• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

The Clock

scjaws

Bicycle
I just installed a new Shorai battery. The clock reset to 1:00 as it supposed to do. But when I try to reset it I can not get it to work. The hours and minutes will flash, but even holding the lower button for over a minute will not get it to hours.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Belay my last.
I went back and tried it 3 or 4 more times and it finally worked.[/size][/size]

From the service manual:

•Select the CLOCK [A] is indication. •Push the upper button for more than two seconds.
○The clock setting menu (hour and minute) should flash.
•Push the lower button.
○The hour display [A] starts flashing. •By pushing the upper button each time, check that the
hour display changes.
•By pushing the lower button, check that the hour display
is decided and minute display [A] starts flashing. •By pushing the upper button each time, check that the
minute display changes.

•Push the lower button.
○The hour display [A] starts flashing. •By pushing the upper button each time, check that the
hour display changes.

My 2010 manual says:
Push the lower button. When only the hour display flashes, push the upper button to advance the hours.

When I push the lower button, it never goes to just the hour flashing. Both hours and minutes continue to flash and pressing the upper button does nothing.

I feel your pain. The clock programming on this bike was designed by a sadist. It is extremely non-intuitive, and I've only been successful by trial and error, and the manual is little help. Keep trying, using a different sequence every time. Remember what didn't work and try something different the next time. That's the only way I can make it work.

Whoever programmed the clock and meter panel needs to be brought before an angry mob of C14 owners and made to answer.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
I feel your pain. The clock programming on this bike was designed by a sadist. It is extremely non-intuitive, and I've only been successful by trial and error, and the manual is little help. Keep trying, using a different sequence every time. Remember what didn't work and try something different the next time. That's the only way I can make it work.

Whoever programmed the clock and meter panel needs to be brought before an angry mob of C14 owners and made to answer.

Actually the display design itself is terrible. I like the one you (Fred) did hypothetically a while back that had much more user info on it. And the warning is the worst idea I can think of for a dash display. What moron decided that taking over the whole display with a warning is a good idea?  :mad:

Yeah...  I'm low on fuel, why would I need to see the tire pressure?  LOL  Stupid that it takes the whole display.

I don't know how I managed with only a Tach and Spedo For all those years. I also loved chain and sprocket cleaning and Oiling. And Almost having brakes. And tires so hard they never wore out. And lights that only worked in the day time.But most of all Kick starting my 500cc BSA.  The only clock was if its light it's daytime and if it's dark it's nite! I never figured out how to change that either.

Maybe I got lucky but when I set mine it worked like the book said the first time.
You can cancel the warning and go back to the regular screen by pressing both buttons at the same time

The best part is trying to press both buttons while riding.  That's awesome.  More manufacturers should do things to bikes to encourage people to do stupid things while riding.  Maybe when you're on low fuel you should lose your speedo and tach to encourage you to slow down?  LOL

I wish there was something on the handlebars to advance the displays. It's a bit of a reach to the buttons while riding.

joe in calif said:
Maybe I got lucky but when I set mine it worked like the book said the first time.
You can cancel the warning and go back to the regular screen by pressing both buttons at the same time

That's my point. You shouldn't have to. The design is dangerous IMO. They will tell you to pull over to reset the warning, but that's less likely than someone either continuing to ride (without any usable display) or trying to reset it while riding. And having it do it for every warning is worse.
I cannot think of one good reason why it was nessasary to take over the whole display like it does. And if you have to do it that way, then as already suggested, make the rest easier to use (and while riding). You shouldn't have to pull over to shut off the low fuel warning that takes over the display and allows nothing else. The whole thing is just a terrible design!
In contrast, the FJR display for low fuel will bring on a low fuel icon flashing. It gets your attention just fine while leaving the rest of the display intact. The only change it makes is it will turn the odometer to a counter that counts how far you have traveled since the low fuel warning came on. So you can still see all the displays, including fuel level. Plus it now tells you how far it has been since it came on. The system is hands down much better than the C14's. 
I wish Kawasaki would make changes tho the C14's display to make it more rider friendly! Because I do feel in it's present design, it's rider unfriendly and possible dangerous to the rider to boot!

Weg3111 said:
I wish there was something on the handlebars to advance the displays. It's a bit of a reach to the buttons while riding.

2010 and beyond.  Sorry, man.  But Kawasaki DID hear THAT at least.  But holding that switch in for 3 or 4 seconds should cancel the warning or put it off to the side or something.