• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Test rode a 1200RT today

drop_center

To make a long story short, fantastic bike with two deal breakers. 1) Too much shaft jack 2) Telelever front end lacks pretty much all feel whatsoever.

I came away from the ride hoping the C14 is going to be the one. since I'm running out of bikes to really move me. I am going to try and get a ride on one this coming week, renting one if I have to.  I wouldn't say the 1200RT was heavy at all, but I'm not sure how much heavier I'd want to go.  Has anyone ridden both to compare? 

Yes. I bought the C14.

The R1200RT was about the most comfortable bike, for me, that I ever sat on straight off the showroom floor. I enjoyed riding the bike, and I like the quirky BMW twins. It would have been my second choice behind the Connie. The price and BMW's final drive issues at the time helped make the decision for me. Well, that and the awesome motor in the C14!  :great:

I have a guy close by that has an '08 for rent.  $198/day.  I would undoubtedly get a '12 or '13 but would it be worth my time to ride the old one? Probably has the OEM sheet tires and no mods.

I owned a 2002 1150RT with the boxer engine and test drove a new 2012 1200 RT. It took me over 3,000 Miles to break in my original boxer. The engine was like driving a paint can mixer until the bike broke in. After that it smoothed out. The engine also burned 1/2 a qt of oil every 1,000 miles and that was also normal until break in. Spoke to some 1200RT owners and they still burn oil and take a while to break in (Smooth out). I also felt that the 1150RT and newer 1200RT are bit more agile then the 1400c. In the end, I choose the Kawasaki engine, smoothness and price over the BMW agility and heritage. Not to put the Beamer down but in my opinion for the price Kawasaki builds the best Sport Tourer on the market. Even better then the overpriced Honda 1300ST ABS and the lower tech Yamaha 1300 FJR...

Besides not only that but Kawasaki gave me 0% interest for 5 years. Better then the 5k I was planning to put down on the BMW to get the monthly payment I wanted. Good thing since I spent $3,500 on new gear to date.

Can't beat that...

John

Holy crap, how did you swing that no interest loan? I do have good/great credit...

I also heard about that oil burning issue and ultra long break-in.  All I can say is "Whatever" BMW burning oil is like unbalanced tires. You can live with it but it's just not cool to send guys out riding that way.  Now that the beemer is out of the picture, I'm starting to get really, really excited about a C14!

Oh and if the 14 is "a bit" less agile I'll be fine with that.  If the 14 was significantly less agile, then I'd be worried.

Have both a C14 and a R1150RT.  The RT is more comfortable to ride.  The C14 is way more fun.  That's all you need to know.
:great:

I've been a long-time owner of BMW and I recently sold my K-bike. In looking to replace it, I test rode a couple of RT's, but decided to go with the Concours. The RT felt more comfortable, but it didn't run as smooth as the C14. Size and weight were about the same, but the C14 has the edge on handling. In the end, lack of a dealer network (the closest BMW dealer to me is two hours away) and price on the Concours were huge factors in buying the C14.

Here is the offer. You can choose 0% for 5 years or $1,000 rebate. If you want you can roll warranty and accessories into the 0% deal as well. The lowest rate we found other then the Kawasaki 0% deal was 2.59% for 5 years through my wife's credit union. After doing the math it was better to go with the 0% then $1,000 rebate if planning to pay out through full term. I tend to pay stuff of early so I may or may not have made the right decision going with the 0% for five but in the end it makes me feel better anyway.

Here is the Kawasaki link for the deal. Eventhough is says as low as 3.99% just pull down the current deal categories, pick the Concours and you will see the 0% offer...

http://www.kawasaki.com/currentdeals/?cm_mmc=SpringFDI-_-KMCPromo-_-HomepagePromo-_-CurrentDealsLanding

John

RyanP said:
Holy crap, how did you swing that no interest loan? I do have good/great credit...

I also heard about that oil burning issue and ultra long break-in.  All I can say is "Whatever" BMW burning oil is like unbalanced tires. You can live with it but it's just not cool to send guys out riding that way.  Now that the beemer is out of the picture, I'm starting to get really, really excited about a C14!

Oh and if the 14 is "a bit" less agile I'll be fine with that.  If the 14 was significantly less agile, then I'd be worried.

If you want agile, put some good tires on the 14 with a 55 aspect ratio on the rear. Big difference....

I ride a 2007 1200 RTP  at work and own a 2012 C14. The BMW has its advantages, less aggressive riding style for longer rides, feels more maneuverable, ( but it may just be the crappy OEM tires on the C14)  optional heated seat as well as grips.

But I do not like the dry clutch on the BMW. If you do any feathering of the clutch during low speed maneuvers you can burn it up pretty quick, and a clutch job is not cheap on a BMW.

The C14 is quicker, and less expensive to buy and maintain. Check on the cost of valve adjustments and all the other preventative maintenance you will have done at the dealership  before making a decision.

ddtmoto said:
RyanP said:

If you want agile, put some good tires on the 14 with a 55 aspect ratio on the rear. Big difference....
+1 Rode with a buddy on a RT12. He was getting ticked everytime I pulled him getting on the freeway. Set up suspension and tires for sport, seat, bars and windscreen for tour and your all around golden.

Just my experience, and maybe it was a bad day, but post selling my Ultra Classic, and prior to purchasing the C14, I had my sights set on the BMW. I went in to the local shop ready to make a deal, and was not treated particularly well. Once someone decided to speak with me, I was told the price, and when I started to try to discuss, was told to "take it or leave it." I left it, drove straight to local Kawi shop and made a deal on the spot.

In hindsight, I am pleased the Beemer folks weren't overly interested in my money. The C14 is by far the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Every moment is enjoyable.

Can I have an "Amen"?

C14 police edition with oem tires?. You think you got it bad, we had KZ1000Ps on oem runflat Dumlops, in the day the KZs were it, other that HD. Boy, the job has come a long ways, at least with equipment...

RyanP said:
Has anyone tried to lower the front by a equal amount gained by the taller 55 tire?  Sharpen the steering even more?

That changes the sag settings on the front end by removing preload. You would lose precious fork travel too. You could go to the effort to raise the fork tubes in the clamps. The 55 rear is the way to go, It has a lot to do with the profile of the 'good tires' also. A huge up grade, and the speedo is much closer to spot on. Handles like a dream. The tires dont last forever, try a 55 next time...enjoy