• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

The education of the rider

The education of the rider

• By the seat of your pants?

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • A recognized training program?

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters
BRC or an official training program is the only way to go (IMHO). Their bikes, certified instructors who can handle numerous situations. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250

I'll agree that a professional training course is the best way to go but. When I started riding in the late 70's they were few and far between if they existed. So I took my brand new Yamaha XS-250 (with a full face helmet) out to a local canyon road and drove up and down for the next few hours. I learned and I am still learning. Every day there is something new to learn. I have taken the ERC riding test. (There was a little coaching but no "teaching"). Yuma, Summer in Yuma is not hell, but hell is a local call :) 2006 Connie http://community.webshots.com/user/Lateck?vhost=community

I have taken the ERC... (There was a little coaching but no "teaching").
Isn't this exactly how it should be for experienced riders? Coach and correct bad habits, refine and practice basic riding skills. Been riding bikes since I hit the dirt in the mid 70's. It was not until 10 years ago that I participated in a rider education course. Wish I took one earlier. I learned some basic techniques that improved my riding immensely. -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT) If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

The best thing about my BRC was that it was a blast. I had a lot of fun at the BRC and I learned a few very important things. Even if you're self taught, you should take the class. You'll learn something guaranteed and you'll have a lot of fun putting around on 250's on a parking lot driving range. Plus you get a nifty patch, that alone's worth 120 bucks isn't it? :) Well, the insurance reduction is anyway. I didn't start riding street bikes until last year and I'm glad I've waited this long to do it. I've put 12,000 miles on my Connie since I got her, which was three days after I got my license, which was 2 days after I got my BRC certificate. I don't see myself slowing down anytime soon. I love it and you guys are part of that select group that know exactly what I mean when I say that. The course gave me the basics I needed to operate the motorcycle but what it can't give you, I already had. 20+ years of experience on the roads. That experience is more important than understanding the physics and controls of the motorcycle. It's knowing the many crazy and stupid things that people will do. Then you have to filter that through the no-win lens of an impact on a motorcycle. The motorcycle gives you great tools for avoiding an accident, it's quick and agile, you have a clear view of what's around you, you're seated higher than cars, equal with trucks and you can stop on a dime. The key is avoiding the impact, because when you lose control and collide with another vehicle you're going to get hurt. Less perhaps when you're wearing the proper gear, but you are going to get hurt barring miraculous luck. So you have to go that extra mile to avoid the collision, you have to keep aware at all times of what's going on around you, what's coming down the road and what other vehicles JUST MIGHT do. You've got to dodge the blind spots, watch the road surface and avoid the dirty air (well you don't have to, but it's as good a justification as any for zipping around a line of cars and a big truck). The BRC will teach you a system for keeping aware of your surroundings, among other things. Not important to those who've already learned through personal experience maybe, but there are tips and tricks still to be had. I've grown comfortable with my beloved Concours, I no longer have to think through the steps of what I'm doing. I can swerve and hard brake through reflex and that was only achieved by riding her. No class can give you that reflex but they can teach you the proper form that you should always employ so that your reflex is correct. That's where coaching comes in, helping you to refine your form by seeing and recognizing what you cannot due to your perspective, then showing it to you and correcting it. Experience with any vehicle though, can only be obtained by you accumulating the miles. Dang it. So for your own safety, I implore each and every one of you, ride as much as possible.

I agree with everyone, take the class if it is there. I was slow building edu through a few B&S scooters and a few dirt bikes up to about 125cc all in the 70s. I still remember that first high speed corner on a bike over 600cc. That is something the classes does not teach you because it is all <25mph. Scary when I did not lean hard enough and the guard rail is getting closer and closer. ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Seat of the pants for me, as there were no 'rider training courses in the 70's, at least not where I grew up. But, having said that, and having taken both the BRC, ERC and Stayin'Safe mini course, I heartily recommend to everyone that asks me about riding that they get training, period. Plus, it certainly helps to have a refresher course from time to time, and just continues to bolster confidence and ability! :) Steve K. '02 Concours COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'

I started out "seat of the pants" at 12 with a bicycle and a 7 and a half mile paper route, graduated to a Cushman motor scooter at 14, then a Lambretta at 15, then a series of small, weird motos, like Zundapps, small Ducatis, and Ariel 500's. While in the Marines I bought a 67 Honda 305 Scrambler brand new, rode it all over California, on dirt and on the roads. After a bad collision, sold it in 1971, but bought a 94 Honda Magna about 5 years ago. The first time around I don't think they had courses or "M" license endorsements, at least I don't remember having any. But when I bought the Magna, I took the Harley riders edge course, which was a good thing and also helped on insurance rates. PS - living through an accident teaches you to "own" your misteaks!

Started out 'seat of the pant' on a bicycle at age 8. Numerous bikes later and at age 15, I got the taste of Vespa and Bella scooters, that did it, I was hooked. At age 16 I had a short term with a BSA 650, that is until dad found out what I had hid in the back of the garage. Then there was a long dry spell, it was 69 before I owned again and it was another BSA 650 that I rebuilt from a basket case. Next was a 71 CB750 which I put a good number of miles on. That was followed by more 750's and other dirt bikes, then a CB900 Custom. Then I woke up and found the connie about 12 years ago. Had one around since and doubt ever being without one. Course I have other bikes around, but they change every now and then. As for instruction, yes I have had the ERC and still read articles on mc riding skills. Oh, I forgot, I had a short spell in which I did trials in those early days. Still enjoy a trials bike, it is a completely different activity that will improve your riding skills. If you have an opportunity to try it, definitely do. tcars John

I learned to ride a motorcycle where it was supposed to be learned, in the dirt! Nothing teaches you how to ride better than a few spills in a sand pit. And for the record, I use to wear a helmet back then ;p but not one of those sissy full face things :eg: Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649 Merchandise Czar

My future hubby taught me to ride. :) I don't think they had BRC's at that time. If they did, we were not aware of them. That said; when we learned that MSF courses were available we signed up for the ERC and loved it! I recommend the BRC to everyone that expresses interest in riding or is new to riding. What a great resource!

Seat of the pants for me when I was in college. It wasn't back in the stone age, but close..LOL! A friend talked me into buying a used CB360 and I rode it home, never using a clutch on a bike before. Young and dumb for sure, as I rode on a 4-lane major street. I've already inquired to our local ERC class last year but just missed it. My wife just got a scooter and is scheduled for the BRC later this month. She passed her written exam yesterday. Now this week I'm teaching my 10 yr old on his XR70 around the yard. He is ATTGATT prepared. We practiced engine-off braking last night with me pushing (wheeze...puff..puff). We'll do some stop-n-go drills tonight. ..dz.. 2003 Concours 1983 Honda Silverwing 2008 Yamaha Majesty (new) 2003 Honda XR70 (son's)

Well - I was a slow learner! I used to write down every time I crashed on the street (racing and dirt riding didn't count) and every time I got pulled over....By age 27, I had over 25 street crashes and double the count for stops.....Although I quit writing it down, there have been a few since then......Slow learner!!!

Dang Robert, I always figured I would re evaluate riding as part of my life after any real crash. That thought was when I was 16. I am 50 now. I am not wanting to ask that question or have my first crash. I hope I never have to either. Try not to picture this :) 350# guy on an older Goldwing. He only has shorts and tennis shoes on. He is easily the worst driver I have ever seen. He almost had me stopping him to suggest getting some more skills before riding naked. He actually crossed the center line on a sr8 hunk of road almost causing a head on with a car. Cornering looked like it took all he had to do a 50mph corner at 30. ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

<b> Try not to picture this 350# guy on an older Goldwing. He only has shorts and tennis shoes on. He is easily the worst driver I have ever seen. He almost had me stopping him to suggest getting some more skills before riding naked. He actually crossed the center line on a sr8 hunk of road almost causing a head on with a car. Cornering looked like it took all he had to do a 50mph corner at 30. </b> Yeah it can be scary for sure! But given the chance I have no issues talking to people of this "caliber" and recommending rider education to them beore they have an incident. AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

I picked up my first bike, a used Honda 90, in 1969. The owner gave me 3 minutes of training and off I went in city traffic. I finally took the MSF Advanced in 2005 and I found I still had a lot to learn. Class was both useful & fun. Now I'm 59 and getting a kick out of my C14.