• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Snapped bolt...

mcgyver74

Ok, so I installed my Mccruise yesterday, (Was way easier then I was expecting)

All was going well,  until they had me remove the right side frame brace in order to gain access to the right side cyl vacuum port.

Undo the 2 tight bolts, move the brace and do the job, then go to re-install the brace,,,red loctite per the manual's instruction,  rear bolt goes in like butter...front bolt goes in most of the way then gets tight way early...(can still see bolt sticking out)  kept turning, and all of a sudden SNAP...freaking bolt snapped off.

I wasn't turning it any harder then I had to in order to get it out and it broke off...GRRRRRR

How hard is this going to be to fix?  I hope a drill and an easy out will help, but knowing my luck I'm prob in for a spendy repair :(

If you can Dremel a slot in it, a flat blade screwdriver would probably back it out, unless you cross threaded it.
Old thread locker probably bunched in the hole and stopped the bolt from bottoming.

If it broke off flush and you can't get anything on it to loosen it and back it out, you might want to consider taking it to a good shop and paying them to remove it. If you don't have the right tools and experience to remove broken bolts, you might just end up making it worse trying to get it out. I've seen lots of folks break off hardened "Easy Outs" inside of stuck bolts and end up making the job worse. A good machine shop or even a good dealer should be able to get it out with very little fuss.

Yeah I am going to take it to a shop and have it fixed,  I don't trust myself to do it... the shop I know that I think would be ok prob won't be able to take it for a few weeks tho :(

Meantime it doesn't seem to be affecting anything, so i'm just gonna ride and hope for the best :)