• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

thoughts on which Connie to get?

hammerash

just joined (posted in introductions) and about ready to get a used one. Both are too far away to really go see, but I have spoken with both owners and am pretty confident that both are in great shape. Both older guys. I have lot of pictures of both and no significant damage seen. never down. bikes are 2015 green. So here they are:

1. 7500 miles, not much added, just tank skins, RG front crash bars and RG front axle sliders. 2nd owner, 1st didn't have long wants $9400

2. 30,000 miles, loaded! all the usual goodies read about on this forum. single owner
Cee Bailey screen (not sure height)
Kaw Touring seat
Terry's custom seat (I am about same height/weight)
phil's rack
Givi E55 with color matched lid, Givi backrest, Givi rack (mounts on top of case), Givi brake light kit (minus quick release since Phil' rack)
Canyon Cages F&R
dual helmet locks
radiator guard
extended front fender
bar risers
pathfinder LED headlight
saddlebag and topcase liners
battery tender lead

asking $10,500

my wife kinda thinks crazy and just get the 1st one. But the extras on number 2 are nice. And can't get canyon cages anymore. I think I would like those best for several reason. they offer place to put highway pegs. RG not really great position for that. T Rex can add pegs, but I have concerns about those. I have ZX-9R and some track experience so worried about dragging the front TRex. I see a new video just posted here of a track day and he dragged a peg. pegs fold up, the crash bar won't and that worries me. he had highway pegs on , but said they weren't comfortable so took them off. He is about same height as me I think at 6'1". How comfortable are the pegs on canyon cages?

I think I like the E55 (no longer available) better than the V56. The way the plastic lens extends down onto the silver metal area on V56 seems strange. and the E55 lid is color matched. A V56 could be painted to match, but haven't seen one with both the small lid and the piece that goes around it both painted? Although I don't think current E55 setup is very comfortable with the backrest as too high and too far forward. I previously sat on one with exact same rack and case/backrest and no way I could ride on back with that setup. Don't know about wife. The Advanced sport touring rack (original) puts the case further back by about 2". not sure if that is enough for passenger comfort? Phil does make the pieces to move rack back also. The new advance sport touring rack moves it even further back, but don't like the look of it.

The bad thing about 2 is has a lot more miles. And valves not done. he has service done at dealer and gave me dealer and mechanic name. he was told no need to do them till notice power loss. I don't think I agree with that! Seems too late and may already damage if wait till then. I know that manual suggests like 15k, but in other markets suggest 26k. So it is over that too. I have done valves twice on my ninja, both times pulling cams to bring back to center of specs so I can do a valve job. But hate to buy a bike and then do a valve job instead of riding.

I don't have trailer so will be riding bike.. #1 live about 20-30 min from an airport and will pick me up. it is 16 hour ride home. no contacts on way except a sister at about 12 hours. #2 lives like an hour from airport, but hasn't yet offered to pick me up. it is 6 hour ride home but my other sister lives at about 1/2 way so could stop.

Just wanted some thoughts. maybe things I'm not thinking of? Thx.

Just Cliff has over 264,000 miles, and it's perfect, except for the strong smell from the seat.:poop:

These bikes are idiot-proof, I know because I'm an Idiot, and I can't hurt my 2011 that I bought new. Every Feb, our SE cog group sponsors a track day/ SCHOOL, and I've attended 3. They make you cover your tack with tape, so I've floated the valves a few times and beat the .... out of it, so I expected the valves to require adjustment, and at 33,000 miles, twice recommended miles, everything was in specs, Just contact that Steve in sunny Fla for his ECU flash and you will experience HEAVEN.:LOL: He is the most knowledgeable person as far as C14 go.

Enjoy, and Welcome, to juvenile delinquency:love:

Last edited:
I agree with Steve. Number 2 is the better valve with all the fatkles it already has. Negotiate the heck for it and a pick up at airport, you buy lunch. Is either owner a COG.member, or were they at some point?

thanks guys. Yes, I would likely be getting a flash from Steve-MRP. I have trouble letting anything stock. My 99 ZX-9R has full muzzy pipe, jet kit, ignition advancer. I even bought used cylinder (from a 2000) and was going to put a big bore kit in it. But never got around to it. The 2000+ cylinders were a little different than 98-99 and enabled a bigger kit (more hp, lol) , so that is why I got the 2000 cylinder off ebay.

I agree with Steve. Number 2 is the better valve with all the fatkles it already has. Negotiate the heck for it and a pick up at airport, you buy lunch. Is either owner a COG.member, or were they at some point?
don't know for sure if either were members. No 1, I think not. 2, I have no idea. I have both of their names but don't think I should say on forum?

Konehead34, I have PM with you before about your bike. I was considering buying a gray one and painting it at the time and I knew your color wasn't oem. Anyway, I know you have the highway pegs, several types. How are the ones on the canyon cages for you? How tall are you? I am about 6'1" with about 32" inseam. I was surprised when #2 owner said they were not comfortable.

Hands down #2! My 2012 has over 100K on it so I wouldn't worry about the mileage. There are well over $2,500 of additional items that your going to want anyway.

Get the oil filter protector!

I'd go for #2. I had a 2000 ZX-9R, loved that bike, then the 04/05 ZX-10 came to town....Yeah!

I have pegs on my canyon cages. I had to move them up on the cages because I kept dragging them. I even thought of taking them off because I rarely ride long distance anymore. I don't think that they are all that comfortable, just enough to stretch the legs for a bit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230315_203834_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230315_203834_Gallery.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 100
I have pegs on my canyon cages. I had to move them up on the cages because I kept dragging them. I even thought of taking them off because I rarely ride long distance anymore. I don't think that they are all that comfortable, just enough to stretch the legs for a bit.
Nice picture. You must be getting it leaned over pretty good. I like the flag in your profile pic. I'm from SW PA, but currently living in enemy territory (Baltimore area)

How are the ones on the canyon cages for you? How tall are you? I am about 6'1" with about 32" inseam. I was surprised when #2 owner said they were not comfortable.

I have pegs on my canyon cages & find them comfortable. I primarily only ride long distance with very little local riding. My inseam is 34", maybe a tad more.

I think I recognize that picture & where it was taken! :unsure:

"I think I recognize that picture & where it was taken! :unsure:"

I purposely zoomed in for privacy purposes. 😁

I haven't scraped a peg since I moved them up to where yours are mounted. I plan on leaving them on for now because they will come in handy on my ride to Waukon. 🏍

I need a good track day to help improve my lines to reduce peg scraping.

I vote #2. Lots of goodies and you might be able to get the seller down a bit, the price is just a little high IMO. But the market has changed a lot since I bought my C14...

You've already done valves twice before on a similar 4cyl motor so this won't be too different, with the FSM and all the good info here you won't have too hard a time doing it, plus on a new used bike, it's good to go through things and look for damaged/leaking parts and get those shored up anyway. Bike should only be down 2 weeks max for the job, including ordering shims. If you order a kit you can do it over a long weekend. And really, you are likely fine to ride it this season if you're not planning to put a ton of miles on it and just do the valve job next year. My 2011 had 34K on it and valves had never been done from what I could tell.

I hope that whatever bike you end up with, it goes smoothly and you have a great inaugural ride home!

just joined (posted in introductions) and about ready to get a used one. Both are too far away to really go see, but I have spoken with both owners and am pretty confident that both are in great shape. Both older guys. I have lot of pictures of both and no significant damage seen. never down. bikes are 2015 green. So here they are:

1. 7500 miles, not much added, just tank skins, RG front crash bars and RG front axle sliders. 2nd owner, 1st didn't have long wants $9400

2. 30,000 miles, loaded! all the usual goodies read about on this forum. single owner
Cee Bailey screen (not sure height)
Kaw Touring seat
Terry's custom seat (I am about same height/weight)
phil's rack
Givi E55 with color matched lid, Givi backrest, Givi rack (mounts on top of case), Givi brake light kit (minus quick release since Phil' rack)
Canyon Cages F&R
dual helmet locks
radiator guard
extended front fender
bar risers
pathfinder LED headlight
saddlebag and topcase liners
battery tender lead

asking $10,500

my wife kinda thinks crazy and just get the 1st one. But the extras on number 2 are nice. And can't get canyon cages anymore. I think I would like those best for several reason. they offer place to put highway pegs. RG not really great position for that. T Rex can add pegs, but I have concerns about those. I have ZX-9R and some track experience so worried about dragging the front TRex. I see a new video just posted here of a track day and he dragged a peg. pegs fold up, the crash bar won't and that worries me. he had highway pegs on , but said they weren't comfortable so took them off. He is about same height as me I think at 6'1". How comfortable are the pegs on canyon cages?

I think I like the E55 (no longer available) better than the V56. The way the plastic lens extends down onto the silver metal area on V56 seems strange. and the E55 lid is color matched. A V56 could be painted to match, but haven't seen one with both the small lid and the piece that goes around it both painted? Although I don't think current E55 setup is very comfortable with the backrest as too high and too far forward. I previously sat on one with exact same rack and case/backrest and no way I could ride on back with that setup. Don't know about wife. The Advanced sport touring rack (original) puts the case further back by about 2". not sure if that is enough for passenger comfort? Phil does make the pieces to move rack back also. The new advance sport touring rack moves it even further back, but don't like the look of it.

The bad thing about 2 is has a lot more miles. And valves not done. he has service done at dealer and gave me dealer and mechanic name. he was told no need to do them till notice power loss. I don't think I agree with that! Seems too late and may already damage if wait till then. I know that manual suggests like 15k, but in other markets suggest 26k. So it is over that too. I have done valves twice on my ninja, both times pulling cams to bring back to center of specs so I can do a valve job. But hate to buy a bike and then do a valve job instead of riding.

I don't have trailer so will be riding bike.. #1 live about 20-30 min from an airport and will pick me up. it is 16 hour ride home. no contacts on way except a sister at about 12 hours. #2 lives like an hour from airport, but hasn't yet offered to pick me up. it is 6 hour ride home but my other sister lives at about 1/2 way so could stop.

Just wanted some thoughts. maybe things I'm not thinking of? Thx.
I bought a 2009 last year from afar and have been totally satisfied. I used haulbikes.com to have her shipped 1200 miles for a very reasonable price. I was also impressed with them being both bonded and insured. Very professional operation and the bike came in perfect shape. Good luck with your choice. Can’t go wrong with either one in my opinion.

thanks for all the replies. I offered the guy with the loaded bike with 30k miles $9500. He said he could go down to $10,000 and a ride from airport and ride to MVA to get temp tag to transport. My state, MD, said they didn't have a tag for riding bike home and needed to get one from the state of purchase.

Last edited:
thanks for all the replies. I offered the guy with the loaded bike with 30k miles $9500. He said he could go down to $10,000 and a ride from airport and ride to MVA to get temp tag to transport. My state, MD, said they didn't have a tag for riding bike home and needed to get one from the state of purchase.
Yay! You are going to love that machine!

The mechanic comment on loss of power is when you know to do valves - yikes…. Such a shame to hear someone at a dealership telling owners to drive your machine to the point of damage then we’ll fix it (or you replace it). Oh WAIT it was a dealer right? Ahhh!! 😱

You will love the machine!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

# 2... More riding time the way you want it. How long to install all of that plus the other stuff you change for your personal preference. Plus the cost of those upgrades. Seems like a better by to me on #2.

Valve adjustments? I bought my 2010 at 31k and one valve reset on the record. Took it in at 52K and everything was in spec.
Based on what others have said here is kinda depends on how much hard and easy riding you do. I usually back off the throttle at 9k and shift... Mine is flashed and has the Area P muffler and runs nicely. Tons of low end power makes it easy to finesse the clutch. I don't know how many times I have forgotten to shift down to first and took off in 2nd... it didn't really matter by the time I realized my shifting forgetfulness.

I bought bigger head pipes but have not installed them yet.

Ted's brainwashing has claimed another one!!!

Look at the center dot, and listen to my voice....

Attachments

• 360_F_79439629_XDFhGDPtflgKGEUpvRQVjUkjbJY3r8NF.jpg
    360_F_79439629_XDFhGDPtflgKGEUpvRQVjUkjbJY3r8NF.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 42
@hammerash - good luck on the purchase. I see you're only a few hours away from Cumberland MD where we are having our Northeast Spring Fling Rally this years. Hope you can make it. It's a great opportunity to meet other members. Click the link for details...
Thanks Steve. I grew up in SW PA and drive through Cumberland when going back there. I checked out the link and I have done some of those roads. I went back home last summer on my ZX-9R and decided to not take 68. I went through Winchester, VA, Romney WV, Oakland, MD. Added an hour or so to the trip, but was a nice ride. I have Boy Scout camping trip that weekend so I may not be able to make it, but I don't think I'm needed on this trip so might make it.

Flying to Buffalo in about 3 weeks. owner picking me up and we will drive to his house. Will drive it to my sister's house, about 3 hours away. I can then make any adjustments to bike if needed to "fit" me. Then drive home another 3 hours the next day.

Last night he said, oh, I don't know if I mentioned it but I have a factory service manual. and I have another cover for keeping sun off seat when it is sitting, and I can give you a powerlet connector so you can wire up your Zumo for ride home. and I forgot that I had put a adjustable lip on the factory screen. Nice.

Nice! Always feels great when the "I forgot to tell you..." is extra gear, and not broken things or missing title or whatever.

Safe travels and hope it all goes smoothly!

Nice! Always feels great when the "I forgot to tell you..." is extra gear, and not broken things or missing title or whatever.
Is that not the truth!? Even better yet when the “I forgot to tell you” extra gear is at agreed price too!

Wayne, Carol & Blue