle driven by 46-
year-old Robert Elliott of Cornelia, who was transported to Northeast
Georgia Medical Center with non-life threatening but serious
injuries.

That non-life threatening description is a little off because Robert
pretty much arrested on arrival to Atlanta and  had to be brought back
as they say from the edge.

Here is another story from
http://www.atlantamotorcycleaccidentlawyerblog.com/2011/10/motorcycle...

Motorcycle fatality in Hall County and another crash with injuries
nearby

The third wreck took place last Sunday afternoon, October 2, on
Highway 365/Alto Mud Creek Road in Habersham County which is just
north of Hall County. Robert Jordan Elliott, 46, of Cornelia, Georgia
was traveling north on Ga. Hwy 365 when a 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
entered the intersection going west on Alto-Mud Creek, striking him
and his 2006 Kawasaki. According to the Georgia State Patrol, Teresa
Jane Williams, 50, of Alto, Georgia, was charged with DUI and failing
to yield when entering the roadway. The motorcycle struck the left
front side of the car.

Elliott was taken to Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Gainesville
and then transferred to Atlanta Medical Center, the same hospital
Deputy Lieutenant Darren Hester's wife was taken last month.

The 21-mile stretch of highway where the accident occurred is
undergoing major repairs, including the replacement of crumbling
gravel and loose asphalt. Earlier this year, the Georgia Department of
Transportation issued a statement detailing the construction as well
as cautioning drivers of the road hazards such as uneven pavement.

Though it is unclear whether or not the road conditions were a factor
in this accident, motorcycle riders should remain vigilante at all
times, remembering to downshift and reduce their speed when
encountering problem areas.

Thanks for the information and update.  Perseverance, Robert, and we will see you out there again soon enough.  Heal well, friend.

I've never met him, but Robert is in my thoughts for a speedy recovery.

$1750 bail for that.... nice.

<<Though it is unclear whether or not the road conditions were a factor
in this accident, motorcycle riders should remain vigilante at all
times, remembering to downshift and reduce their speed when
encountering problem areas.>>

I think we all know what the contributing factors were.
Prayers for Robert and family.

Stay alert boys and girls.

Honestly, had I met Robert before, I can't tell you. But it doesn't matter anyway. What matters is one of our brothers (and sister) in COG are in a bad way. My thoughts and prayers go out to them. Although it's doubtful that I could be of assistance. But I would sure try if there was a way to help. 

I pass that intersection 2-3 times a week and it's dangerous. There is no excuse for a drunk driver, though. Let's keep the Elliott family in mind.
Ron

new member here and first post........I ride my Kawasaki Versys up to the mountains often on the same road the accident occurred. I'm very familiar with the area, can be quite dangerous from time to time. My best wishes to Robert and his family and here's to a speedy recovery.

Robert's wife, Paige, has told me that after Robert leaves ICU, that he would probably like very much to have visitors.

Perhaps a RTE in their area would be a good idea....

Lisa and I went to visit today and it was much better with Robert able to communicate.  He has had an "upgrade" to his plumbing so he is now allowed soft foods and liquids by mouth.  He's obviously uncomfortable not being able to move much on his own.  Both wrists ate in fixators and bandaged pretty thoroughly so even scratching his nose is out of the question.  His nurses have been very nice when I've been there and they keep an eye on them.  His BP is also down to normalh is very good.  No other news, Oh yea, he did say he's thinking about running for SEAD.

Regards,
Jack

Magnum1b said:
Lisa and I went to visit today and it was much better with Robert able to communicate.  He has had an "upgrade" to his plumbing so he is now allowed soft foods and liquids by mouth.  He's obviously uncomfortable not being able to move much on his own.  Both wrists ate in fixators and bandaged pretty thoroughly so even scratching his nose is out of the question.  His nurses have been very nice when I've been there and they keep an eye on them.  His BP is also down to normalh is very good.  No other news, Oh yea, he did say he's thinking about running for SEAD.

Thanks for the update Jack. Next time you talk/visit with Robert, tell him I said HI and sent best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Let him know I think he is an excellent candidate for SEAD and I know he would do a great job.

Thought about him this morning when I rode through that intersection. It's still under construction with uneven joints, lines and bad cross traffic.

Get well soon fellow. I want to meet you.
Ron

Had Robert on my mind this afternoon riding for my Sunday ride around Alpharetta. Every side road, street, drive I came upon I was extra wary. Maybe we'll all get some extra "safety" quotient as a result of Robert's accident. Can't be too careful out there, even within a couple miles of home. Two of my three "get offs" were within 4 mi of home and the other within 10 mi.

That saying, "ride as if they're out to get/hit you" is so true.
I've been saying prayers for Robert and all riders. Get well Robert and see you at Rocco's.

Phil
'99 'lectric
COG$5879

Robert Elliott Update

Sitting here bedside with Robert this afternoon watching the blustery grey clouds of our first Winter chill outside the window.  Robert is now in a regular room at Atlanta Medical Center on Boulevard in Downtown Atlanta.  He's in room 573, North Tower.  His in room phone number is 404-265-9573 but be patient as he moves slowly.  He is scheduled for another surgery on Tuesday, October 20 in the AM to plate a tibia plateau fracture they just found yesterday.  He asked me to nominate him for SEAD which I did with an e-mail to Bob Dumbrowe a little while ago.  Keeps talking about a BMW K1600GTL but I think he's a little bit delusional and would probably settle for a nice C-14 if someone has a spare laying around the barn.  ; )  If any of you are in the area and would like to come sit a spell I'm sure he'd welcome it, though he does need his rest too.  They're starting him on basic physical therapy using his hands, which are still in external fixators.  He'll be non-weight-bearing for a bit after they plate his tibia tomorrow. I'll bring you more news as I know it.  Until then keep Robert in your prayers.

Take Care and Ride Safe
Jack Ferguson  #6879  ;)

Update:

Robert has been transferred to Manor Care in Decatur, GA, across from Dekalb Medical Center.  It is a post-operative rehabilitation facility.  He is in room 160 and will be undergoing physical rehab for thirty days. I visited Saturday and he was much more chipper.  He still has an immobilizer on his right leg and fixators on both wrists.  He is not able to get out of bed yet but they seem to be taking good care of him.  The physical therapist was there when I visited evaluating his mobility and it sounded like she's going to be working him pretty hard.  A plus is that she is a rider also.  :)  Their address is 2722 N Decatur Road, Decatur, GA 30033, Phone: 404/296-5440
Visiting hours are 9AM to 9PM.

Visiting with Robert. He must be better because he's trying to get his WiFi working!

acb62e5e.jpg

OK, another update.  Robert has e-mail access on his iPad and his phone (same number as listed in the member book and I'd imagine he'd enjoy chatting with some of you folks.  I'm making a list of farkles he lost on the bike for insurance claim and may need a little assistance.  he said his highway pegs and trailer hitch were sourced from someone in West Virginia (COG member?) but I'm not sure who that would be so could use a clue.  ( I know, I always need a clue )  Otherwise I'm pretty sure I can come up with the rest of the items as most came off Murph's site.  Anyway, take a few munites and ring him up.  He's in OT and PT every day during the day but I think he's least busy around dinner time, ,say 6:30ish.

TCARS,
Jack Ferguson  :motonoises:

Magnum1b said:
<snip>
he said his highway pegs and trailer hitch were sourced from someone in West Virginia (COG member?) but I'm not sure who that would be so could use a clue.  ( I know, I always need a clue )
<snip>
TCARS,
Jack Ferguson  :motonoises:

Jim Miller maybe.

Jack, WHat ou need is replacement cost rather than what they cost Robert.  TO figure that I would look at the only things available that are comparable.  Here's are some hitches for $245.95+ but you'll need to add shipping.  I would expect $300 to be about right on the hitch.
http://www.customcruiserchrome.com/product/73
http://www.motorcycletrailerstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_110&products_id=324

As for the highway pegs, Murph sells the KB pegs which are probably a bit superior in quality to Jim's pegs (aluminum rather than mild steel) but they also happen to be available which is what you are looking for.
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=11&products_id=104

All Murph's stuff is freight included as I'm sure you know.
HTH

Thanks Rev.  How have you been? Have you kitted up that turbo mod yet so the rest of us can have one too?  ; )

Magnum1b said:
Thanks Rev.  How have you been? Have you kitted up that turbo mod yet so the rest of us can have one too?  ; )
I'm good sir.  Just doesn't seem to be any interest in 150+ HP C-10s any more.  So I decided to do the EFI thing (which is awesome BTW), but...

Right now I have over 6k miles on the Turbo EFI setup with no breakdowns, no failures (other than a battery I let go dead and sit dead for a couple of weeks that I tried to get to run the system), no broken pistons, no blown head gaskets, no chance of hydrolock, no need for a petcock, etc. and I'm loving it.  Come ride it at the 2012 National. 

EDIT TO ADD:
WOW! I just noticed my post count... this one was 1500.  Do I talk too much?  Please don't answer that.  :motonoises:

Magnum1b said:
Visiting with Robert. He must be better because he's trying to get his WiFi working!

acb62e5e.jpg
Is all that metal messing with his reception? 

Really, he's lookin' pretty good for an old COGger.  :))

Got a Facebook update from Robert's wife. The bill for his little vacation at Atlanta Medical Center came to almost $600,000.  :-\  That doesn't include anesthesia, EMT trip, etc.  And he's still got rehab to go through.  I'm not sure how good her insurance is but no matter how good your insurance is, it's still better to avoid such holidays so Be Careful Out There!

Be Safe,
Jack Ferguson

I think he's going to be called "million dollar man" now.  Get well soon Robert.    :beerchug:
Note to self: self, check the cap on my insurance!

Phil
COG#5879
'99 'lectric  (now w/cruise control challenge!)

Went by to see Robert this morning and he's steadily improving though they won't let him bear weight on his wrists yet.  They did get him standing for a couple of minutes yesterday with some assistance getting to that position.  He was working out in the gym when I went by today.  He's in the Glancy Rehabilitation Center of Gwinette Medical center, Room 205, and he has his cell phone and iPad for e-mail.  Kurt Brown works close by and has been by a few times since he moved out there also.  It's a much better facility than he was in in Decatur. Visiting hours are pretty liberal and if he's in rehab he'll be downstairs in the gym.  The address is 3215 McClure Bridge Rd., Duluth, Ga 30096 if you want to go visit.  I'm sure he would be fine with that.  Also you can friend him on Facebook "Robert J. Ellioott".