• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sat. 29 June Meet & Greet, lunch and a ride in RI

B.D.F.

Note: change of restaurant and starting location! We will be meeting at Palmieri's Pizza in Johnston instead of the breakfast restaurant first mentioned. The breakfast restaurant has a 20- 30 minute wait for lunch on Sat. (didn't find that out until yesterday, 8 June, though).

We are hosting a Meet and Greet at The English Muffin Palmieri's Pizza restaurant in Johnston, RI at 11:30 on Sat., 29 June. To be followed by an hour and a half ride around the Scituate reservoir and ending at a local ice cream stand. This event is open to all.

It is in the calendar here: http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=187402&mo=6&tDate=%7Bd%20%272013-06-03%27%7D

Brian

C'mon people, this post has been up for almost a day and no one has signed up! If you continue to loiter and put it off there may not be enough room for you on the big day. You know you want to do this M&G and the tide too. Mr. Elkhoof is watching the calendar page with baited breath.... well, if he had breath it would be baited.

Brian

I would love to have made it to this event but I already have plans.  The other downside is it's almost 3 hours just to get to the English Muffin.

Next time,
Alex

I hear you Alex- it is a long way to ride for lunch and a local ride. We will be done more M&G's and possibly rides afterward at the Log Cabin restaurant in Clinton; it is sort of mid- way between RI and you nearby [greater NY area] folks. I like to attend Bob's M&G's in Newburgh but unfortunately miss quite a few more than I manage to attend and we are in the same position- three hours out and back.

This one is very local to us so it is a great place to start. Maybe the few RI folks may attend, along with some nearby CT and MA folks, all w/in an hour of traveling time.

As the wise man once said- if you build it, they will come and that works for most COG events apparently. Some gather more attendees but the goal is to get a handful of nice people together for some camaraderie and a few laughs and it seems that virtually all COG events fulfill those criteria. Why there was this one time when Team COG went to the Dutchess (sp?) fairground for the bike show and auction, followed by a trip out to the Rheinbeck Aerodrome. Only Cap't Bob and I showed up so we were, in fact, team COG. Still it was a good time, Bob showed me how to turn the sitting planks over in the rain at Rheinbeck when everyone esle just sat in the puddles, and there were some fantastic motorcycles both on the auction block as well as outside in the parking lot. So two Coggers can have a good time at a COG even it seems :)

Brian

Gigantor said:
I would love to have made it to this event but I already have plans.  The other downside is it's almost 3 hours just to get to the English Muffin.

Next time,
Alex

We are looking to add this ride to our schedule.  Thanks Brian for putting this together. About 110 miles of slab to get there. Going to map out a better route from south central Ct. Brian do you know any nice roads coming in from the east or south? Seems like it would put me right around the resevoir where we are riding anyways. Maybe I'll follow the shore in Ct/ RI and head north around URI and past Twisted Throttle. If we leave early enough we would avoid beach traffic. We have relatives near Fall River maybe see if they want to meetup too. As long as nobody mines riding with a sane 2up Vmax rider  :D. We will sign up when we are sure schedule is clear.
Bob & Harriet

I am not all that familiar with the secondary roads in central CT- when we go into or through CT we usually just slab it.

There are some fantastic roads in eastern CT and on into RI- look at the roads by Arcadia beach; some of the nicest riding around this area in my opinion. Unfortunately it won't make up much of a 100 + mile ride from the west. Central CT and RI are great examples of 'you can't get here from there'; there is no graceful way through central CT really so we usually end up on I-95 which is almost all two- lane and often clogged, or we go north and catch I-90. But to go from, say, Providence to Hartford is just plain painful unless it is a weekday morning and you have the great good fortune to catch a school bus or six of them and then it is downright miserable.

Parts of the old Rt. 66 are nice but you will end up in fairly big towns with the traffic, lights, etc.

We have made a bunch of trips to Newburgh, NY by using a bit of I-95, then up (North) CT Rt. 9, down I-91, across I-691 adn finally west on I-84. A little convoluted but a nice ride and very fast usually (all slab).

It would be great to see you if you can make it. And by now it is obvious that this event is filling up at an alarming rate!  :rotflmao:

Brian

Bob_C_CT said:
We are looking to add this ride to our schedule.  Thanks Brian for putting this together. About 110 miles of slab to get there. Going to map out a better route from south central Ct. Brian do you know any nice roads coming in from the east or south? Seems like it would put me right around the resevoir where we are riding anyways. Maybe I'll follow the shore in Ct/ RI and head north around URI and past Twisted Throttle. If we leave early enough we would avoid beach traffic. We have relatives near Fall River maybe see if they want to meetup too. As long as nobody mines riding with a sane 2up Vmax rider  :D. We will sign up when we are sure schedule is clear.
Bob & Harriet

Great- we're working on the weather so it should be a nice day too. :)

Brian

631rmercer said:
I'm registered along with my wife. Coming from Long Island. See you there!!  :beerchug:

I noticed that you are on Long Island- are you taking the ferry over (Orient Point / New London)? We've taken the C-14 on that ferry and it is a nice ride. If you live more toward NYC it is probably not worth bothering with as it does not save much vs. driving around but we were headed to Mattituck and it saved a bunch of hours.

Brian

631rmercer said:
Can't wait!!  :motonoises:

I'm in lindenhurst which is on the border of Nassau & Suffolk county. Probably ride up and take the ferry back. Looking forward to adding another state to my map as well. May also try to stop by twisted throttle while in the area.  >:D

Going to try to make this. (I usually get pulled into work stuff at the end of the month) Just signed up, so looking forward to seeing you all!

This is about 215 miles up I-95 for me. Should be able to just about make it for the 11:30 meet. IIRC, I ate there as a kid (step-mom's family is from Hope, just down the road) so would be good to revisit the area.

Yeah, the ferry does not offer as much advantage as it does to the other end of the island.

You will be going by Twisted Throttle twice coming to the M&G. They are virtually dead 'on the way'. They are open Sat. too so it should work out. If there is enough interest, we can try to squeak it onto the end of the ride perhaps....

Brian

631rmercer said:
I'm in lindenhurst which is on the border of Nassau & Suffolk county. Probably ride up and take the ferry back. Looking forward to adding another state to my map as well. May also try to stop by twisted throttle while in the area.  >:D

Great- hope you make it.

I think this restaurant is fairly new, or at least in a new location. All part of my evil plan; I have invited a bunch of Harley riders to come with us just to leave spots of oil all over the restaurant's parking lot. Bwahahahaha (that is a joke for those new to them)

Hope is next to where I live. Maybe I know your Step Mom.... is her name Lois? Betty? Nancy? Grace? Wait, wait, I am sure I know her....  ;D

No problem if you are late for or miss the lunch altogether; my 'lose' plan is to leave the restaurant somewhere around 1:00 PM so you can certainly come for the ride and ice cream even if you run late for the M&G.

Brian

voileauciel said:
Going to try to make this. (I usually get pulled into work stuff at the end of the month) Just signed up, so looking forward to seeing you all!

This is about 215 miles up I-95 for me. Should be able to just about make it for the 11:30 meet. IIRC, I ate there as a kid (step-mom's family is from Hope, just down the road) so would be good to revisit the area.

Change of venue! Please note that we will be meeting, having lunch, and starting our ride from Palmieri's Pizza, 1999 Plainfield Pike, Johnston, RI  The original breakfast / lunch restaurant was just too crowded and had a 30 minute wait for seating Sat. for the lunch rush. We did not find that out until yesterday though.

The new location is only about 1/8 mile from the old location so the directions are just about the same. Palmieri's is located in the strip mall with Duncan Donuts and is easy to find.

Sorry about this change but better this than spending two hours eating at separate tables and probably different times.

Brian

I was hoping to make this meet & greet but we have a graduation party to attend so I'm
guessing that the loy's half of the Habeloy's are out at this time  :'(
Hope to make your next one.

I understand- you will probably have a better time at the graduation anyway....  :(  But you are still sending Angel along for the ride, right?  ;D

Brian

Pat and Sher in MA said:
I was hoping to make this meet & greet but we have a graduation party to attend so I'm
guessing that the loy's half of the Habeloy's are out at this time  :'(
Hope to make your next one.

BDF said:
A week to go- I've done the incantation for good weather twice now so what could go wrong?

Brian

Really looking forward to this! Hoping I might have my new helmet in time as well. Will be good to see all of you again and have lunch.

Even though we have a graduation party, can't help but support the new AAD's, so the Habelloys will be there for a quick lunch and then will have to go.  Looking forward to seeing everyone.
:)

Excellent! The highway (I-295) is both quite close and easily accessed from the restaurant so if you folks need to slab it back that should help a bit.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

I hope to put up a GPS file later on so anyone that cares to can grab a copy.

Brian

Sherry said:
Even though we have a graduation party, can't help but support the new AAD's, so the Habelloys will be there for a quick lunch and then will have to go.  Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Sherry said:

Confirmed - both the Habels and Mulloys will be there for lunch.
Please make sure to sign up on the calendar to help the Felice's in making accurate reservations.
Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Great- this is a nice bunch of people coming to this one. Not that your local COG folk are not good but some of them have funny accents (yes Terry, I mean YOU).  ;D

Brian

631rmercer said:
Btw, just want to mention, this is my first COG event.  :)

Nice running into you folks too. Kinda surprising to see two '08 C-14's at the Narragansett wall at the same time.

Great. If you can't stay for the whole thing, you could stop by for a quick lunch and not go for the ride, or the other way around. Whatever works for you.

Brian

I ride all year said:
Brian, nice seeing you. I will try to make the m&g, but I have family coming in friday fom cali. A good shot however. JD

Looks like all that KiPass lovin' has paid off- the weather forecast on Sat. is calling for a zero -0- percent chance of rain, while for three days on either side it is at least 40%. So if the current outlook continues, it looks like it might be a great day for a ride.

Brian

Hey Brian, plan on leaving Long Island around 7:30am Saturday, do you think that will be enough time to get to the restaurant? Don't mind being early, just don't want to be late.

A quick look shows me you are 3 hrs. 15 minutes away so that should be enough time. These things are a little loose on time anyway so being 15 minutes late is no big deal. You would be the better judge of how much you could be delayed going through NYC and the first half of CT, which can clog up pretty badly. The eastern half of the ride should be pretty open.

Unfortunately the forecast is showing a 70% chance of precipitation. We will be having the M&G in any weather but most people won't want to go for the ride afterward in the rain. But the forecast has been lousy all week here with lot of threats of rain but little actual rain. So here is hoping for a decent day tomorrow.

Brian

631rmercer said:
Hey Brian, plan on leaving Long Island around 7:30am Saturday, do you think that will be enough time to get to the restaurant? Don't mind being early, just don't want to be late.

May not make it, house ac giving me trouble have to work on that this morning and see how much time that leaves me to ride. Thanks Brian for putting this together,  have fun everyone.

We had a great time seeing everyone that showed for the meet & greet. Thanks to Brian & Andrea
for putting this on and taking the group on a tour of RI. We hope you all had a good ride  :motonoises:
and we are sorry we missed it and what I assume turned out to be nice weather.

Hope to see you all again soon. I'll add a link to some pictures after I finally get some sleep.

Thanks to all that came out- I believe we had 19 for lunch and 13 bikes that went for the ride.

Great day- the sky was dark at first, and it spattered about 13 drops of rain and then the sun came out and it was a beautiful day. Of course having so many KiPass fobs in one place does swing the odds in favor of good weather.....

We broke up into two groups and the lucky folks who went with me got to ride in a circle.... twice. I knew I was in trouble when my primary GPS did not seem to have the route in it :-(  My secondary GPS did (I loaded it into both- go figure) but I cannot hear that one or see it very well (auto GPS, screen not bright enough). So for those who liked the general route, some of us did parts of it more times than others.

Lunch, an all- secondary road ride followed by a stop at the local ice cream stand. Us Coggers need our calories or we would look like healthy people. Then a handful of us continued on to Twisted Throttle to inject just a bit more money into the local economy by buying some badly needed farkles.

Will post a couple of photos later.

Brian

I would also like to say thanks to all who joined us! You all braved the 70% rain predictions, and that's no small feat  :) 

Lunch, ride, ice cream and weather were all great and as always shared lots of laughs with all of you. 
Special shout out to Chris F who came in from NJ and the Mercer's, for their first COG event, came in from Long Island!! 
I can see Mr. Elkhoof and I will have to keep a better eye on our route also, to keep (someone) from going in circles  :-\     

So thanks again and keep your eyes on the calendar...we'll be posting another one for next month soon.

Andrea

Great seeing everyone today, I enjoyed the ride!
If you have some good pictures, please send them to me for the Newsletter at necogeditor@gmail.com.  I'll only have room for a few so just send the best one(s)...

Thanks,
Tim 

Had an awesome time!

Andrea and Brian sure do know how to put together a fantastic meet & greet!

Special thanks to Bill for letting me try out his Baldwin saddle, and Brian for finally telling me "the cat joke."

Rode 515 miles today, and I'm ready to do 515 more!!!  :))

WOW!!! what a great time today!!! thanx to everyone, you guys made us feel right at home. always good to make new friends!!! great weather, great people & great time!!!!!  :beerchug: we are switching our west virginia plans and will attend the lake george rally.  :) see you there. :motonoises:

Awesome! Not sure if I can float that and the National in the same month (work in IT, taking off two weeks to go cross-country) but will do my best to get a few days off!

Thanks everyone!  We had fun organizing it for sure, but it's YOU ALL who participated that made it such great fun!  :) Events like this always make us look forward to the next get together with such anticipation, it can't come soon enough, right?

Here's some of my pic's....enjoy the show!  (Sorry Loretta for cutting your head off  :(  ) Hopefully Pat will have even better shots 

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/arfelice/slideshow/6-29-13%20RI%20Meet%20and%20Greet

Andrea

FYI, just added conneticut & rhode island to our "states map"!!  :beerchug: small states, big character!! thanx again for hosting such a great meet & greet!!  :great: :motonoises: :)

Thanks for the kind words and glad you had a good time. Now that you've heard 'The Cat Joke' (TM), the only northeast COG experience of any consequence is meeting Kirby. I don't know which one is more traumatic but we generally do not introduce Kirby to people before the meal while The Cat Joke (TM) can be told at any time....

Brian

631rmercer said:
FYI, just added conneticut & rhode island to our "states map"!!  :beerchug: small states, big character!! thanx again for hosting such a great meet & greet!!  :great: :motonoises: :)

from what i've heard so far, kirby sounds like a load of fun!!  :) can't wait to meet him!!!  :)) now to make reservations at hotel montreal!!!  :motonoises:

631rmercer said:

When you're up in Lake George, make sure you ride at least part of Rt 17 in Vermont, then you can add that, and maybe New Hampshire, as well!

Okay, here is a link to the pictures I took during the meet & greet.
Sorry I didn't get everyone in them but I was a little tired and lost some focus
during the event. Hope to see you all again soon.

Sorry, link was bad. I'll try to figure it out and update this later.  :'(