• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Suzuki? Don't loose your key.

JohnC

Street Cruiser
Well, before you ask, yes, I did loose or misplace my key. So what I'm telling you now is the gospel, according to Suzuki. I called several places and got different stories of how to solve the problem, but then I called Suzuki USA and got a recording that told me things I did not want to hear. First of all, take down that number on your key and put it on your registration or title. That alone will save you a lot of heartache and money. That is what the recording told me, Suzuki does NOT keep any data on vin numbers and key codes. Now if you were like me and did not do that, thinking I'll do it later when I have time, and then lost the key. Well start by taking the ignition lock out and then trying to find a locksmith that can open it up and make a key for it. I knew a locksmith that could most likely do it, but when I called the rate was from $65.00 to almost $200.00, dependent on how much work I wanted to do. Taking the ignition lock out cut the price in almost half. Still ended up costing a heck of a lot more than having a spare key made or just writing down the key code. Now if you need the procedure of what you need to do for a DR650, just let me know. It wasn't real easy, but it was not difficult. But you will need a T-40 tamper proof torq bit. tcars, John, COG 4157, AMA & ROK Central Jawja AAD

John, I have managed to avoid this problem by sheer fortitude and not losing keys, but I also knew I was on borrowed time. I found a very nice locksmith and key shop here in Jacksonville (FL) who will make a spare key for $5.50 for most any Japanese or HD motorcycle. I've been there twice now and usually have him make me one more than I think I need. It's a good idea. I was riding home last weekend on my ZZR1200 and got gas with my tank bag and gloves on. Somehow I bent the key when closing the gas cap, and gingerly bent it back into shape. It would not go in the ignition so I had to bend it a little more but finally got it in with no problems. Now if I can find a way to carry a spare key on the bike, that would be really helpful. David David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

David, You've got a deal there. Stay friendly with that locksmith. My locksmith does not carry Japaneese key blanks and cannot get them (or won't). I've had to go to the dealer, order a blank (usually $8-$10), and then take it to the locksmith for cutting (another $4-$5). About your bent key problem - I suspect that every Concours owner has had a bent key at one time or another. They are quite soft. Since I have to order from Kawi I cannot find a harder one.

Ken, He rides himself and goes cross-country a few times a year. It takes him about a minute to make a key, which is great. For my ZZR he had an aftermarket blank with the same black rubber on the handle, it just doesn't say Kawasaki. I was not aware K keys are soft, and I'm using one of his now on the bike. David David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

The locksmith I used is in Athens, Ga., Clark County Lock and Key on the Atlanta Highway. They ride also and also keep Jap key blanks in stock. It only took them about 2 hours to take the lock apart, make a key, and then put it back together. Yes, I am rolling once again. As for keeping a key hidden on the bike, most any place I'd put it one would need tools to get to it. I used to keep a spare in one of the dash side pockets, but since you need a key to get into it (both mine have locks) I thought that was somewhat foolish. Now you could hide one in the tool kit, but you will still need either a phillips or an allen wrench to get the side cover off to get to the tools (unless you are using Murph's knobs). I now have a spare for all the bikes except the project bike and its key is still in the lock, on the table, waiting for me to work on it more. After last nights work I think I will need a replacement master cylinder for the rear brake. Now to find one, it has to be here somewhere. That last word, 'somewhere' is the same description of the location of the missing DR key. But I'm not spending two days looking for it this time. I can go to my mc junkyard and find one that will work. I have an idea that every K bike out there uses the same rear master cylinder. Now to check and see. tcars, John, COG 4157, AMA & ROK Central Jawja AAD

You are not going to believe this. Oh yes, you will. I found the key. The one I took the ignition lock out of and had a key made for. I knew it was here somewhere, just wondered how long it would be before someone ran across it. I know, where was it. In my pants pocket. Now the real interesting part, this was a pair of shorts I don't remember having on for at least 3 weeks, so therefore I didn't bother to look. I checked all the other clothes I had worn, all the clothing I took with me, even the dirty laundry. This is a pair of shorts I usually wear just inside the house. Evidently I had them on when I rode the DR into the garage, but I for dang sure do not remember having them on. I do remember having on shorts when I unloaded and put things away, just not that particular pair. So that little ride today ended up costing me almost a franklin. Expensive, but worth it? So here is the best way to find something you have mis-placed, err-lost. Go get a replacement and sure enough, within a short period of time you will find the original. So now I have two spares, guess I will find a place on the bike to put one of the extras. I think this may be the end of this saga. tcars John

Wow, I think I'm going to have to raise my rates! I don't work on automotive locks primarily because I do commercial buildings as a primary business. That doesn't mean I don't know how. I've done a few pro bono projects for the local sports bike crowd, and would probably have a hard time saying no to a local Concours owner.

Locksmith; I was charged $65.00 to take the lock apart and then make two keys. Took them a little over 2 hours. Now the trip there, lunch, and shopping, well over a franklin. Brett: Now that I've found the original key, I looked and there is NO key code on it and it is an official Suzi key, even has it stamped into both sides of the plastic head. I guess it doesn't matter that much since I now have three keys to it. Lesson learned, have written down the code to the others, plus one more item, I now have all of them on ONE key ring. Spares are in my desk. tcars John

I work in a mobile shop, so I come to you. I usualy start with the gas cap. It doesn't have all the wafers, but it will have most. Then I use a method called progression to make the rest of the key. It has never taken me over an hour to do one. On a good day (and some not so good), I can look down the keyhole and make a key just from looking. It takes practise, but then I've been doing it for 27 years.

John, On my Connie, the key code was on a separate piece of metal. The two keys that came with it didn't have the code. Was told to keep the small piece of metal in a safe place.

Duct tape a key somewhere behind a body panel. With the connie, I taped a Givi key stub behind a panel that requires a little work to get to, but not that much. The extra bike key is in the Givi. http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

For some of the old bikes that key code on the key and/or lock should be all you need for a key from a local dealer. It will be a precut key that they may/maynot have stock. A lot of the newer keys will have a code on it which the dealership should be able use to make a new key. If someone on a ZG loses their key chances are someone else probably has a key that will open the gas cap and/or the ignition. Keep that in mind if you don't make a spare key and keep it on your bike.