• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tie down recommendations

rmenzies

Tricycle
Folks: I recently came into the light and traded my 1997 R1100RT for an '09 Concours. I live in South Florida so my summer trips used to include a whole day pounding up I-75 in 90 degree plus and rain just to get out of the state. 4 or 5 years ago, I started taking the Autotrain from Sanford, FL to DC. It's awesome, and nonstop, leave at 4pm and wake at 8am in DC. Crew on train uses tie downs at the front. I've never trailered new bike. Any recommendations other than just using tie downs at the front forks? By that I mean are there other areas at the front that anyone uses? Thanks.

Using tie-downs attached to the lower triple clamp is the minimum needed. A front wheel chock will prevent the wheel from turning and causing the bike to fall. Also, 2 additional tie-downs in the rear keep the back from shifting.

I trailered my 1992 from Ohio to Fla. Kaw dealer insisted on loading and securing bike (Southeastern Ohio hospitality). Two fat but strong as an ox mechanics put the bike on its centerstand with the front wheel in a $29.00 wheel chock(Harbor Freight). I tried to tip them $20 but they refused to accept it. Tie downs pulling forward with no shock compression. Two tie downs on center frame, high (had to remove side panels)out to the sides and two pulling forward and down low on frame. Bike was on a wooden floor trailer. A metal floor may require additional tiedowns to keep bike centerstand from slipping. I used "soft straps" at each tie down. It never moved and I never tightened the straps in 1100 miles.