• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Thank God for good breaks and tires with tread - missed a fatal accident today!!

BOOTH

Scooter
As I was on my way to a client's this morning, I came upon this incident blocking the left two lanes on 880:

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_19978017

I hauled it down fast and got stopped about 12-15' behind the Mercedes. I was the second vehicle on the scene. The man from the first vehicle on the scene was getting out of his car with a cell phone, so I pulled over as far to the left as I could and left the bike running so there would be lights on, parked the bike and removed my helmet. After checking with the guy from the first vehicle on the scene to make sure he was calling 911, I checked on the couple in the Mercedes. They were physically fine but seriously shaken, the driver of the Honda was pretty broken up, but was awake and responsive. He was speaking his native language until I told him that help was on the way, then he switched to English and told me his wife was on the other side of the car and was bleeding.

I walked around the car to find her completely pinned under the Honda and knew it was too late. (Have I mentioned that it is pitch dark and there is very little light from any of the vehicles since all the front ends are out.) I looked around for the Volvo driver and not finding him, assumed he was under the Honda as well.

I went back to the bike for my first aid kit hoping to God I could remember enough of my First Aid Merit Badge to make a difference. Before I got back to the bike, the Ambulance and first responders pulled up. I quickly briefed the ambulance driver on everyone's location and got the heck out of the way.

A FR asked me if I was okay, and when he realized that I was not involved in the accident, he blocked traffic so I could get out without getting hit by someone else.

As I've processed it, I have a few personal take-aways in no particular order:

• Things happen quick - ATGATT
  • I'm really glad I maintain the bike well - good tires and breaks kept me from being part of that mess
  • Out of the car on the other side of the direction of traffic is not the place to be after an incident - the Volvo guy was smart, he got off the road and is still alive because of it. Note to self if I'm ever in a similar situation.
  • I'm woefully unprepared to be the first one on the scene - had this been in a remote area with the driver's life in my hands, I don't feel confident I would have been much help. Seriously considering taking a First Responder course. The next time it might be my buddy there.
  • I'm putting a headlamp in the First Aid kit - in the dark it would have been difficult to see what to do even if I had been better trained and confident.
  • I have an Aerostich Touring First Aid Kit, but I've never bothered to learn where everything is in it. I would have spent too much time looking for what I needed - time for me to spend some quality time there and probably beef it up
  • I'm grateful that it isn't my family that is getting a call today and that I'm not in the situation of the couple in the Mercedes
  • I'm reminded that all it takes is one little slip of attention, one little nod of the head, one look at a distraction, no matter what I'm driving for this to happen

My thoughts and prayers go out to the people and families involved. I'm sure that the lady in the Honda didn't plan on checking out this morning. I wonder how much of her music died with her.  :'( I hope very little.

As for me - I think I'm going to suit up and go for a ride to clear my head. Thanks for letting me "process" this here.

Glad you are ok, very sad for others.  Amazing what a few seconds can mean with respect to... I could have been here at that moment... 

smithr-scad said:
Glad you are ok, very sad for others.  Amazing what a few seconds can mean with respect to... I could have been here at that moment...

Thanks Bob. I've walked through it in my head a few times today and I'd say that a minute or two earlier and I'd been between the Mercedes and the Honda. My heart goes out to all involved...

I feel for everyone involved. One of my worst driving nightmares would be thinking my actions took someones else's life like the Mercedes diver has to.

Our prayers for the families on both sides of that coin.  Also you will be in our prayers.  Having been in similar situations a half dozen times, I know the feeling of helplessness when upon someone for whom you cannot do anything or at least nothing that will change the outcome.  I also know the trauma of that scenario... the second guessing, the what ifs, and that sense of having been instantly wrenched into a reality you wouldn't and couldn't have chosen for yourself.  I'm sorry that this happened and empathize with your need to somehow process it.  It is a life altering experience to witness up close and personally this tragic side of mortality and gives one a greater appreciation for many things.  Not the least of which is those persons whose calling is to intimately face it daily.

I pray for your rest, peace, and well-being as well as that of the persons and families involved.  Take good care my friend and thank you for what you did for those desperate ones you met today.

Well said, Rev. Thank you for articulating those thoughts. Hang in there, brother.

But for the grace of God, there goes I.  Unfortunately I too have been one of the first on scences like this.  Your self preparedness analysis gives us all pause to get our own act together.  I am cpr / first aid / aed certified and even remembering everything under stress is a challenge by itself.  You did well and if needed you and everyone reading your thread also will be that much better prepared

rcannon, Rev, Ron, & Linby,

Thanks for the kind words, thoughts and prayers. Looking into what first aid/first responded training is available in the near future around here and beefing up the first aid kit.

Here is video of the crash an hour or so after I left the scene. It's daylight now and as you can see, the couple in the Mercedes is still in the car. I hope they are getting the professional help they are going to need after this. I got stopped behind the Mercedes about where the LEO gets completely turned around.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Fatal-Crash-in-San-Jose-139437823.html

I'm also adding some more immediate visibility to the bike in the way of modulators and rear light kits. I'm open to recommendations and will post the final installs here. I've already added the rear saddlebag reflectors and Philips H4 100% bulbs. I have a new Givi 55 top case and am looking at options for more lighting (standard break-light kit vs. led ad-ons. (In keeping with the tread topic, really only interested in the recommendations that are related to being seen/safer.) Thanks again for the support.

backoutonthehighway said:
As I've processed it, I have a few personal take-aways in no particular order:

• I'm woefully unprepared to be the first one on the scene - had this been in a remote area with the driver's life in my hands, I don't feel confident I would have been much help. Seriously considering taking a First Responder course. The next time it might be my buddy there.

Here is a great resource...

http://www.accidentscene.org/index.html

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is a needed reminder to all of us to be prepared, refresh/get first aid training, DON"T TAILGATE, and ride defensively. I'm sorry you had to experience this (I've been fortunate so far - knock on wood), but hope we can all learn from your thoughts.

Calla and I were riding 2-up through the Smokies back in '04 and, on our way back from Clingman's Dome (where my avatar pic was taken) we passed a very bad motorcycle crash off the side of the road that had obviously happened just moments before.

I took a look at that situation and kept right on going.  There were already several people who had stopped to help.  I have had a few first aid classes, but no significant medical training and I figure that my adding to the crowd wasn't going to help anything. 

The sad part is that, though this didn't occur to me at the time, Calla is a trained PICU nurse with 20 years of experience.  She didn't signal to me because she thought I was going to stop.  I really kicked myself when I realized what had happened, but by the time I realized the opportunity I had missed, we were well down the mountain and had already seen the EMT van on its way back up.

I was paying too much attention to controlling my own bike to have the proper situational awareness.  I wasn't technically WRONG, but I sure could have made a better choice there.  I hope that guy made it.  I think about him when I'm listing my regrets in this life.

Thanks Steve - I'll look into what it will take to get them out there for a training if there is enough interest in the local community.

Chip - tough stuff. I feel for you on that. It's really difficult to make those decisions either way. If someone else had added to that accident after I got stopped I'd be regretting my decision.

There is just no "right" answer for these situations. I think for me its about being present in the moment, being prepared/trained, and situational awareness. At least if I have those I have the best chance of making a decision that will result in a good outcome.

Safe travels!

backoutonthehighway said:
I'm also adding some more immediate visibility to the bike in the way of modulators and rear light kits. I'm open to recommendations and will post the final installs here. I've already added the rear saddlebag reflectors and Philips H4 100% bulbs. I have a new Givi 55 top case and am looking at options for more lighting (standard break-light kit vs. led ad-ons. (In keeping with the tread topic, really only interested in the recommendations that are related to being seen/safer.) Thanks again for the support.

Don't forget about your hazard flashers.  If you find yourself coming up on stalled traffic, turn them on for extra conspicuity.  That's especially important if it's a blind hill or curve, because you'll give those behind you that much more warning of bad stuff ahead. 

I too carry a First-Aid kit along with an Israeli bandage and CAT touniquet  and you are definatley correct  with your take-way comments. After reading your commnets, I  will be refamilimg myself with my kits, and look into a refresher First Responder training.

Glad you are OK and was avaiable to help the injured until the FR's arrived. :sign0098: