• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

side cases

jeff33l

Big Wheel
just bought a nice 08', riding with some friends last nite,rode across railroad tracks on a 2 lane hwy,speedlimit 50mph, both side cases came off the bike !  yes they were secured, now they need painted. the track did not seem that rough, just seems that these should be more secure. Has anyone had this happen to them? thanks

I've never had it happen...and I've hit tracks hard enough to break my footpeg.  Is it possible that a previous owner modified your bags to make them EASIER to come off? (maybe grind down the plastic that would normally be below the antler...or grind back the antler)

I thinks that an 08 is a c14? I believe the c14 owners add a clevis pin for added security to prevent bag drops. This post will probably get moved to the c14 page where you will get more info.

It can happen on all year C14's. The very first C14's had a recall to replace the latch that was braking. But since then there have been quite a few people who have lost there bags over bumps on all year bikes. Kawasaki does not acknowledge this. So a lot of people have resorted to pining the bottom of the bags (which I prefer). Or the second method is to use the retaining clips made by a C14 owner. Do a search on the subject. There's lots of information out there already.

From the C14 Farkle Vendor directory in the C14 accessory section:

Saddle Bag Retention

McMaster-Carr pins (Must be drilled) - http://www.mcmaster.com/#98320a020/=d91xhw
Zteve's retaining clips - E-mail for info or to order:  h59913@frontiernet.net

If you lost both bags at once, it's most likely they were installed backwards, i.e. left bag on the right side, right bag on the left side (yes, it can be done).

As for fixing the damage, if you want them to be new again, you may have to buy replacement covers.  If you just want them to not look scratched up, and don't mind black, some have coated the outside with the stuff they use for bedliner coating.

If you want to try repairing and repainting, ColorRite has matching paint colors.  The color should be listed in the sticky posts on one of the C14 pages here.

thanks for the replies,they were on the correct side. i have already drilled the holes to install the clevis pins, wish i had known there was a problem before. they were just scratched up already have them at a body shop. thanks to all that replied

Check the color of the latch mechanism. The originals on the 08 were red. They were failing and there was a recall to replace them, which changed them out with orange colored latch hooks. If you have the old red latch hooks, I'd take the bags to Kawasaki and ask them to replace the bags under warranty, since this recall should have been performed before the bike was sold to you.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Check the color of the latch mechanism. The originals on the 08 were red. They were failing and there was a recall to replace them, which changed them out with orange colored latch hooks. If you have the old red latch hooks, I'd take the bags to Kawasaki and ask them to replace the bags under warranty, since this recall should have been performed before the bike was sold to you.

+1

so I lost ride side case on my 2008 C14 and can't find it.  How do I replace it and get my current key to work??