• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Suzuki Sport Tourer

INteresting read.  Wonder where they got the motor.  Don't recognize it from another model.

Not a lot of wind protection it looks like.

Doesn't mention cruise control.

Chain, not shaft.

I'm interested to see one in person

I think it being chain drive will hurt sales. Most ST riders want shaft drive. I personally would give up a little performance to have hydraulic  valves. The more maintenance free the better.

This isn't new.  the 1250 has been out for several years and that year they moved to new plastics.  I've seen several examples of the older 08's and up with a taller shield, side bags and trunk case for ST use.  I see it as a terrific platform if doing 1-up touring, but for 2-up, my wife thought the back seat was a bit too short.  I would prefer a shaft over the chain as well, but any way you slice it, this bike would be on the sport end of ST and that would tend toward the chain as well as less protection, another shortcoming compared to the established ST norm.  It's another of those cost/benefit questions though.  You can pick these things up much cheaper than ST bikes and have $ to put into the extras you'd need.  I still would prefer a C14 over this though as it provides good sport and the right touch of tour.  :)

I think this one is aimed at the VFR1200 niche more than the C14 / FJR shafty niche.

More St than sT or ST.

I note that among the sales incentives is a "deal" on the accessory luggage.

I'm for anything that'll help Suzuki make it in these very tough times.

Centex said:
I think this one is aimed at the VFR1200 niche more than the C14 / FJR shafty niche.

More St than sT or ST.

I note that among the sales incentives is a "deal" on the accessory luggage.

I'm for anything that'll help Suzuki make it in these very tough times.

The VFR is also a shaft drive bike.  ;)

If this is anything like the 2005 Bandit I own it is definately more sport than touring. I do know my 05 is a great all around bike. Meaning it does a lot of things well but nothing great. I love it for in town use but would rather be on my C14 for anything over 50 miles. The old oil-air cooled engine was practally bullit proof with lots of low & mid range torque. The newer water-cooled motors are supposed to be better. I added after market bags & a trunk, and also lowered it to fit my fiance. she likes to do weekend tours on it with me and my C14.

Very nice. But not 6X nicer than my Connie (including luggage, racks, top case & rack). I've got one in college and one going to grad school and in three years, I'll consider the C-14 when my C-10 is 15.  Or maybe not. ;D

Cap'n Bob said:
Centex said:

Thanks, Cap'n, I'd failed to remember that Honda slipped the shaft into the 1200 so I certainly stand corrected  :-[

That does kinda leave Suzuki out there on their own, I hope that there's some buyers for them in that niche

"dyno measured 94 horsepower ranked at the bottom..."

570 pound curb weight and $750.00 extra for teeny bags and mounts.

Have motorcycle companies begun to lose their minds? Do they really, really think we want something like this and are willing to pay $11,600.00 base price for it?

Really?

I continue to shake my head like I did with the Honda VFR1200 (one of which I have not seen a single example of on the road as of yet).

Dan

It's a Bandit 1250S with a fairing lower and some bolt on bags and trunk.
I've ridden one and it's rather buzzy and not very comfortable.
Over here it's a fair bit cheaper (£7000) where the C14 sells for £12,000.
At that price differential it's probably not a bad buy but that fairing doesn't give much protection, the bags are small, the riding position very upright and the handling isn't stunning.
The motor itself is pretty good but I prefer the older 1200 motor.
Here it's marketed as a Budget Tourer.

I think that's the first online or magazine comparo I've ever seen that basically said the bike was lacking in every category. It must have really been unimpressive. Steve

Centex said:
Cap'n Bob said:
Centex said:

Thanks, Cap'n, I'd failed to remember that Honda slipped the shaft into the 1200 so I certainly stand corrected  :-[

That does kinda leave Suzuki out there on their own, I hope that there's some buyers for them in that niche

Well not totally on they're own. Triumph still has chain drive on the Sprint. Although the sprint is smaller than the larger sport tours like the C14, FJR, ST1300, and now this. But I see it as the smaller of the large displacement sport tours.

Agreed.  I actually saw a Triumph at the bike show (in the parking lot).  Decent bike, but really not in the same caliber as a FJR or Connie (no matter what the magazines write).

A buddy of mine has a 2011 Sprint and he did about 18K kms last summer two up on it. They had no complaints. It is more sport than the Connie and weighs about 200 lbs. less. It would not be my bike, but it is nice.

I don't believe the Zook is aimed at the Connie or even the ST, I believe it was aimed at the Ninja 1000.  Since it has optional bags and really just a Z1000 with more plastic.  I personally don't like the single suzuki headlight, I think the Ninja 1000 looks more modern and capable.

Rode the 1250 back to back with the Ninja 1000 last spring -no comparison .The Ninja is (imho) much better in every catagory.  Sorry ,Suzuki !

Former owner of a Bandit 1200 S.

Bandits are known to be the budget beasts in the used market. Have one and love it for short trips and running around town. Long trips...not so much.

This thread has been funny at times.  The Bandit is a very good all around bike, very capable!  I trade bikes pretty often, and actually enjoyed the 1250 as much as anything with the exception of not having an electric shield.  I have gotten too used to that now!  But, with a center stand the chain is not an issue at all, people spend hundreds of dollars trying to make their full ST bike as comfortable in regards to the bar reach, etc... as most of the standards are right out of the box.  The torque is very good and it pulls good and hard from idle up to, at least way faster than we should be riding on the street!  The optional bags, the V35 Givi's are as good as the old Connie bags for sure and with a decent shield it makes a good ST bike.  The horsepower numbers seem low, but with the torque that it makes it is very hard to complain vs. any of the bikes I have had recently in real world riding.  I rode to a COG rally in the SE last year on a C14 and came back on this...  I have since sold it and am back on an FJR, but sure did like it!

Brian, you mean you still have the FJR?  :))  Gotta be a record! :-\  Hope to see you soon brothah.  Still need to do the RTE somewhere in the middle of the state.

Reid, I still have it and truly plan to ride it all of this coming year!!!  I did find myself wanting to go check out a black C14 though the other day at a harley shop in ATL...  Oh yea, let's get this RTE planned! ;D

My dealer called and is demoing one next month, I was selected to ride it. I'll post a review as soon as I get off...which will be when the cops have to come find me.... :))

If you are really interested in this redressed Bandit & would like to see its full potential from the people who truely appreciate them then check this site out. www.maximum-suzuki.com Lots of good people & great ideas.

ACurtice said:
If you are really interested in this redressed Bandit & would like to see its full potential from the people who truely appreciate them then check this site out. www.maximum-suzuki.com Lots of good people & great ideas.

The only problem with that is that you have to register, just to see the forum.  ???

I can well appreciate how you'd have to register in order to POST on the forum, but to be unable to even VIEW the forum is pretty paranoid.

Steel tube frame is unimpressive, as is the rear shock with no dampening adjustments. I enjoy riding more of a St bike but haven't seen anything even remotely close to my ZZR 1200. The 145rwhp stock and comfortable ergonomics (for a St bike) won me over. I added a taller windscreen which is great. I know that's not the flavor of this forum, but the Suzuki is just a warmed-over Bandit. I almost bought a Bandit back in '08 because a dealer was selling '06 models for $5999, which would be a pretty good deal.

I expected more of Suzuki in this market space.

Cap'n Bob said:
ACurtice said:

The only problem with that is that you have to register, just to see the forum.  ???
Sorry, as a Bandit owner I've been a member for a few years. I thought you'd be able to read the posts.

davidsturgis said:
Steel tube frame is unimpressive, as is the rear shock with no dampening adjustments. I enjoy riding more of a St bike but haven't seen anything even remotely close to my ZZR 1200. The 145rwhp stock and comfortable ergonomics (for a St bike) won me over. I added a taller windscreen which is great. I know that's not the flavor of this forum, but the Suzuki is just a warmed-over Bandit. I almost bought a Bandit back in '08 because a dealer was selling '06 models for $5999, which would be a pretty good deal.

I expected more of Suzuki in this market space.
Actually they didn't import any 06 Bandits to the US. Must have been 07's they were clearing out. Unless they were Blue & white then they would have been 05's and air/oil cooled.