• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SW Rally After Trip Advice

Motomaniac

COG Southwest Area Director
After the rally, my friend Joe and I are going to continue the adventure to the Moab area, then Page and North Rim, Arizona. then stopping in LV on the way home to OC, Cal. My question is really where we should stay for 2 days in the Moab area to hit the roads and Nat. Parks in the area. My first thought was Moab...pretty expensive then Green River seemed fine. Looked at Monticello and Blanding as choices too. We are staying very close to Lake Powell in Page and then at the Lodge(Frontier cabin) at the North Rim from there. We were not planning on camping at any of the sites. Any tips, roads, places we have to see are welcome too. Anyone else that wants to join us is welcome to come too. We plan on getting back 6/14. Thank you  :motonoises: :sign0085:

ProfessorKonk said:
Gouldings Lodge in Monument Valley? From there its a 400 mile romp to LV.
Great suggestion....no rooms there or The View and the Wetherill. But I may check back later for cancellations. Beautiful area! Thank you.

Try Grand Junction CO Russ. Rode home to Hendo NV in a day. Not far from Moab. Several route choices.

Old Man on a Connie said:
Try Grand Junction CO Russ. Rode home to Hendo NV in a day. Not far from Moab. Several route choices.

...or, even Fruita, CO...10 miles West of Grand Junction...several good motel choices there  ;)

Rusty, I like Monticello. It's a typical Utah small town, has a few motels, restraunts, but it is central to some really good riding. From there it is 2 and 1/2 hours to Telluride, Co. Or about 130 miles. Take the road through Dolores up the canyon. From Telluride to Silverton then Ouray then Durango via the million dollar hwy is another 170 miles of some of the best riding ever. You'll also go through the little town of Ridgway where the original True Grit movie was filmed. Overnight in downtown Durango, there are cool old Hotels there.
As far as southeast Utah, Dead horse state park, hwy 128 northeast out of Moab, are really good ones to ride.
The route from Ceder City to Monticello is some really great riding and part of it is covered on Mike's loop. But going east from Torrey you go on hwy 24 to Hanksville. This is through Capitol Reef National park. The road wind through the canyon following the Fremont river. Nice road with plenty to see. One place is Johnsons orchard there is a campground and visitor center. From Hanksville so south for so e excellent riding on hwy 95.  Don't be tempted to go north to I15 to save time! Hwy  95 takes you through some really nice canyons with some high speed sweepers and wide open stretches, it also goes around the north end of Lake Powell-very scenic! A alternative is to go south from Hanksville on hwy 276 to Ticaboo and take the ferry across also a great road, in either case your destination would be Blanding, then Monticello.
If you do you the Colorado loop then its Cortez, Kayenta, Page, its a long 318 miles. From Page go south on hwy 89 down to the junction of 89a. This is a fun stretch of road. From 89a go north to Lee's ferry. Then continue on to Jacob's lake to your cabin. This is fun riding with really good scenery.
For the north rim make sure to do Cape Royal. The road is very twisty and the vistas are awesome.
Sorry to write a book here but I love this area-wish I was going with you.
Hope this helps, Jim

Jim, Great information Thank you!  I was looking at Monticello too. I will check it out again. Do you know anything about Mexican Hat? Was thinking of staying at the Hat Rock Inn and using that as a base for a couple of days before staying a night at the North Rim. Do not know if we will have time to go to Colorado. I have been to all the spots there, just have not been there for 30 years! The way we have it planned we will go thru Capital Reef, Arches, Canyonlands and Monument Valley NP's in our travels. Right now with free cancellations we are staying at Green River, Somewhere near Monticello/Blanding or Mexican Hat, Page (Love to stop in Lee's Ferry), North Rim and Las Vegas. Still looking at different places to stay so if you or others have ideas please let me know.  :motonoises: