• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

throttle cable issue

kawani

Training Wheels
couple of thoughts first my throttle will not return on its own I am going to check for binding somewhere but am thinking it may just be not in adjustment please tell me someone knows a good way to adjust without having to pull the carbs its 40 degree's here and my garage is not heated and putting them in those cold boots was no fun. Todd

What happens if you take the Right hand control apart and pull on the return cable? Is the throttle still stuck? It is possible that the cable may be broken or have a kink in the metal sheath that surrounds the cable. If the cable hasn't been lubed in a while you might want to try some really thin oil (Dri slide, gun lube, etc.) that will flow well in cold temps. You should also double check the routing of the throtle cables especially around the handlebars to the neck of the frame. You want to have smooth bends in this area. With the push/pull throttle cables if should be possible to close the throttle even if the return spring on the carb is broken.

I would check the cables to see if something is binding. Also your hand grips may be pushed up against the right hand switch assembly on the handlebars, and this could prevent it from returning normally. On a rare case your return spring could have broken. The Concours has a push/pull cable system so you should be able to close and open the throttle. Can you do this? Try it with the engine OFF> David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

This same issue happened to me, from the moment I bought the bike. I found that the pull cable had come out of the bracket at the carbs. Take a look and see if that could be your trouble too. Doug Wood DeSoto,IL AMA#1090587

Same thing happened to my 06. Throttle would not return on its own making it a twist-on twist-off process, which made shifting a bit of a pain. All it needed was cable lubrication (hadn't been lubricated since new). Lubrication was a chore as I couldn't get the cable luber mechanism sold with the aerosol to do the job and I ended up very slowly spraying the lube down the cable. Anyway it worked out OK and is working as it should.

thanks guy simply was a case of the throttle cables needed lubed bad soon as I did the return came back completely she was up and running today took her out for a bit still got a couple of issues thinking it is getting air at a intake somewhere them boots were a pain being so cold going to go take a peek and see if I can see an issue there. the bike is very deep throated for lack of better description and when you hit the accelerator it seems slow to respond so I am thinking it is either an air issue or she iis running rich will check the intakes and plugs and see what signs it tells me. Todd