• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Test Rode the new 1250 GS today

lieu910

Moped
This review comes with the perspective of owning a 2017 R1200RS with the previous gen water cooled boxer making 125hp.

The new GS is rated at 136HP I believe by virtue of the new "shift cam" engine. The new GS also has the TFT display, ESA with adjustable height, quick shift assist pro, CC, heated seat & grips. A host of other features I am probably going to be remiss at having knowledge of, but you get the idea.

I am 5"11 with a 31 inch inseam, and had no problem flat footing the GS. The adjustable suspension height can be set to "low" to make it easier for the vertically challenged. The GS feels light and manageable at every point, be it peddling around via leg power or highway speeds. It just feels very manageable, maneuverable and light at all times. In the hour I spent on the bike, I ran through the mountains, and did some freeway time as well. In the twisty bits, the GS is a weapon. It corners very well, makes mid corner adjustments a breeze, and is very stable. Noticeably more composed than my C14. The GS ergos are very comfortable, and the wind protection was really good as well, which surprised me. TFT display was great, and the controls were all really intuitive and nicely thought out.

Now to the major difference for this year, the engine. The older 125hp boxer is a decently quick bike. The new boxer flat out stomps! There is noticeably more power in the mid and upper ranges, and the new engine really likes to rev. So for example, a 60-90 mph top gear roll on felt much stronger on the new boxer. Power delivery is very smooth, and cruising at highway speeds the engine is quite smooth and pleasant just like my boxer.

MSRP was 22K, which is a lot of money. However, when I consider a new Versys 1K is $18K, and has less poke, and chain drive, than the GS, than it seems more rational. Honestly, as much as I like the Versy 1K, I would spend the money and buy the GS.

Conclusion: Very impressive, but I doubt a GS is for me right now. I might however be tempted to sell the C14 and my RS in a year or so for an RT, or GS Adventure and go down to one bike.

Funny and just an observation, but decent interest here in soft upgrades to produce an $18K Versys, less power, chain drive. However a GS costing not much more with a new engine, and nobody seems to care. Guessing it's just a BMW thing. 

For me, it was absolutely a BMW thing....  I have a '14 GS.  It was combination upgrade from a KLR and a C10.  I have been enamored with the GS since I bought my KLR, it was always part of "the plan".  But coming from the finest in 1980s technology the GS is amazing....  The added HP is not as interesting to me as the TFT display. 

What am I missing?  OP says a 1k Versys is $18k, which sounded absurd to me.  My local dealer is selling an '18 for a dollar under $11k.  Thats half of a new GS/RT, not a few grand.

If we were talkin a Concours running 2-3 grand under a BMW then yea, but????

There's the additional costs associated with a GS that are probably why you don't see many people interested.  When have you seen a GS stuck in the middle of a river without a support crew of people to pull the rider and bike out of a place no one go to on their own?  Actually, the reason you don't see the solo rider stuck in the middle of the river is they probably didn't make it out to civilization after leaving their GS in the middle of the river. 

Back to the original point.  The pizza and beer costs for that support crew, put the GS bikes out of most people's reach for affordability. 

0.jpg

Back to the original point.  The pizza and beer costs for that support crew, put the GS bikes out of most people's reach for affordability. 

hqdefault.jpg

Chris

luv2fly said:
What am I missing?  OP says a 1k Versys is $18k, which sounded absurd to me.  My local dealer is selling an '18 for a dollar under $11k.  Thats half of a new GS/RT, not a few grand.

Yes, luckily when we went through our GS phase I had an employer that provided free legal assistance as a benefit.

BMW had Tech Service Bulletins (TSBs) per MAJOR failures on both our GSs. Dealerships refused to acknowledge them, BMW NA refused to acknowledge them.

6 weeks later in negotiating,  they acknowledged the Lawyers within 48 hours. Hopefully BMW NA is under new management but I doubt it. 

BadgerApaches said:
luv2fly said:

Yes, luckily when we went through our GS phase I had an employer that provided free legal assistance as a benefit.

BMW had Tech Service Bulletins (TSBs) per MAJOR failures on both our GSs. Dealerships refused to acknowledge them, BMW NA refused to acknowledge them.

6 weeks later in negotiating,  they acknowledged the Lawyers within 48 hours. Hopefully BMW NA is under new management but I doubt it.

That doesn't make any sense. If the mother ship issues a TSB, they are legally bound to honor it. Maybe there is more to the story. I had a couple TSB's on my BMW's over the years, never any problem. Sorry to hear of your trouble.   

Jacquelyn said:
luv2fly said:

Resting my case with this link. This is what I was referring to, not the base Versys.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2019-Versys-1000-SE-LT-Plus

Wasn't even aware this bike existed.  Makes your original point valid. 

Jacquelyn said:
BadgerApaches said:
luv2fly said:

That doesn't make any sense. If the mother ship issues a TSB, they are legally bound to honor it. Maybe there is more to the story. I had a couple TSB's on my BMW's over the years, never any problem. Sorry to hear of your trouble. 

No, it did not make any sense.

We contacted Mischler's in Beaver Dam, Gina's in Iowa City, SW Sales in Milwaukee. They ALL acknowledged the TSBs existed, and refused to follow the TSB directions. BMW NA refused. There is nothing "more to the story" than BMW is fully aware of their severe safety problems, but are RELYING on customers not having access to a lawyer. We tried for 6 weeks before contacting the lawyers. Now we have these platforms to share these horror stories to save other people grief, $$$, time, and very possibly accidents.

There are extraordinary tensions between BMW GmBH, NA, and their NA dealer network. We found out the hard way that the biggest reason is that when a BMW Dealership does TSB/Warranty work on bikes it takes a very long time for BMW to compensate the dealers for their work.

We had 1 decent BMW bike and that was an '87 K100LT, IIRC. The '96 GS was out of commission for 9 weeks of riding season while getting a new gearbox at just 3600 miles. WAY too much trailer time hauling BMWs around.     

I would never buy a shaft-driven BMW without an extended warranty.  I just can't accept what many BMW owners consider to be "normal" on their bikes when the final drives fail with no warning at all.

I have this one thread on my mind when I think of the shaft-driven BMWs.  A rider on a GS was up in Alaska on a three week vacation from Texas.  His final drive failed with no warning.  He found there are no parts in Alaska at all.  And the only two motorcycle shops in the area didn't have the tools needed, even if he had the parts.  I have no idea how he got home.

Many owners go through their whole ownership time with no failures and the owners of recent models say the problem has been fixed.  But I have to wonder...

Chris

Daboo said:
I would never buy a shaft-driven BMW without an extended warranty.  I just can't accept what many BMW owners consider to be "normal" on their bikes when the final drives fail with no warning at all.

I have this one thread on my mind when I think of the shaft-driven BMWs.  A rider on a GS was up in Alaska on a three week vacation from Texas.  His final drive failed with no warning.  He found there are no parts in Alaska at all.  And the only two motorcycle shops in the area didn't have the tools needed, even if he had the parts.  I have no idea how he got home.

Many owners go through their whole ownership time with no failures and the owners of recent models say the problem has been fixed.  But I have to wonder...

Chris

I get it, but to be fair you are talking about final drive failures that occurred quite a long while ago. 

BadgerApaches said:
Jacquelyn said:
BadgerApaches said:
luv2fly said:

No, it did not make any sense.

We contacted Mischler's in Beaver Dam, Gina's in Iowa City, SW Sales in Milwaukee. They ALL acknowledged the TSBs existed, and refused to follow the TSB directions. BMW NA refused. There is nothing "more to the story" than BMW is fully aware of their severe safety problems, but are RELYING on customers not having access to a lawyer. We tried for 6 weeks before contacting the lawyers. Now we have these platforms to share these horror stories to save other people grief, $$$, time, and very possibly accidents.

There are extraordinary tensions between BMW GmBH, NA, and their NA dealer network. We found out the hard way that the biggest reason is that when a BMW Dealership does TSB/Warranty work on bikes it takes a very long time for BMW to compensate the dealers for their work.

We had 1 decent BMW bike and that was an '87 K100LT, IIRC. The '96 GS was out of commission for 9 weeks of riding season while getting a new gearbox at just 3600 miles. WAY too much trailer time hauling BMWs around.   

Thanks for the reply, again sorry to hear of your trouble, that's not right. So, the fact that the dealers were digging their heals in because of the poor turnaround on compensation would qualify as "more to the story" I was not inferring you were the problem, so take a breath.

I am fairly close to three BMW shop owners, and belong to a couple clubs, and I have never heard of these dealers refusing to honor any TSB, so hence my "curiosity".

As far as the internet being a platform for "informing" people, I would say it's not a very reliable source when it comes to brand matters like this. I always take things like this with a grain of salt, which is not to say that I am not empathetic. Just as the fact that my very positive ownership experiences with BMW's as well as the people I know and ride with are no guarantee to prospective buyers.

I think the answer to my question and where the conversation went are really statement enough for me to know going forward that any reviews such as the one I did on the new 1250 are probably wasted keystrokes if it is anything BMW related, which is fine. Gotta know your audience, and now I know.

Moving on...look for my review on the new Versys as soon as I can find a dealer that will let me ride one BEFORE I buy it. 

Take a breath? Grain of salt?

OK.

All mechanical things have issues. Firearms, guitars, door knobs, motorcycles. We fix them or replace them.

Myself and another roundel flying rider would go to the workshop of the late and great Bill Fleming on Saturdays, for his coffee clutch and banana bread gatherings.

Around the wood stove we met with stories of gatherings and new friends.

Even after BMW ran him out of C&D motors in Freeport, Illinois, Bill was the designer for the electrical systems on the BMW NA police bike fleets.

No one else could figure out. Under contract Bill did that. He was a great friend and is sorely missed, but his spirit still soars. Just not in BMW.

If only a Law firm can get BMW NA to follow up on their own TSBs, what Bill had to say was confirmed; ride an Airhead, fix it your self.
You have to fix it your self as BMW STOPPED making parts. Network.   

This is a network of riders and we can share such facts. If you would like to dispute said BMW facts contact me, I'll ask the lawyers to possibly forward you the pertinent informations.

Commuting, touring, rally camping, recreating on dirt bikes for over 35 years, and racing motorcycles in CCS.

There's no room in BMW camp for the regular rider anymore, these online "BMW reviews" are worth a grain of salt to any rider that's been around for 20+ years.     

Jacquelyn said:
Thanks for the reply, again sorry to hear of your trouble, that's not right. So, the fact that the dealers were digging their heals in because of the poor turnaround on compensation would qualify as "more to the story" I was not inferring you were the problem, so take a breath.

I am fairly close to three BMW shop owners, and belong to a couple clubs, and I have never heard of these dealers refusing to honor any TSB, so hence my "curiosity".

As far as the internet being a platform for "informing" people, I would say it's not a very reliable source when it comes to brand matters like this. I always take things like this with a grain of salt, which is not to say that I am not empathetic. Just as the fact that my very positive ownership experiences with BMW's as well as the people I know and ride with are no guarantee to prospective buyers.

I think the answer to my question and where the conversation went are really statement enough for me to know going forward that any reviews such as the one I did on the new 1250 are probably wasted keystrokes if it is anything BMW related, which is fine. Gotta know your audience, and now I know.

Moving on...look for my review on the new Versys as soon as I can find a dealer that will let me ride one BEFORE I buy it. 

BadgerApaches said:
Take a breath? Grain of salt?

OK.

All mechanical things have issues. Firearms, guitars, door knobs, motorcycles. We fix them or replace them.

Myself and another roundel flying rider would go to the workshop of the late and great Bill Fleming on Saturdays, for his coffee clutch and banana bread gatherings.

Around the wood stove we met with stories of gatherings and new friends.

Even after BMW ran him out of C&D motors in Freeport, Illinois, Bill was the designer for the electrical systems on the BMW NA police bike fleets.

No one else could figure out. Under contract Bill did that. He was a great friend and is sorely missed, but his spirit still soars. Just not in BMW.

If only a Law firm can get BMW NA to follow up on their own TSBs, what Bill had to say was confirmed; ride an Airhead, fix it your self.
You have to fix it your self as BMW STOPPED making parts. Network.   

This is a network of riders and we can share such facts. If you would like to dispute said BMW facts contact me, I'll ask the lawyers to possibly forward you the pertinent informations.

Commuting, touring, rally camping, recreating on dirt bikes for over 35 years, and racing motorcycles in CCS.

There's no room in BMW camp for the regular rider anymore, these online "BMW reviews" are worth a grain of salt to any rider that's been around for 20+ years.     

Jacquelyn said:

What are you upset about? I am not disputing anything you claimed.

You seemingly got your nose out of joint when I wondered out loud if there was more to your original short story about why the TSB was not honored. Your follow up reply did shed more light on the very lame reason the dealers denied your TSB work. I can't help the FACT that that the owners of BMW dealerships I personally know do not behave in this manner, or that my self or the dozens of BMW owners that I know have not had an experience like yours. By the way, stating my experience in contrast to yours is not in any way an attack on you or a dispute.

Furthermore, I get it....we all share our stories good and bad. Does that mean it's gospel and others will have the same experience? No, it does not, and hence my belief that it all get's processed in context and given some consideration and perspective.

"No room in the BMW camp for regular riders"? What does that mean? This one actually had me laughing, as I contrast your statement to myself and others I have known (very few riding airheads by the way). I have been riding for nearly 40 years and have owned several BMW's as well as numerous others. I'm about as "regular" of a rider as you will find my friend, and many of the people I ride with that own a BMW are much of the same. They are not any different than most riders I meet that are riding a C14 or an FJR, etc.

He taught us the how and why the BMW final drive failures are just one symptom of a corporation out of touch with people.

The moto industry and people.
The auto industry and people.

It's just about people being respectful and decent to each other. Several of your posts now have shown that is still not an option at BMW Moto., or most of their people on line. That's fine.

No respect whatsoever for even your own 2 wheeled friends on a different brand. Bizarre behavior we discussed and analyzed from the inside of that wanna be giant, and all their money.

All their BMW money can't buy humans, they buy puppets who obey, and accuse strangers of lying. KISS; greed. Ciao!     

Jacquelyn said:
Daboo said:

Chris

I get it, but to be fair you are talking about final drive failures that occurred quite a long while ago.

http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/2013-bmw-r1200rt-loaded-only-1500-miles.2329/#post-31521

So that Iron Butter is lying about his BMW FD failure? Just another guy with his nose out of shape?  :rotflmao:

....and this YouTuber is just making a final drive replacement video on his 1200 GS for monetization?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdokm-XEt6c

....and June 2018 this bloke in England has replaced his front and rear shock at 2700 pounds, or $3408 USD. On HIS GS. He must just be a little sniveler too, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5qALbOD0Lc

We haven't looked at this in several years as we've all moved on to bikes like the FJR, Concours, Motus, KTMs, etc.. Now that I just do a cursory look-a-round, looks like it has actually gotten worse. Imagine that?

BadgerApaches said:
Jacquelyn said:
Daboo said:

Chris

http://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/2013-bmw-r1200rt-loaded-only-1500-miles.2329/#post-31521

So that Iron Butter is lying about his BMW FD failure? Just another guy with his nose out of shape?  :rotflmao:

....and this YouTuber is just making a final drive replacement video on his 1200 GS for monetization?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdokm-XEt6c

....and June 2018 this bloke in England has replaced his front and rear shock at 2700 pounds, or $3408 USD. On HIS GS. He must just be a little sniveler too, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5qALbOD0Lc

We haven't looked at this in several years as we've all moved on to bikes like the FJR, Concours, Motus, KTMs, etc.. Now that I just do a cursory look-a-round, looks like it has actually gotten worse. Imagine that?

Uh oh somebody needs a hug. 

It's really a weird and frankly sad state when as a member of this forum and a fellow C14 owner, I am not even disagreeing with you, or disputing anything with you relative to your bad experience, yet you feel compelled to look for more validation to an argument that does not exist so you can feel validated. They have doctors and couches and meds for this kind of thing, and your insurance may even cover it. Worth looking into.

For the third time, I have not disputing anything you claimed insofar as your experiences, or anyone else. 

Again, very sorry to hear of your troubles. The only polite point I made in this entire conversation was that my experience owning BMW's has been quite positive to this point, and has been very similar with the people I have been close with over the last 20-30 years. My positive experience does not come with any guarantee for me or anyone else, and I never came close to even implying that. Very sorry that does not fit your narrative, which seems to really get your shorts in knots and set you off in the direction of google searches and conspiracy theories in some lame endeavor to convince us of something that we do not need to be convinced of.

A functioning rational adult my say "gee thanks for being empathetic about the trouble I had with my BMW, glad to hear your experiences have been more positive"

Best of luck, ride safe.

BadgerApaches said:
He taught us the how and why the BMW final drive failures are just one symptom of a corporation out of touch with people.

The moto industry and people.
The auto industry and people.

It's just about people being respectful and decent to each other. Several of your posts now have shown that is still not an option at BMW Moto., or most of their people on line. That's fine.

No respect whatsoever for even your own 2 wheeled friends on a different brand. Bizarre behavior we discussed and analyzed from the inside of that wanna be giant, and all their money.

All their BMW money can't buy humans, they buy puppets who obey, and accuse strangers of lying. KISS; greed. Ciao!   

I see..now I don't respect anyone riding different brands. HELLO...I ride a "different" brand. This is just plain weird and incoherent babble. Yes, BMW bought me. I am their puppet...spot on my friend. Love the way you now falsely claim I am calling people liars. This has now entered fantasy and conspiracy levels.         

Jacquelyn said:
Guess it's time to buy that FJR1300ES I've been kicking myself for not buying.

I went with the Feejer in 2013 and haven't regretted it....well...other than the C14 being able to out run/accelerate it.  :'(

Now for my BMW horror story. A friend of mine owns a 2005 R1200?? and he does a lot of 2-up riding with his girlfriend. One of the universal joints inside the shaft drive system gave up and before he discovered it, it had caused collateral damage and was not cheap to get fixed. He loves the bike, it gets fantastic fuel mileage and handles great.

BTW, Jacquelyn, nicely written review and I enjoyed reading it. That new shift-cam technology BMW has come up with is really clever. A few years down the road we'll all get to see how it holds up and I hope it succeeds. BMW is introducing it on the S1000RR as well so they're betting on it heavily.

m in sc said:
my ex wife used to do the warranty claims for the local BMW shop in Charlotte. BMW is pretty bad these days, i'd never own a modern one, ever. Having seen failures up close and talking to the techs... unreal.

https://www.motorcycle.com/top10/the-10-most-reliable-motorcycle-companies.html/3

Yes. We went through some very expensive minefields before turning to the lawyers and cutting BMW bike ties. That was some years ago, I figured they MAY have improved, giving them the benefit of the doubt.

A quick search tells otherwise. It's gotten worse. Love the Airheads!

The owner of Bob's BMW gave the MOA Owner's News a tour of his museum.  In the magazine article, he was quoted that the new BMWs would last only 10 years before they began falling apart.  And it didn't matter if the bike was ridden, or stored in a garage.  It was just the nature of the electronics and plastics, if I remember right.  It surprised me that the owner of one of the largest BMW dealerships in the country would make a statement like that.

And then the local BMW dealer has a sign in the service department saying they won't work on a bike older than 10 years.

I think they are great bikes.  Their innovation is superb.  But in the quest to make the bike as light as possible, IMHO, they lost the quality control.  I don't own a BMW car, but I hear they spend a lot of time in the dealership. 

Chris

Yup.  As the saying goes, they don't make them like they used to.  ;)

I was just passing along what someone in the know feels about them.  And the owner of one of the largest BMW dealerships in the country should know what he's talking about.

A fellow BMW owner at church was talking with me on Sunday.  He said when he brought his R1200GS in for yet another fuel strip replacement, he wanted to take a G310 out for a ride.  He couldn't see one, so asked the salesman if one was available.  He was told they have no plans at the moment to bring any more in.  Something about the quality control being really bad and till it was sorted out, no more would be brought in.  That may have just been the normal salesman banter, trying to sound like he had an inside scoop on things, but it makes you wonder.

Chris

This is an interesting group of postings. I'll add to it. I once owned a 1975 R75/5. Good bike, horrible ergonomics for me, I am tall. Since, I have owned many, many bikes, because I love motorcycles. Not one more BMW. Not because I don't care for the brand, or dislike what they build, but mostly from lack of dealer support in the area where I live. In recent times, the friends I have who do ride BMWs spend more time on repairs than anyone else, problems ranging from goofy front brake light switches, ABS problems, driveline recalls and failures, the list goes on. The single most frightening thing about BMW ownership is being tied to the dealership and their computer. A really great local, nearby dealer would cancel some of the inconvenience, but such does not exist everywhere. Not where I live, or many places while traveling.

I agree Buzz, thats the single reason why a BMW or Triumph is not in my future anytime soon here in Cleveland OH, lack of dealers. Man, that Triumph sport tourer was a NICE bike too.

Buzzard said:
...The single most frightening thing about BMW ownership is being tied to the dealership and their computer. A really great local, nearby dealer would cancel some of the inconvenience, but such does not exist everywhere. Not where I live, or many places while traveling.
Being tied to the BMW dealer's computer does bother me, but that's a feeling I have in general.  Not specific to BMW, though they and some other manufacturers are making that more prevalent.

On my 75 VW Rabbit, there was an oil change reminder that would show up on the dash.  The trick to resetting it, was to push the end of a paperclip into a small hole, if I remember right.  A low tech solution to something useful.  On my BMW, I need to buy an expensive (@ $400) GS-911 tool to reset the service reminder on my dash, or pay my local dealer an hour of shop time at @ $110 per hour to reset it.  On my Suzuki Burgman that I started with several years ago, if you wanted to know what was wrong with the bike, you needed to know what malfunction codes the bike had.  The process was simple.  You could hook up a special tool that the dealer used, or you could jump two pins on a connector with a paper clip and read the code on the dash.  Simple. 

When I go cross-country, I bring my GS-911 with me and the service manual on a DVD.  My hope is that if my bike does break down, I can still get it fixed.

Chris

This really has become nothing to do with the new R1250, and has just devolved into a BMW hate post. To each their own, we all have a right to our opinions. I'll not waste my time doing a review here for the new RT.

None of the posts in this thread or "internet wisdom" impacts the high level of satisfaction I have had after decades of owning a BMW, and the same for the dozens of people in my direct line of sight. I've enjoyed good reliability, good dealer support, and the features and performance of my BMW's have always made the long distance trips I have taken even more enjoyable.

I am not dismissing the people that have had bad experiences with BMW's. What I am saying is that those testimonials are not foregone conclusions for every BMW owner. The fact is, there is a much bigger sample size of satisfied owners than their are dissatisfied owners.

Regardless, I'm not a big brand guy or kool-aid drinker or doom and gloom subscriber. Buy what you like and YMMV.         

Jacquelyn said:
This really has become nothing to do with the new R1250, and has just devolved into a BMW hate post. To each their own, we all have a right to our opinions. I'll not waste my time doing a review here for the new RT.

None of the posts in this thread or "internet wisdom" impacts the high level of satisfaction I have had after decades of owning a BMW, and the same for the dozens of people in my direct line of sight. I've enjoyed good reliability, good dealer support, and the features and performance of my BMW's have always made the long distance trips I have taken even more enjoyable.

I am not dismissing the people that have had bad experiences with BMW's. What I am saying is that those testimonials are not foregone conclusions for every BMW owner. The fact is, there is a much bigger sample size of satisfied owners than their are dissatisfied owners.

Regardless, I'm not a big brand guy or kool-aid drinker or doom and gloom subscriber. Buy what you like and YMMV.       
Please don't assume that the comments you have received in this thread represent the whole COG community.  Let's not punish the rest of us because of the comments of the few.  I've never owned a BMW and don't have enough knowledge to post a comment positve or negative.  I'm always open to hearing your opinion, or that of another COGGER that has ridden anything that I haven't.  There is always going to be opposing opinions about EVERYTHING.  Put some armor on your feelings and continue to post about whatever you'd like.  An old car salesman I used to work with used to say that there is a butt for every seat.  In this situation, that means that there ARE some that want to hear what you have to say.  When you ride the new RT, please come back and give your review. :motonoises:

Jacquelyn said:

For that, I'd be grateful.

No, it's not a BMW hate post, and therein lies the rub with today's BMW BS (MOA) marketing postings on the interwebs.

Several decades ago I met some of my best friends of today, at BMW rallies. Airheads. I still help them get their Airhead fleets out onto the roads every year to keep the bikes running.

BMW NA has ZERO interest in keeping ANY of their heritage bikes alive. Fine, then they sell $25K shiny things that are unfixable. Fine. Don't expect the masses to sit up and beg for more of that manure.

Quality machinery that  a factory stands behind, you bet!! Won't stand behind their own TSB?! Scheisse!!! 

According to the title of this thread, we're supposed to be talking about the test ride of the bike.  There was no questions about BMW as a company.  There is no poll about how satisfied anyone is with the way BMW handles warranty claims.  It's possible to ride a BMW without owning one.  There might be a situation where one would rent one for a short time such as an Alps tour or just flying somewhere and renting for a few days.  Seems to me the OP is being helpful by posting his opinion of RIDING the bike not owning it.  There is nothing wrong with people voicing their opinions in a thread.  That's why we're here.  Could we give the OP a break and talk about RIDING the BMW he took for a test ride?  I'd love to hear others opinions/thoughts on this particular model.  Who else has ridden one?  Tell us what you think of the bike......not BMW or it's business practices.  If that's what is desired, start your own thread about BMW the company. ;)

wait. it was reviewed by the OP, (cool, glad you like it, very cool) which then led to our experiences with the brand. Nobody disputed the review. I fail to see the problem with the following discussion.  If it was going to be a siloed commentary, maybe the admin should lock the thread and delete all replies except the original post.

I appreciate the reviews.  I enjoy reading another rider's review far more than a motorcycle magazine review.  Most reviews by the motorcycle magazine reviewers could be written by anyone with a knowledge of English and a copy of the manufacturer's press release.

Ken Ash had some outstanding reviews when he was alive.  Those are the best around.  He got into how the bike worked for the real person, even to the point of pointing out the height of the mirrors and their susceptibility of striking car mirrors when filtering.  You won't find that out anywhere.

Jacquelyn, I'll be very interested in your review.  My local dealer lets me take out any bike other than the S1000RR.  I took the RT out last summer for about an hour and a half, so got a decent feel for it.

Chris

If it was going to be a siloed commentary, maybe the admin should lock the thread and delete all replies except the original post.
You have a point there Mark.  I guess the thing to do when making a post such as the OP did, is to state up front in the post that it is a thread only about the riding experience and nothing else.  I have seen that before and it seemed to help. 
The only reason I jumped into this thread was that the OP started a thread about one thing and it turned into something else that was controversial.  The OP wasn't real happy about what the thread turned into because of all the off topic comments.  Once all that happened we ended up with the OP stating: "I'll not waste my time doing a review here for the new RT."  I don't think we'd have heard that if all the posts were on topic.  If all of the off topic posts were in a thread about the BMW dealer experience, then maybe everyone would be happy and I wouldn't be attempting to play peacekeeper.  Being a freaking Libra, I'm cursed with the desire for peace, love and harmony.  Sometimes that works out for me and sometimes not.

Daboo said:
I appreciate the reviews.  I enjoy reading another rider's review far more than a motorcycle magazine review.  Most reviews by the motorcycle magazine reviewers could be written by anyone with a knowledge of English and a copy of the manufacturer's press release.

Ken Ash had some outstanding reviews when he was alive.  Those are the best around.  He got into how the bike worked for the real person, even to the point of pointing out the height of the mirrors and their susceptibility of striking car mirrors when filtering.  You won't find that out anywhere.

Jacquelyn, I'll be very interested in your review.  My local dealer lets me take out any bike other than the S1000RR.  I took the RT out last summer for about an hour and a half, so got a decent feel for it.

Chris
:iagree:

BadgerApaches said:
Jacquelyn said:

For that, I'd be grateful.

No, it's not a BMW hate post, and therein lies the rub with today's BMW BS (MOA) marketing postings on the interwebs.

Several decades ago I met some of my best friends of today, at BMW rallies. Airheads. I still help them get their Airhead fleets out onto the roads every year to keep the bikes running.

BMW NA has ZERO interest in keeping ANY of their heritage bikes alive. Fine, then they sell $25K shiny things that are unfixable. Fine. Don't expect the masses to sit up and beg for more of that manure.

Quality machinery that  a factory stands behind, you bet!! Won't stand behind their own TSB?! Scheisse!!!

Yes,  you've covered this multiple times in this thread. Good to have it out in the open though that you'd be "grateful" for an omission of any further reviews on any BMW.   

Not interested in debate, just happy that my experiences with late model BMW's has been the exact polar opposite of yours. Moving on....   

I believe there is some exemplary examples of online censorship per BMW motorcycles already, at any BMW MOA forums online; anyone sharing their truth in experience is hastily banned.

Bob's BMW statements per the end of the Corporation are no surprise, as BMW recently (2010 IIRC) announced they will not be going to produce ANY airhead parts for bikes built in the 20th century. Also, an interesting note that late models are good for about 10 years, in HIS professional opinion. 

The Corporation is producing a brand only, which in many cases is unsafe and a fraud. There are some incredible witness statements here that corroborate THAT as well, from INSIDE of dealership personnel doing Tech work and warranty paperwork!! Holy cow, run away! 

As a community of humans first, riders second, why would we want to subject each other to more white washing and self-imposed censorship? The Corporation itself mostly just listens to Lawyers, not riders.

Airhead BMWs rock! Nothing like them or the people that own them! ( These comments were not made with cynicism, pessimism, hate, or any sort of a negative human emotion related to outting the Corporate structures that are dangerous to your riding career and/or health. This message approved by the National Rational Association of Riding Humans, YMMV. )  :beerchug:     

Jacquelyn said:
...Not interested in debate, just happy that my experiences with late model BMW's has been the exact polar opposite of yours. Moving on.... 

I may not agree with you :) , but I do appreciate your opinion.  ;)  So do your review, please.

BTW, are you "Jacquelyn", or "Tracy" (Donohue) per your profile?  I'm just not sure who I'm replying to.

Chris