• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Suzuki Burgman 650

Tinsailor

My wife thought the Connie was right uncomfortable and wanted her own scoot, came across a nice used Burgman with 21K on it and have to say, it is one of the most pleasurable cycles I have ever riden. Tons of space for stuff, handles great with plenty of zip and low maintenance with great fuel mileage. Dudn't exactly hit a 9.5 on the cool meter but still a neat ride none the less.

I was just reading a Burgman vs. Silverwing article today in Cycle Canada. They said both scooters were good but both testers said they preffered the burgman. I've never ridden one but I hear those small scooter wheels compromise ride quality and confidence. I suppose if I get to old to swing my leg over a bike (heaven forbid), I'd look into one. Nice storage compartment under the seat. Careful the backrest doesn't fall off like the testers did. :p Grizzly

Except that they might be hard to find used, I'd wonder if the Piaggio mp3 500 might take care of some of the instability of the scooters. Wierd, but I read a posative review about the ride of them once. http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooters.php#/overview/Piaggio%20MP3%20500 Grizzly

Not sure if the 650 has the same controls as the 400, but getting used to the "clutch" being the brake made for some interesting riding the first few miles. That 400 kept up with everything in the pack during the test ride, and handled well enough to scrape things in the corners. If I got to where I had to ride a scooter, these would be first in line to try. Not a wheelie machine, but sure fun. http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

We have a guy that use to ride with us on a 400. He kept up surprisingly well. Of course when power was an issue, he was toast. But he did pretty good on that scooter. But he did blow up the motor after a while. I guess he ran it too hard trying to keep up. He also had an issue with the tail pipe melting the end off. But the thing did ok. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

It certainly doesn't have the brute torque that the Connie or a lot of other bikes have, but it has enough especially for a new rider. I understand that the motor is the same as the 650 sportbike but re-tuned for low/midrange work. The more I ride it the better I like it. By all means, if you get the chance, ride one and see what you think. After you stop trying to clutch it and stop trying to use you're feet to find controls that aren't there, its a lot of fun. Also there's some super web pages and forum with links to maintenance videos.