• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Time to Shop for Tires

Wineguy

Moped
OK, at the risk of starting another dreaded tire thread (which I am ;)), I'm down to the last 1,000 miles or so of life on my front and rear tires so I'm starting to shop. I'm very pleased with the handling on the bike (which I purchased last year) except if I'm on a grooved freeway, then the front end wants to wobble a bit. Not scary, just not smooth and since I rarely do much freeway riding, it's not a big deal. The bike currently has: Dunlop D220 120/70/R18's on the front Dunlop D404 150/80/R16's on the rear I ride: 5% highway 35% in-town 60% mountain back roads & twisties (yea Colorado!) I'm looking for decent performance & wear, which these seem to provide. Based on the notes from previous owners in the owner's manual, it looks like these tires will wear between 9K to 12K miles before changing (I've put the last 7K on 'em) with a little bit more available on the back. Any recommendations based on this info? Thanks for the assistance!

If you want to stick with Dunlops D205's will be the better choice. Z rated radials in stock Connie sized. Not too bad on mileage, reports of front cupping. So watcht the air pressure. Avon Storm / Azaro combo will be the most popular choice for 65% mountain backroads and twisties. Here the down side will be low mileage of the rear tire. There are a few other brands. The front is not too bad. The rear tire is hard to find a stock Connie size. 2003 Concours, 47K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
IMGP1036.jpg
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Interesting: not too many people with an opinion on tires, huh? That's OK, I'll let everyone know what I end up with. Thanks Slybones, I'll do some research on the Avons.

I think there are more than enough opinions. If you do a search on tires you should get some light reading. There was a thread around here lately that had lots of info on brands as well as sizes. Generally there is not much available for the C10. This is because its hard to find the rear tire in the stock size. The front tire size is not so bad. In the stock size, for performance sport-touring tires the Avon combo below is the most common/popular around here. The downside being tire life, especially the rear. Avon Storm ST AV55 120/70ZR-18 Front Tire Avon Azaro ST AV46 150/80ZR-16 Rear Tire The Dunlop D205's are known to get better mileage, are stock size, Z-rated, radials. These are not the stock Dunflops that came one bike. The downside is reports of the front cupping. Some dont like mix n match, and some are trying it to get a good combo that offers Z-rated radial performance, with some kind of mileage. A D205 rear for its mileage and a different front to eliminate cupping. There are some other brands I dont recall off the top my head. when I check on-line at the tire stores the biggest problem I see is they dont list a size for the rear. 2003 Concours, 47K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
IMGP1036.jpg
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

This is because you specified 60% mountain roads and twisties. If you had said I do 60% daily commuting on the freeway. And said 5% was backroads I would have steered you towards PigWing Tars ( Goldwing GL1500 ) size tires. My favorites here and what I have currently mounted are Michelin Pilot GT's. It all depends on how you ride as the most popular choice. There are of course those who use Pilot GT's and go like crazy and do quite well with them and visa versa. I am sure we can find it all out there. In terms of 80/20 rule, for the stuff you list 80% of the people will stick with and recommend the stock size and in a higher performace, Z-rated radial. 2003 Concours, 47K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
IMGP1036.jpg
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Thanks for the input, guys. Now one other question: how do the Avons handle dirt roads? Now riding on dirt is the exception rather than the rule, but I've already put about 50 miles of my riding time on the county- maintained dirt roads; some flat, some mountain.

That's a good question, I tend to take it very easy on dirt and gravel and only very rarely find myself on it. I haven't had any issues though.

Thanks Brett, I too take the dirt very gingerly. Oh, and one other question. Slybonese mentioned "cupping" and I tried to look up a picture of what that looks like. Can one of you describe what that is? It sounds like it affects the performance of the tire, but I'm not sure how. I've only been riding a year, so I'm figuring all this out as I go. But so far, it's been ALL FUN!! Thanks! :)

http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/#FRONT%20LEFT%20SIDE%20TIRE%20WEAR This is a pretty good 'splainer site that I found. I probably don't have to find you a picture of cupping, you can likely go out and look at your tires to see it. There are many contributing factors to it that people here will list with fervor if they stumble upon this topic. It's been discussed a lot since I joined last year. I've only been riding on the street for a year and a half now but I've put 15,000 miles on Connie in that time. I love it. :) Unlike a car tire, motorcycle tires have a curved surface that contacts the road. Most of the time only part of that surface is actually touching the road and wearing so the tires wear unevenly. Contributors are the type of road you're on, the way you ride, the make of tire, crowning of the roads etc.

Having been new to the connie since december, I needed new tires and was one of those that started a new tire thread...always interesting. I ended up getting the Dunlop Elite 3 wing size. I do a lot of riding in all types of weather. These are great tires, they are supposed to last forever. I like the touring feel to them, but they hit the twisties even in bad downpours with ease. I have been very pleased with them. the avon's would have been my second choice and from what I read on the forums I would not have been disappointed. I think the E3's would probably last a bit longer though. 98 Windsor Green Connie 11k

Talking tires can be like talking religion. Everyone has their beliefs and feelings. Here is my $0.02... I've used the Dunlop OEM and D205 (did not like either), Metzler Z2/Z4 combo (my all time favs, but unavailable), and now Avon Azaro/Storm. (current fav) I don't mind changing tires more often when the flip side is using tires that do not feel right (to me) or do not perform beyond my ability. I want to know the tire can do what I ask of them, and more. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Thanks for the information. I completed all my research both here, at the other site, and online. I decided to go with the Avons, and have placed an order with MotoXoutlet which had them on sale. ($269.98 out the door including shipping to my dealer for installation). I'll post another report on how I like 'em after I put some miles on them.

Son just got a set of "Sport Demonds" form Motorcycle Super Store in Medford Or for $239+ Will see how he likes them. He is tough on tires though. 1990 Aint she a pretty Tomato (the bike ofcourse) wedshots albums http://community.webshots.com/user/sawfiler64/albums/most-recent

Personally... I'd go 110 size Pilot Road 2 on the front and the Avon Azaro rear. If I could convert the rear to 17" (Kosman mod or MeanStreak rear mod) then I'd run PR2 on both ends. Currently I have the Roadsmart 17" front and the Azaro rear. This summer I'll have the Meanie wheel on and switch to the PR2s all around I think. I have enjoyed the Roadsmart front in the 120/70-17 size pretty well though. It handles well and does pretty good in the wet. Mileage has been far better than the Avons as well with no exhibition of the dreaded Avon head shake.

Gonna order tires tomorrow. I have the Avons on now, storm and azaro. I heard some say the Avon don't get very good mileage. As of today I have 9262 miles on the rear and 12632 on the front. I thought this was pretty good. what are others getting?

From most reports thats decent mileage for Avons. Not necessarily the highest. Front seems in line. 9K+ for the rear seems pretty good. 2003 Concours, 47K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
IMGP1036.jpg
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg