• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shifting From 1 to 2 to 3

joe

Big Wheel
I just purchased my 2010 C14 in July. It jerks between 1 and 2 and 2 to 3 no matter how slow I let the clutch go. It's so bad that I don't use the clutch to shift. The mechanic at the dealer said. It will go away once I start using synthetic oil. He said to wait until I have 5000 miles before I switch oils. Anyone else has the same problem. Thanks.

NJ-Joe

Hi Joe, congrats on the new connie.
As long as you have enough oil in there, I don't see why changing it to synt oil would make any difference. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they're waiting to see if it's going to fix itself by the time you bring it back to them for the oil change at 5000 miles. I never had anything like that on my 2008, I'm sure someone here will have an answer for you soon.

Joe it made a BIG different when I switched to syn oil in my 08. I use Mobile One now and the shifting is quieter and smoother.

joe said:
...... It jerks between 1 and 2 and 2 to 3 no matter how slow I let the clutch go. It's so bad that I don't use the clutch to shift. .........

NJ-Joe

The problem is the engine RPM when you release the clutch. If it doesn't "jerk" without the clutch, it will not jerk with the clutch if you match the RPM correctly when you release the clutch.  Work on your technique. 

Synthetic oil will help the shifter move more smoothly with less effort. 

You may want to look at throttle cable adjustment.  When my cables had too much slack in them my bike would go from no power to POWER!  Something to look at possibly.

It's raining here in NJ the next couple of days. I'm going riding on Sunday. I will try it in the ECO mode. Thanks.

NJ-JOE

I never used ECO in the lower gears. The only time I would use it was on the highway. The ECO mode cured the jerking. Thanks.

NJ-JOE

Change the oil, take the slack out of the throttle cables, and all will be well. On Bikes that use the oil in the tyranny it takes a beating from the gears, almost always right after an oil change you get the best shifting.

Just joined the COG. I have a 2011 C14 with 135 miles on it so far and concur with the notchy tranny personality which I will expect to fade due to wear in. I used to work for a Kawasaki dealer back in '79 and this appeared in  KZ650's and 1000's even back then and faded after a couple thousand miles once the shift dog cams loosened up a bit. I did take a bit of slack out of the throttle too, as mentioned by others, which of course much improves shifting smoothness...

Rick said:
Just joined the COG. I have a 2011 C14 with 135 miles on it so far and concur with the notchy tranny personality which I will expect to fade due to wear in. I used to work for a Kawasaki dealer back in '79 and this appeared in  KZ650's and 1000's even back then and faded after a couple thousand miles once the shift dog cams loosened up a bit. I did take a bit of slack out of the throttle too, as mentioned by others, which of course much improves shifting smoothness...

Welcome aboard Rick!  I'm sure you are correct. The transmission will probably get smoother as it breaks in some. The C14 does have one of the smoothest transmissions I've ever owned!

My 2010 was smooth from day one. No issues in reg or ECO mode. Currently running Mobil1 4T to keep it that way.  ;)

My 2011's shifting had some rough points, but nothing that I would equate to "jerkiness". It just didn't feel "buttery smooth". After having the 7500 mile service done, the bike now has that "buttery smooth" feel to it.

I would say that if the bike really is jerking noticeably when shifting and you know it's not your shifting technique, then something needs to be looked at immediately. Hopefully you have another Kawasaki dealer in your area that you can get a second opinion from. If not, I personally would try to get my dealer to look into it as a potential warranty issue.

The only bike I ever had that had a transmission which shifted like crap was a Hyosung GV650. I never could get that bike to shift well...even after having the clutch rebuilt.

Just my $.02

joe said:
I just purchased my 2010 C14 in July. It jerks between 1 and 2 and 2 to 3 no matter how slow I let the clutch go. It's so bad that I don't use the clutch to shift. The mechanic at the dealer said. It will go away once I start using synthetic oil. He said to wait until I have 5000 miles before I switch oils. Anyone else has the same problem. Thanks.

NJ-Joe

I've got a year old '09 C14 with 15,988 on the odo and do my own wrench work.  Whenever I feel the shifting getting a little sticky, I bled the hydraulic clutch.  The task only takes a few minutes so you might as well do the brakes at the same time.