• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Thank you Kawasaki for ABS and Traction Control.

necron99

Crotch Rocket
So on my way home last night, turning into my division, I got a REALLY rude surprise.  It seems that the city decided to sand the entire intersection because of a little water/ice in the morning.  WOW that was a wild turn, but I kept her upright.  Scared the BUJEEZUS out of me, tho. 

I like these stories much better than the how I crashed threads. The ABS & TC just paid for itself!  ;)

The OP reminds me that I purchased the C14 largely for its safety features. All of the press is about power and speed. This bike has powerful radial brakes, ABS when needed, traction control, tire pressure monitoring, positive neutral finder...  all good stuff.

Can speed and power be a safety feature too? I think so  8)

Necron/Bob I know you jest but you are so spot on too.  My son has IBS or Crohns to be exact and I would not wish that on anyone.

When I got the traction control, I sort of figured it would be something I'd never use, even after trying it out on the skid pad at the press release. I just didn't think there would be very many times I would ever need it.

Boy was I wrong. I'm amazed how many times I've engaged it. I rode up a very steep gravel embankment from a river landing in Arkansas that I it was engaged for the entire length of. There is no way I could have even attempted it without traction control. Most of the time, you don't need it, but when you do, it'll save your hiney.

ABS goes without saying. I won't ever buy another motorcycle (or car) that doesn't have it. It's a standard requirement in my book.

Bob... that was said tongue in cheek, but absolutely not in jest.  I know people with IBS, and I'm glad I don't have it.

I agree...having owned ABS and non-ABS bikes, I swear by ABS to all my riding friends who don't own ABS equipped bikes, especially when riding on wet roads. It was due to my need to commute year round again by motorcycle that I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a C14. Hard to argue with the safety features.

And yes...power is a safety feature.  ;)

Power as a safety feature...  Let me quote the philosopher Elwood Blues.  "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

I have owned 14 bikes over the years and number 14 is oddly enough my new c14 with ABS and TRC.  My first experience with ABS was with my previous Gold Wing.  I cannot say enough about ABS.  It save my rear at least once and is really nice if your travelling gravel or wet roads.  As for Traction control, the new C14 is my first experience with that and I already love it.  Just the other day I was riding a section of highway and I needed to pull off into a side area that was full of loose gravel.  I pulled into the area at about 45mph and just to test the ABS hammered on the brakes and she came to a nice smooth stop.  Coming out of that area back onto the highway is where the TRC really shined.  The oncoming cars were coming relatively fast, so you could not just get back onto the highway at a slow speed for risk of getting rear ended.  Without TRC you would have to feather the throttle and would probably be spinning and spitting gravel all the way out.  But with the TRC I just opened up the throttle and went for it .  No spitting of gravel, no fishtailing, and right onto the highway with no drama at all.  One note however, once I cleared the gravel and was on hard pavement, I had to let off the throttle very briefly to disengage the TRC.   
The extra $700 dollars for the ABS/TRC model is worth every penny in my opinion.

I totally agree.  It's simple math.  I have a 1000 deductible, and it's saved me from going down once.  DONE!