• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SWAD's thoughts and musings on the Red Rock 'n Rally regional

OMoaC

WOW! Is there really anything else to say? What a great time it was. A group of folks that had never really met, came together and threw this event. They built it and ya'll came. In droves! From a seed planted somewhere in Colorado and grown in Utah, Southern Nevada and Colorado. Folks from as far away as Canada and the Netherlands. This is a COG and SW area moment to be very proud of. Original expectations were in the low 30's. Final count was 52. Unfortunately 4 had to pass which would have put us at 56. We all hope to see you 4 in AZ for the next regional. What? Yep, planning for the next regional is underway in AZ and I hope to see 100! This will be followed up with a Nor Cal date in later '14. Put on your dancing shoes.
Not enough can be said about the Original Plank Owners for this rally (hereafter referred to as OPO's) that put this together. Mike B in Utah, Scott K in CC itself, Brad S in Colorado, Jim S in So Nev, Jim P in Cent Cal (see Jims post in ride reports for some great pics http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,43966.0.html ), Lisa S in Cent Cal. You guy's Rocked it. Also a big nod goes to Charlie Gary NWAD, Colin Pryor COG IT geek and Steve Smith NEAD that helped us navigate the shark infested waters of COGDOM online.
The Rally itself was laid back and easy. The accommodations were great and the roads were awesome (watch them tar snakes though). The banquet food was outstanding (how 'bout that peach cobbler?) the T-shirts kicked a-- and the company, well........ incredible. How about that raffle?
I can't say enough about how I enjoyed meeting everyone, the stories that were told (and the stories that will be told) and the people in this club. The unofficial motto really does fit "Join for the bike, Stay for the people".
Please make sure you throw a bone to our sponsor's who without their help that raffle would not have happened:
Advanced sport touring
Aerostitch
Rok Straps
Riders of Kawasaki ROK
Baldwin Motorbike Saddles
Whitehorse Press
My Friend Mario with LD Comfort
Carter Powersports in Las Vegas
Rocky Mountain MC/ATV in St. George UT.
South Valley Motorsports in Salt Lake City.
Remember these local shops on your travels. And Always mention COG, SW area and the Red Rock 'n Rally when dealing with MC Vendors. Help spread the word.
But really this thanks goes out to you, the members of COG, Because if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have had such a great time.
Thank You All
See You at the National
Mark Hartman
COG/SWAD  :beerchug: :great: :motonoises: :) ;)

My friend Joe (99 Red BMW) and I had a great time. The organizers did a fantastic job of putting everything together and it was first class all the way! We will do all we can to support the sponsors of the raffle. Enjoyed meeting many interesting people and the Rally rides were great. Wish we had time to ride them all. The persons we rode up with from the L.A. area were very fun even though the heat was rough from Baker to St.George. Thank you to Jack (the leader) his daughter Brianna, Attila and Mike. Joe and I continued on our trip through Mike's Loop to Moab (2 days), then Mexican Hat, North Rim (Grand Canyon) and a final night in Las Vegas before our return yesterday. 2100 miles and 7 Natl.Parks. Great start and finish! Thank you again Mark and team for a memorable trip. Pictures to come....... :motonoises:  :beerchug:  :great:

Great rally, people & roads.  It's going to be a hard act to follow in AZ but we are already working on it.  First loop is "in the can", Brian L's loop.  I rode it the Sat before the Rally.  It will rock & knock your socks off.  Loop includes lots of red rocks, a drop down a mountain side ( 130+ turns ) to a town perched on a mountain side, a ride through a secluded canyon with wineries, lots of back road byways through tall pines and lush meadows.  It's the OTHER Arizona.

The torch has been past...rider up, open the gate...spin bull spin.

The Bruces had a good time and would like to thank the rally organizers for all of their hard work.  The Bruces enjoyed meeting many people - and especially enjoyed the rides to and from CC and the trip to Zion.
Here is a pic of Bruce, Bruce, and Bruce at Zion -

1da4a02177edf661b8af0c7cd5a53395_zps1c78d121.jpg

I would also like to thank Bruce, Bruce, and Bruce for their patience, camaraderie, and the gut-full of guffaws I was able to enjoy!
I'm curious to learn more about this Arizona effort..... Bruce may want to come too!

Stubby said:
Hey Bruce ( or sluggo ) it was nice to meet you and all the other Bruce's  :beerchug:

And you as we'll, Stubby.  I had a great time - and I think the Bruce's did as well.

notsluggo said:
I'm curious to learn more about this Arizona effort..... Bruce may want to come too!
Bill, you're all invited, Bruce, Bruce and "your other brother" Bruce.

Time frame will be somewhat similar to that of the CC.  The rally will be held in Northern AZ, the OTHER AZ.  Some of the places will have a ring of familiarity but hopefully many will not, thus being pleasant surprises, off the beaten track, to most not having an intimate familiarity with this general area.

Hopefully, we can set something up for the long trekkers spending an extra day, either side of the rally date, or coming in from the east.  A little visit to the Sign Of The Beast, Old 666...carretera del diablo de las montanas. Bring your trident and but red running shoes on your Connie.

Bert