• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Thinking about a BMW....

jmoretz

Bicycle
I have had a 2000 C-10 for 3 yrs almost 70K. Have been thinking about getting a BMW. Always wanted one as my cousin rode to Alaska several times from the east coast on a boxer with loads of miles. Always very impressive to me. Trying to decide on GT or RT. Seems to be alot of GTs available in my area? Athough I am leaning toward a RT, seems many feel its the better touring bike. GT seems to be the rocket , powerful engine although one article said slow to accelerate but tops out at 170+mph. I actually found a GT with 8K on it. Thinking about going to look at it.

Be curious to hear what other Connie/BMW  riders think?

Thanks,
John

I have a C14 and recently bought a 04 R1150RT for 2up riding.  While the BMW is a nice bike and serves the purpose, the C14 is by far the better bike (except for 2up unless she's young and/or smallish).  I probably wouldn't do it again.  Instead, I'd go with a ST1300 or a Wing for 2up.  Don't think much will beat the C14 for 1up touring.  Just my personal 2 yen.  YMMV :13:

John:

I've had an 88 C-10 and a K1200 LTC for the past 6 plus years.  The LT was bought for two up rides and for that it does quite well.  It is comfortable, handles well, rides smooth, and has a bit of sport in her.  The drawbacks: rear drive, seems they have yet to develop a rear drive that will hold up.  They say the failure rate is only 6%, but realistically it is more than 15%.  Now that is not a lot, but with the limited dealerships, you can end up taking a lot longer to get back home.  Now most of the limited number of dealers will go well beyond normal limits to take care of an owner, but it often takes more time and money than one would expect.

End result for me, I'm selling my LT, keeping my C-10.  That is mostly due to the fact that the wife rarely rides with me anymore and I also went off in another direction.  Will I miss the gal, yes, but the connie will do all I need and then some.  I've ridden both the RT and GT, both are impressive in their own rights.  But if I had to choose between a C-14 and either of those two beemers, I'd choose the C-14.  More dependable, smoother throttle response, and just more bang for the buck.  Course that is just my .02 cents worth, which is worth less than .02 cents.    :)

tcars
John

I wonder about this too. I currently ride an 06 C-10 and question whether a BMW or C-14 will be next. The Kawasaki is more bang for the buck hands down. The thing about the RT 1200 I really like is the reduced weight compared to a C-14. I'm about 155 lbs and the C-14 is a bigger heavier bike than my C-10. The BMW's are pricey but the overall features and lower weights make them appealing to me. I rode a GT 1200 and it was very nice. The tranny clunked like my C-10 though. I understand the GT 1300 trannys are better. Good luck, Mark

Sparkie said:
I wonder about this too. I currently ride an 06 C-10 and question whether a BMW or C-14 will be next. The Kawasaki is more bang for the buck hands down. The thing about the RT 1200 I really like is the reduced weight compared to a C-14. I'm about 155 lbs and the C-14 is a bigger heavier bike than my C-10.

Had to chime in here...  I weigh out at 145 and have no problem with the C14. 

I hate to admit it but I, too, am considering upgrading to the current century. My choices for research are: C-14, R1200RT, ST1300, ST3.
The C-14 gets rave reviews but may be beyond my budget at this juncture. I've also read that it, like the C-10, is a beast at low speed and a pressure cooker in the summer.
The R1200RT has the BMW support team, torque, low center of gravity, longevity, ease of maintenance (although more of it than the C-14) and I have another BMW in the garage - a 72 R75/5 being converted to a cafe bike.
The ST3 is fast, sexy, lightweight, simple (except the valvetrain). However, it is chain driven and has limited support. Did I mention its sexy?
Finally, the ST1300 seems like it could be the overall winner. Its heavy but feels light. Fast, great brakes, smooth and much less heat. I got to ride one last week and was very impressed with low speed maneuverability, acceleration and braking.
I have not ridden ANY of the others yet but will be seeking saddle time in the near future.
Please don't tell the Road Raven. I don't want her to think I don't don't love her anymore coz I do.

Friend of mine has a late model R 1200 RT and they are a fine motorsickle but the dealer network is a little weak and it has left him stranded twice because of minor sensor glitches. I rode an ST 1300 at the local dealer a week of two back and was really impressed with it. If I were going to get a new bike it would probably be the Honda cause the new C-14 just doesn't come anywhere close to fitting me but I'm sure it's a great bike. However after a few days past and I'm grounded in reality again, my ole C-10 really suits me fine, it's paid for, it's reliable and I can fix it if it does break and it's just a good bike and I could replace it for $3 to $4k and you just can't hardly argue with that. For those of us who ride on a budget a C-10 is hard to beat.

Yeah, after giving the Raven a much needed bath, she's all shiney and happy and I think she'll be in my stable for a while yet. But if and when, the ST1300 seems like the logical replacement.
I've never ridden a C-14 but I did sit on one last week. It did feel lighter and smaller than I thought it did. Need to take a ride on one to check out the low-speed handling and heat. Of course, being a rider on a budget, they are still out of my price range.

I realize this is an older thread but as a current BMW owner I thought I would add my 2 cents.  I’ve been a BMW owner for years and I currently have a low mileage BMW R1150RS.  My RS has been a good bike overall but as I get older the sporty riding position is not comfortable for me.  BMW is known for problems with final drive failures, tranny input and drive shaft failures.  I thought about replacing the RS with a new generation R1200RT but the final drive failures seem to have continued with the latest generation bikes.  The final straw was when my RS left me and the wife stranded on California Hwy 88 last weekend when a fuel line disconnect broke.  I've decided to cross BMWs off my list.

The wife and I stopped at a few bike dealers this week to see what might replace the BMW.  I was most impressed with the Concours.  I’m doing research now but will likely be a Concours owner within the next month.

cb4017 said:
I've heard this too. BMW (like most) won't admit to it and seems to been a problem for years. Can't understand their strategy. I think they could be a player instead of a niche.

I've owned a 1200GS and a 1200LT, and now a C14.  All late models.  Hands down, C14.  I know I've never ridden the RT but lack of dealer network is a deal breaker for me.  I live 90 miles from my closest dealer and Beemers seem to require a bit more maintenance than most.  I owned and enjoyed, but I would never go back to BMW.  YMMV

haileymon said:
Yeah, after giving the Raven a much needed bath, she's all shiney and happy and I think she'll be in my stable for a while yet. But if and when, the ST1300 seems like the logical replacement.
I've never ridden a C-14 but I did sit on one last week. It did feel lighter and smaller than I thought it did. Need to take a ride on one to check out the low-speed handling and heat. Of course, being a rider on a budget, they are still out of my price range.

i keep hearing people complain about the low speed stuff. if you spend a few hours in an empty parking lot practing your figure 8s  the bike REALY lightens up. My c14 feels small to me now, and i'm only 5'11, 210lbs. i have murphs lowered pegs, and the feelers are worn flat about half through, all done at speeds lower than 10-15mph, and its lost of fun pullin u-turns in two parking spaces.

I rode my 1975 R90S from Miami to Seattle in 1976.  Sold it when I got there.  The top end sounded like a can full of 3/4" lock washers and a 36c bra in a 1968 Kenmore clothes drier.  My old Pal Reggie Pridmore got some of them going pretty fast but he's all Honda now, isn't he?

Read my 2007 R1200RT tale and you might go out and apologize to the Kawalski for the way you've been behaving.

I had a 2004 K1200GT for only 10,000 miles before trading it in for 2007 R1200RT.  The GT had what's referred to as the "pancake" motor, same as the RS and the K1200LT bagger.  Some pros and cons:

Pros
1. fast, smooth, great torque throughout, good heat protection, average thirst but will drain the bar when playful, moderate range, a solid gust exempt bullet train driver's license shredding machine.  My favorite BMW engine ever and would have gone on to own the K1200LT but for the 1st Con
1. Heavy.  This motorcycle doesn't get along well with most owners at or below 6 mph.  In the aircraft industry we spoke of retractable gear pilots as those who have (landed wheels up) and those who will.  Find an LT owner who hasn't dropped the thing at least twice and you've found a very low mile LT or a liar.  Same is nearly true of the GT.
2. Very little aftermarket or Factory offerings.  If this GT don't fit then it probably won't ever fit.  The RS can be turned into many things... even a GT.
3. The factory windshield has a $100 fix, it's likely the most significant part of my relationship with the bike and that's the Laminar Lip.  God has one on his GT.
4.  It takes something like a C14 to burn interstates with this thing... it wants to go somewhere far away and get there soon.

The R1200RT is a true COP BIKE and should be owned by COPS and other people who don't pay their own bills.  It's a wonderful thing.  Put a ring on it's finger and when the maintenance tally equals what you paid for the bike, file for divorce.

domo said:
The R1200RT is a true COP BIKE and should be owned by COPS and other people who don't pay their own bills.  It's a wonderful thing.  Put a ring on it's finger and when the maintenance tally equals what you paid for the bike, file for divorce.

So true.  BMW stands for Bring More Wampum.  The maintenance costs on my wife's R1150R are outrageous.  We are probably going to sell it and buy a Ninja 650R and outfit it for touring.

Don't get this wrong!  Not this thing about women.  You can't give them the good stuff then take it away thinking it will save you money.  That's the shortest route to sleeping outside... pull her off an RT to put her on a NINJA?  NIN  CUM  POOP.

Is the C14 a better bike than the R1200RT?  Not no, but HELL NO.  You have to know what you're missing before you can really miss it.

I didn't get off my RT and get on a C14 because the Kawalski is a better bike!  It's because I'm pissed at BMW and I hope a lot of other people do the same.  Then BMW might start treating it's customers better and I for one could see my way clear to get a new RT... which after 2000 miles of C14, I'm really beginning to miss.  I'm not real sure how long raw power and suckass gas mileage will amuse me, for my refined nature is sure to resurface and I'll go save myself... at whatever cost.

So Domo I don't pay my own bills huh?  That is one serious stick in the eye to any police officer on this forum.  I spent twenty years of my life doing a job most people don't want to do.  Got shot at, received more air mail off buildings than I care to remember, missed numerous family occasions, lost friends and co-workers, and now I don't "pay my bills"?!?

So I guess my time in the Marines was pretty much being on the dole, eh?  Way to make friends there bro......

domo said:

Uncalled for and extremely rude.

Terry- thank you and all your fellow officers, firefighters and service people for all you have done for us. I would hope the poster is in the minority with his thoughts.

Give yourselves a break and me too by reading what I wrote.  It's great flying for the military because you can fly the best and not have to pay for repairs... you pull up to the supertanker, say fill it up and the bill never comes.  The reason the BMW is a great "COP BIKE" is that a whole bunch of people, namely taxpayers cover the tab incurred to keep them on the street... are you telling me, Officer that you pay to have the Wolfsburg fixed when it goes on the blink?  I'm not talking about the bike in your garage... unless it's stolen... it's not stolen is it?  There are enough wars without starting one where there is none.

I don't believe domo was trying to belittle police officers.  He was saying that if the dept. is paying for the bike then the cost doesn't sting.

JohnnyLunchBox said:
I don't believe domo was trying to belittle police officers.  He was saying that if the dept. is paying for the bike then the cost doesn't sting.

Although it could have been worded better. This is the way I took it also. I think it's really just the wording that made it sound that way. I'm sure no disrespect was meant.

Thank you, Masked Man!  Now I can come out from under the bed and see the photo of my O2 with the third member half gone and the thirty or forty feet of 1/2" copper "snare wire" jammed in the fuselage cutter... they said they wouldn't fly like that on the front engine only.  It was worth it though because of all the cards and letters I got during the nine months I was learning to walk again... just kidding, they're not here yet, but that's not why I was in it in the first place.

Your's truely,

Not Rip van Winkle

Donut think for a minute I donut appreciate the added security I'm enjoying here in the deep south!

It's all just funnin'.  Dad used to tell me if the kids at school didn't love me so much that they wouldn't be kickin' the bejesus out of me so much.

Heck, show me a Crown Vic with nerfbars and a spotlight and I'll slow down every time... even when I'm nearly sure it's Bruce's Taxi... that's respect ain't it?

Be my Valentine I.

Just goes to show how you read it means everything...sorry for the misunderstanding there Domo.  This time of year always gets me a bit run up.  Lost some friends when the towers came down. 

Continue your discussion and I'll keep my mistaken readings to meself...I promise! :sorry:

No harm no foul, Dad.  Touchy is just about all of us these days.  Got a call a couple saturdays back at 4 a.m. said S.E.A.L. Team 6 was in a real shit storm.  I't my nephew's command and it wasn't till 6 p.m. that we found out he was alive... and still no time for celebration.  What that does to a family...

Unrelated, 8 a.m.  that sunday brought news of a dead brother in law.

My neice (married to the "SEAL") works with the Foundation (great cause/needs all help) had been to six or seven funerals when she packed up the two little ones to run from Irene.  She's in Ohio at my brother's house having a cocktail before she heads back to her freshly flooded/was newly remodeled home in Virginia Beach.

We're all in line for a whipping... it's coming.  Tomorrow morning when I wake up, look down and there's no toe tag I'll rejoice like the winner of another day that I hope to be today.