• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Storage Compartment Fails to Latch

I Feel Fizzy

On my 2018 Concours 14 the storage compartment unlatches fine, but unless it is very warm out (over 70 degrees or so) it usually will not latch the first few times I shut it. I often have to turn the key on and off a few times to get it to latch. I called the dealer about it when it was still under warranty but they were backed up a couple months. Since it seemed like a minor issue at the time I never called back and now it is out of warranty. It seems to have gotten worse.

Does anyone else have this issue, or a solution?

Thank you.

Craig

I think mine does the same thing as yours. The button, or point you push down to open the compartment seems to get stuck down a little, enough so it wont lock when you try to shut it.

After you open it, and before you try to close it, pull up on the button to make sure it is all the way up. Mine is always just a little bit down and that's what seems to keep it from staying closed.

So, nobody else has this problem but me? That's good I guess, but I don't how to fix it. I was hoping someone else already dealt with it.

Mine also does it. Ive applied some WD-40 to the latch a few times, but as it's made of plastic components, it still gets stuck regularly

Mine does it all the time. Like someone else mentioned just pull up on the button. Then it will latch back.
Great, I'll try that. I thought it was a problem with the electromagnet/solenoid, or whatever it is, so I never thought to pull it up. Thanks.

My storage compartment solenoid failed shortly after the warranty expired. I considered replacing it, but the cost seemed excessive. Instead, I removed the solenoid and now use the storage compartment to store a road map (remember those?), a small spritzer filled with helmet cleaner and a shop towel cut into four pieces. There really isn't much room in there for anything else. As none of these items are particularly valuable, I don't worry about having a compartment that locks.

As far as the button is concerned, it does stick from time to time. I use silicon lube which seems to work better than WD40.

I've had the same problem for over a year. Seems to me that I have the best luck when I have the key off when I close the door.

I've had the same problem for over a year. Seems to me that I have the best luck when I have the key off when I close the door.
I've tried it all ways and it doesn't matter. I used to toggle the switch on and off several times until it latched, but I don't want to wear the ignition switch out. Plus, as I mentioned in another thread, once when I was on an out of state trip I toggled it one time less than I needed to - meaning I left the switch on and drained the battery. Poor design. As mentioned above, pulling the latch up does the trick. I'm going to put a little knob on it to make it easier.

On my 2018 Concours 14 the storage compartment unlatches fine, but unless it is very warm out (over 70 degrees or so) it usually will not latch the first few times I shut it. I often have to turn the key on and off a few times to get it to latch. I called the dealer about it when it was still under warranty but they were backed up a couple months. Since it seemed like a minor issue at the time I never called back and now it is out of warranty. It seems to have gotten worse.

Does anyone else have this issue, or a solution?

Thank you.

Craig
Mine was a pain. My mechanic fixed so that it mostly works. Before I close it I have to put my finger under the button and push it up. Now it works if you don't mind a 2 step closing procedure. The only thing I keep in there is the extra luggage key and the top box key when I am parking it in a public spot. I preferred the one on my 02 Connie. Very simple: 2 of them and they were bigger.

Mine was a pain. My mechanic fixed so that it mostly works. Before I close it I have to put my finger under the button and push it up. Now it works if you don't mind a 2 step closing procedure. The only thing I keep in there is the extra luggage key and the top box key when I am parking it in a public spot. I preferred the one on my 02 Connie. Very simple: 2 of them and they were bigger.
Two would be nice! I keep my EZ-Pass in there, my cigarette lighter adapter and phone cord, a few quarters, and my helmet lock and carabiner to lock my helmet on the luggage rack. I can't believe I never thought of trying to pull the button up to make it latch until this thread! Doh!
Underneath the other side of the fairing is where I installed my Nautilus Air Horn though, so if there was another compartment there I would have had to find another spot for it.

I don't have the issue, but some thoughts:
The solenoid won't affect the closing. It only prevents the button from being pushed down to open ut, thereby locking the compartment. Some remove the solenoid (my bike's PO did this, but gave it to me wheb he somd it) to prevent locking and damage from someone forcing it open.
Has anyone tried dismaltling the latch and looking for a slightly stuffer spring?
As for lubricating it, silicone lubricant will likely work best.
Good luck!