• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Time to start looking...

bigjoeva68

Road Bike
My fellow COGgers, I need some advice. As most probably remember, I sold my beloved 2006 Connie when I made a drastic life change and moved to GA. As my finances settle in and the costs get paid, I will start on my search for my next motorcycle...and I have a whole lot of mixed feelings...

I am a relatively new rider, only starting my motorcycling addiction about 5 years ago. Connie was my first motorcycle, and the only other one I had ever driven was the Nighthawk 250 I trained on at the MSF course. So, not a lot of experience to pull from.

Here is my problem: I absolutely love the seating position of the Connies, both the C10 and C14. I feel I am ready for a bigger motorcycle, the C10 was starting to feel a bit small to me. Since their release, I have always wanted to upgrade to the C14. I like the way it looks, sounds, and feels. But after that tech day a few weeks back, when after hours of wrenching we never even saw the engine...well, I am starting to think it may not be the best pick for me in my current living conditions. Although I now have access to a garage, I can't store it in there, I could only use it during the day on the weekends; so, long term wrenching projects can't happen. I am a bit surprised at the amount of work needed just to get to basic components, especially on a bike designed for touring. I would hate to have to pull a spark plug on the road, holy cow! And I can't afford to get the dealership to do all the work, either...unless my MegaMillions investment pays off...

So...

I need some advice on a C14 class motorcycle, with as close to the same seating position (feet under butt, torso mostly upright) that doesn't require so much effort just to maintain. Bags would be nice, but not a primary consideration, I usually just strap a duffle on when I tour anyway. I would prefer something modern with fuel injection, but biggest consideration is low maintenance and comfort (seating, not necessarily environment, so minimal fairing is fine, maybe even preferred). Sport bikes seem a bit more accessible, but a lot less comfortable...I think I am looking for what used to be called a "standard" motorcycle, although I am really not interested in a v-twin...The only other motorcycle I have tried on was a V-Strom, and it felt good, but I don't know if that is really a step up from the C10...

Thanks for any suggestions ya  may have. I am sure it will be fun just looking and trying them on for size, but it would help to limit the searching to something relevant. :)

The two main competitors to the Connie is the Yamaha FJR or the Honda ST 1300.  Both are fuel injected with an upright feet under you seating position.  I am sure both would need an aftermarket seat to be comfortable, but many stock bike seats are just plain horrible.  BMW also has many bikes that would fit your needs, but I know hardly anything about them other than they are expensive.

Dont forget the Moto Guzzi Norge as a competitor to the C14, FJR, ST.  Sorry to add confusion to this topic,  but the Guzzi is worth considering based on your parameters. 

Guzzi's are built on the premise of direct, simple, proven design and technology.  Much of the mechanics havent changed over the years,  Fuel Injection has been added,  but the same simple engine design, CARC shaft drive and braking systems have been employed across the lineup.

Parts are and service are more challenging to find, but the simple design and common parts make it a breeze to maintain, service and repair when needed.

Norge:  http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2007-MOTO-GUZZI-Norge-1200-Gt-100656015
Breva:  http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2008-Moto-Guzzi-Breva-1200-Sport-102570552
Older Centauro:  http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/1998-MOTO-GUZZI-CENTURO-102952852

I am biased and I love my Guzzi,  but I am sure I will be forgiven.

Consider a Bandit 1250 with optional bags and lowers.  if your riding is 1-up, it might be a good choice.  I prefer the body of the older 07 and 08 models than the new ones.

Joe,

I will only speak from my own experience. About a year ago I made a transition from 2005 C10 to 2004 R1150RT and have no regrets. I don't fix my bike because of lack of space and time but many owners who service their RT’s themselves claim the RT is not an overly complicated bike. All sport-tourers have plastic to remove before you get to the engine so the RT should be comparable. Here is my review of both bikes: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,25906.msg96917.html#msg96917 There is an additional post on page two of this thread which I wrote after one year and 15K of riding the RT. Please contact me if you have any questions or need any additional info. Hope this will help you to make an informed decision.

Ride safe whatever you ride!  :motonoises:
Alex

Take another look at the DL1000 (Vstrom). It is way ahead of the C10 in technology and is physically a larger bike but lighter.

Most of the bikes similar to the C14 (FJR, ST1300)are going to have tupperware complications.  If I understand you correctly, what you are looking for is less fairing, but as big or bigger bike.

The first thing that comes to mind in the "similar" category, but less faired in would be Triumph 1050 ST (used) or 1050 GT (new/newer).  Depending on the year some are more forward leaning than others and would require risers.  The motor is a triple and sounds awesome. In a similar vein, consider the Bandit.  There is a Suzuki promotional deal going on right now that gives you about $1200 or so worth of factory panniers and top box for a $299 (? a deep discount anyway)  The Bandit is more upright than the Sprint and has been around forever.

The next model you might want to look at  is not usually considered as a sport tourer but is often used by their owners as such, the VFR 800 or newer VFR 1000. Awesome, throaty sounding, tried and true V4 motor.  You can get both factory and aftermarket panniers for them and I've seen prisitne four and five year old examples with panniers on CL in the $7k range.  Again might require risers.

If you are thinking even less faired than these, look at a more standard style Honda Superhawk 919, or at the other end of the spectrum, Triumph America or even bigger Thunderbird. Cruiser vibe but upright ergs, and not faired at all.  More like riding a heavy Bonnie than a Harley or Harley clone.  There are three Triumph dealers in Georgia, two in or near Atlanta, and the third I believe is in Athens.

If you haven't discovered WOW Motorcycles in Atlanta, just Google it, and get yourself down there to see one of the largest selections of used bikes ever.  You should be able to narrow down your search there.

Happy Hunting

Another possible option could be a Bandit 1250.  I've never owned or even ridden one, but I was seriously considering one before I decided to go with a dedicated sport tourer.  The FZ6 or FZ1 is another in the same class as the Bandit and might work for you.

Hi Joe. Yeah, I watched the valve adjust attempt, too and had the same reaction. Really like the bike, don't like the complexity.

When I was looking for the Connie I drooled over the V-Strom 1000. It's tall and as powerful as the Connie C-10. Throw in some aftermarket bags and a taller windshield and you're about in the same class. That will be where I go (probably) if I upgrade. 

Check out a dealer in Dahlonega GA  (www.ridershill.com) if you want to look at Guzzi's and usually a good selection of consignment bikes as well as new Guzzi's and Aprilias. They're on Hwy 9 north of Dahlonega and those folks are very nice. They have a good tire shop and a big crowd on Saturdays. The seem to have better prices than WOW, but that's close to you on 41 in Marietta north of the Big Chicken. If you go to Rider's Hill, talk to Dave. He works the showroom and rides an ST1300 and came off a C-10.

I looked at the Bandit and liked it...but you're three inches taller than me and it felt too small for me.

WOW has huge selection so you can look at lots of options in one place. Ride on!
Ron

Thanks for all the input, I look forward to shopping soon!

Some of the riders at work turned me on to WOW, I am going to check that out very soon and get some ideas of costs and fittings. I am hoping to buy something within the next two months, judging by the new paycheck. I am in serious need of my therapy. ;D  :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

Another to consider is the Kawasaki ZRX 1100 (1999-2000) or 1200 (2001-2006) They don't sell them new in the U.S. anymore so it would be used and there not F.I. but mine has never failed to start perfectly. There are after market bags available to add on if desired. And in excellant shape can be had for 3-4 grand. Seating position is very close to the Connie. This is a pic of my 1100, which is for sale by the way. ;) to bad we're so far apart.

Attachments

• ZRX1100r.JPG
    ZRX1100r.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 102
I sold my BMW K1200GT last week and I will recommend NOT to buy that model. Too many inherent problems that are expensive fixes. I had originally intended to replace it with a Yamaha Super Tenere, but instead, a really nice '08 C-14 with only 2000 mi. dropped in my lap and I couldn't resist. Anyway, the Super Ten has factory bags available, LOTS of leg room, and 24,000 miles between valve checks. It really seems suited to a tall rider, even though a taller windscreen will no doubt be needed. I test rode one and REALLY liked it. Whenever I can afford to get another bike for the stable, the S10 will be it.

Excuse my while I do the flame suit.....    Have you ever ridden a cruiser??  I have both my trusty C-10 and my Yamah Tour Deluxe...  If I had to choose one, it would the Yamaha....  Don't get me wrong, I love the connie, but...

Let me caveat...  I live in Kansas, i.e. no twisties.  I can't seem to want to ride more than about 300 miles on the connie at one time, but I rarely tire on the cruiser (Could be the barcalounger riding position?? who knows).  My connie is my commuter, better weather protection, better fuel economy, and I don't feel compelled to wash it. 

Now if I am traveling to see the sights or two-up it will be Yamaha every time, but I have ridden just to ride twisties, and it is expenentially more fun on the C-10.

Never ridden a Goldwing, so I can't comment on that.

+1 on the SuperTenere from Yamaha.  My best friend commutes 104 miles per day (on track to do about 18000 miles this year) and bought the S10 about a month ago.  He passed on the factory tour bags due to price and is looking for the more industrial aluminum boxes from the aftermarket, so saved a little money.  The SuperT is a  brand new model for this year so will be in the $14k to $15k range depending on accessories.  My friend traded his Honda ST1300 with about 100,000 miles on it and absolutely loves the new SuperTenere.  He said he didn't know why he didnt make the switch sooner.  It'll go straight and do the twisties and is super comfortable.  He is 6'2" about 200lbs.  Hope this helps

You being a big guy, think again about a V-Strom.  I am 6'-5", and it is the most comfortable bike I've been on.  And it is a huge step up from a C10 in terms of ride comfort, braking performance, as well as suspension.  Lots of aftermarket luggage options, suspension and braking upgrades if you desire, as well as some foot peg lowering brackets that are well thought out and work extremely well.

ZRXwannabe said:
Another to consider is the Kawasaki ZRX 1100 (1999-2000) or 1200 (2001-2006) They don't sell them new in the U.S. anymore so it would be used and there not F.I. but mine has never failed to start perfectly. There are after market bags available to add on if desired. And in excellant shape can be had for 3-4 grand. Seating position is very close to the Connie. This is a pic of my 1100, which is for sale by the way. ;) to bad we're so far apart.

The ZRX1200 has a great engine, lots of mid-range torque.

Dan

Sirius Scratch said:
+1 on the SuperTenere from Yamaha.  My best friend commutes 104 miles per day (on track to do about 18000 miles this year) and bought the S10 about a month ago.  He passed on the factory tour bags due to price and is looking for the more industrial aluminum boxes from the aftermarket, so saved a little money.  The SuperT is a  brand new model for this year so will be in the $14k to $15k range depending on accessories.  My friend traded his Honda ST1300 with about 100,000 miles on it and absolutely loves the new SuperTenere.  He said he didn't know why he didnt make the switch sooner.  It'll go straight and do the twisties and is super comfortable.  He is 6'2" about 200lbs.  Hope this helps

Those look like cool bikes! 1200cc parallel twin with shaft drive, 6 gallon tank. I don't like the high exhaust but I can see why the did it that way. It looks tucked in a lot better than other bikes with similar routing.

Spoke wheels because of lightness? More flexible maybe? Peculiar tire sizes (110/80R 19 front, 150/70R 17 rear) but that may be SOP for adventure tourers.

Dan

Joe, bag up a VStrom. Go ride one and then farkle it out. Bullet proof engine and price/performance is great.

Triumph Tiger might be a good second option. Bob Wilde is pretty tall like you and he tears it up on that bike.

The Yamaha Tenere' is also a good option if you want to spend more cake.

We'll miss you at the Wildflower.

Craig

Jeff said:
Take another look at the DL1000 (Vstrom). It is way ahead of the C10 in technology and is physically a larger bike but lighter.

+100000

Joe, I know you're a BIG guy, so the DL650 might not be up to your power desires, (althought I think it would be adequate you might want/need the extra oomph of the DL1000).  Check out the new 2012 DL650 it has been changed somewhat.  I am SOOOO happy with my 2007 ABS Wee-Strom I hardly ride my 2003 Connie anymore.  I have two sets of luggage for the Wee, and with the Givi 460E trunk box and the E36 side cases, I have MORE storage than the Connie, and easier on/off. I have 58,000 on the Connie (51,000 are mine) and 30,000 on the Wee (all mine).  I love the upright seating position, and I am one of the few who don't mind the OEM seat.  I had trouble with the stock windshield, but I actually cut down my old Connie 'shield and it works perfectly. I'm about 1/2 your size, 6'1" and about 190 lbs and I have done some 400 mile days on my Wee without strain.  55 MPG doesn't hurt, either.

pics below

Attachments

• Copy of P1000863.JPG
    Copy of P1000863.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 91
  • Wee at Crescent Lake email (640x480) (600x450).jpg
    Wee at Crescent Lake email (640x480) (600x450).jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Wee bags at night email.JPG
    Wee bags at night email.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 87
I appreciate all the feedback. :)

The most recommended seems to be the DL1000, which I have actually sat on before and does seem more comfortable than the C10 was for a tall person like me. Moving up in power/class isn't really THAT important to me, but I am a big dude (over 300lbs).

I like the way the Bandit looks, but it seems to be more of a forward leaning seating position. The Super Tenere looks really neat, although I am not crazy about spoked wheels...purely for aesthetic reasons. And I don't think I could afford one anyway.

Going to look around a bit, WOW only had 1 DL1000. Keeping my eyes open.  >:D

Look for the Stromtroopers website. They've got a classified section like our Emporium and these come up on that.

Just casually looking and trying to get a feel for what these other bikes are going for. Found these two at the WOW site:

http://www.wowmotorcycles.com/view-bike.aspx?SKU=10341&source=S

Stock Nr: 10341
Make: SUZUKI
Model: DL1000 V-STROM
Model name: DL1000K
Year: 2007
Miles: 13157
Color: BLK/SLV
CC: 996
Cylinders: 2
Price: $7585

http://www.wowmotorcycles.com/view-bike.aspx?SKU=11734&source=S

Stock Nr: 11734
Model: GSF1250S
Model name: BANDIT
Year: 2008
Miles: 5869
Color: BLU
CC: 1255
Cylinders: 4
Price: $5980

Trying to understand why the newer, lower mileage Bandit is so much cheaper than the V-Strom...They also have an older Bandit that I could actually afford now:

http://www.wowmotorcycles.com/view-bike.aspx?SKU=20004&source=S

Stock Nr: 20004
Model: GSF1200S
Model name: BANDIT
Year: 2002
Miles: 6789
Color: BLUE
CC: 1157
Cylinders: 4
Price: $3970

Looks like carbs rather than fuel injection...Pretty low mileage, although I could have forgone the flames. LOL!

Probably symptomatic of demand for Stroms. Also, IIR, the Bandit feels "smaller" to a taller rider and you're taller than me. I'd ride them both.

I am actually leaning toward the V-strom (not this particular one, but in general). I tried one on once (people my size don't "test drive" anything, we try them on...) and it did fit very well for my size.

Only thing that troubles me about it is long- range riding comfort, because I certainly want to get back into that. I did over 500 miles on the C-10 in one day and it really wasn't bad at all, and that was box-stock on pegs/handle bars. I never did install extenders. They both look much easier to work on than the C10 or C14 though, so they meet that criteria anyway...

Have you done any reading on the Stromtroopers.com website? Those guys apparently do some long distance riding. Biggest issues seem to be sprockets and chains, but that's universal and not particularly a big problem.

I understand the "try on" thing. That's the way we tall people buy buy cars, too. Can't tell you how many "nice" cars don't give me legroom, headroom, etc. and I have to walk away from them. I drive trucks, SUV's, and so forth for the headroom. My F250 is the only vehicle I've ever had that I don't have put the seat all the way to the end of the tracks.

ron203 said:
Have you done any reading on the Stromtroopers.com website? Those guys apparently do some long distance riding. Biggest issues seem to be sprockets and chains, but that's universal and not particularly a big problem.

Not yet, but I plan on taking a look soon.

I understand the "try on" thing. That's the way we tall people buy buy cars, too. Can't tell you how many "nice" cars don't give me legroom, headroom, etc. and I have to walk away from them. I drive trucks, SUV's, and so forth for the headroom. My F250 is the only vehicle I've ever had that I don't have put the seat all the way to the end of the tracks.

Same here. The Jeep is tight on the legs, but a bunch of head room. May be trading that in soon, the gas expense is killing me here. I didn't drive much at all in Texas, but here I have to drive all over the place. Looking at maybe a crossover, if I can find one that fits...The Mazda CX-5 looks pretty sharp, but don't know if I want a new car payment...Of course if I get a bike sooner rather than later, the gas expense may balance out even with the Jeep...

I pass the Atlanta Falcons camp in Flowery Branch at least once a week and during the season, you see a lot of Tahoes and trucks in the lot. Those guys are all about  your size. Good luck. I've always wished for a 4 liter turbo diesel F-150. Maybe someday. I find that cars made for Americans and Europeans tend to be larger inside than Asian cars. That said, we've got one Ford, one Toyota, one Mitsu, and one Nissan here at the house. My son (6'6") drives a Ford Explorer that I bought off a local Doctor who's also 6'4".

I understand the gas thing. I filled up the Ford today and got 4 extra gallons in my 5 gal bike reserve that I keep in the garage and it was a cool $100. Just da**!

I filled Connie up Saturday for $15 but it was already half full.

Saw one at the RWTW and thought of you and came to the same conclusion. Good call.

I didn't see it mentioned, but check out the R1200GS BMW also. Lots of leg room for us larger riders too! The newer ones have over 100 hp & IIRC, they're at least 50 lbs lighter than the C10. Lots of suspension travel & of course that great BMW attitude that comes free w/ the bike.. :D
On the downside, there is that little rear drive bearing failure issue that BMW won't admit to, but it's only as frequent in the GS series as the k-pass issue or drive shaft clunk in the C14... :-\

Sorry for my absence, the new job has been keeping me pretty busy. Not to mention my new lifestyle, close to family and civilization!

I had to trade in my beloved Rubi for a much better gas mileage vehicle, so this has slowed down my search for a new mount because new car payments took a chunk out of my farkle money...but, the 0% interest deal with Suzuki someone posted got my attention...So I am thinking about taking a look even though I always said I wouldn't buy new...

Looking at 2 models, the V-Strom 1000 (obviously) as well as the GSX1250FA. Ergo on the V seems the best for my height (love that website!) but the GSX ergo seems close to the Connie's...any thoughts on the GSX as a choice for a big & tall like me? Also, anyone taken a GSX apart, it does have a bit of faring, but not as much as a C14...

Thanks again for all the insight! :)

Sorry you had to get rid of the Rubi. I saw  that in Rome and it was a nice ride. I looked long and hard at the DL1000 before I bought the Connie 'cause I really like the way it fits a tall guy. I just didn't have the cash to put into it right then, but I still find myself looking at them.

Sport Rider said:
Consider a Bandit 1250 with optional bags and lowers.  if your riding is 1-up, it might be a good choice.  I prefer the body of the older 07 and 08 models than the new ones.

Yes!  This was also my first thought as I read your post.  Nowhere near the weather protection of the C10 but how often are you really THAT caught out in bad weather?  Maybe sometimes, but with some Frogg Toggs in the bag, no big deal.  Like the C10, the Bandit is proven tech with huge aftermarket and fanatical base.  The ZRX would be another one; I'm sure you've thought of it already.  Seems like better used prices for the Bandit than the ZRX, from what I've seen...ZRX guys apparently more proud of their rides.  Pick up a cheap Bandit 1200 or 1250, drop a grand on nice bags and you've got a stump puller you could ride anywhere.  Comfy, upright, sporty.  Classic UJM.  Personally, I'd go ZRX but they're hard to find at a good price.

Well, the dealer made me an offer I couldn't  refuse...I pick up my new DL1000 Tuesday!  :motonoises:

V-strom.jpg

Gnarly, Joe, that is great news. How are you going to stand having to wait until Tuesday? That's gotta be torture.

Dan

BTW, we expect a full report with pictures!

It is torture, but the weather is making it a bit easier, raining most of the time until then.  ::)

I promise full pictures and a ride report as soon as I can.  :motonoises:

There is nothing quite like the look of a big goob like me giddy with excitement!  :)

Shoot, it's not even my bike and I can't wait!!! Whoee!!!!  It's "Not Christmas!!!"

This is typical of Lafoon luck...

So...I ordered my gear on Sunday and paid the extra for overnight shipping, knowing that I was supposed to pick up my new girl today...Apparently, "overnight" means "four days" in some language I am not familiar with...but all was looking good, because when I checked the shipping status this morning at 7:30am, it said "Out for Delivery."

12 hours later...It isn't at home.  :-[

I dig through my still-packed stuff and find my old helmet, but I have no riding jacket. I burned mine before I left Texas because it was seriously ratty. I always ride ATGATT, and now I have no armor. I donned a long sleeve shirt and hoped for the best...

My brother drove me to the dealership, and when we arrived my salesman said they were charging the battery and it would be a bit. We wandered around drooling on other motorcycles. My brother was fascinated with the Can-Am Spyder they had (he doesn't ride). After about 15 minutes, my salesman comes out and says he hates to break it to me, but when they started the bike it smoked a bit.  :eek:

Since they were getting ready to close, he said he would rather keep it until tomorrow and let a tech check it out just in case it isn't just the packing grease burning off.  :mad:

Well, maybe this is God's way of making sure I have all my gear, because when we got home, my sister-in-law said the gear arrived 10 minutes after we left.  ::)

So, I didn't even get to sit on it and  make vroom vroom noises.  :'(

But my brand new Shoei Neotec and Tourmaster mesh gear arrived. And the Neotec has that Pinlock thingee everyone seems to be talking about, so I get to figure out what that is tonight...and then try again tomorrow. Please say a little prayer to the cycle gawds that I ain't getting a lemon...

Here's hoping tomorrow is a better cycle day!  :motonoises:

Man, that's tough but I can relate.

After weeks of searching the Harley-Davidson dealers in the Bay Area, we finally found the exact 1968 Sportster XLCH I had been looking for. My Dad had driven me all over kingdom come looking for it and we found it at Bernie & Sons in Belmont. Price was even better than others had quoted but nobody else took us seriously enough to try to find one for us. I was specific, it had to be Candy Blue in color with all the options (dual exhaust, tachometer, aluminum wheels, chrome accessory kit, etc.).

The day came to pick it up and it was raining pitchforks and axe handles. We had to take the truck with the camper on it to go get it, I couldn't even ride it home. When we got home, all I could do was start it up in the garage and let it idle until it got up to temperature and shut it off. This went on for a day or so. I had never been tortured like that before.

So, I can relate. I hope all is well with the bike and they don't have to go into the engine to find out what is wrong.

Keep us up to date.

Dan

I'm tickled fer ya Joe.  I'm also VERY glad you didn't get to ride witout the gear today.  I'll sure take it as a sign.  :)

Be safe and I look forward to those giddy pix.  You rock buddy!  :great: :beerchug:

Well I finally Finally FINALLY got to ride 'er home today!

600455_10151003841112249_1867860178_n.jpg

(No, she really isn't that small, I am really THAT big.)

I only put about 10 miles on her getting her home. First impressions: Definitely NOT a Connie. Feels like a bicycle, sounds like a souped up chainsaw, and the power band (obviously) is way different. Gotta get used to that. Stalled four times on the way home...

Lots of wind noise in the new helmet, too, with no real windscreen. What little there is, is adjustable, I will have to see how high it goes. Gotta remember the ear plugs.

The seating position for me is like sitting in a chair, my legs are nearly at 90* when I put them on the pegs. Very comfortable position for the ride home, but I wonder about long days, I am nearly straight up on the spine. I think the bars are adjustable, though, so maybe move them a bit forward for a bit more forward lean.

I know the numbers say the V is only 100 lbs or so lighter than the C-10, but I am telling ya, it feels like a moped. I haven't wound her up yet being the break in period and all...

I dunno...I am going to have to warm up to her, I think...

But is sure feels good to be on two wheels again!  :motonoises: :great:

Outstanding Joe! You look so calm, cool and collected like you do this everyday!

What was the problem with the smoking engine? Simple I hope.

Dan

You looking good Mr. Big.  :great:

Can't wait to hear more as you go along.  Sweet looking ride.  Dolores says, "At least it's the right color."  :)

Ron, it is a brand new 2012 DL1000.

The smoking, as we all suspected, was packing grease on the engine. They gave it a good clean, tested the snot out of it, and blessed it.

I will be riding it again on Friday to work since my brother is taking the day off. Since we commute, I won't ride much during the work week, but I look forward to some really nice weekends in my future. ;D

:motonoises: :motonoises: :)

Oddly enough, blue is my color. But I couldn't get the CX-5 in blue and ended up with red...and now same same with the V. I guess red is my new blue.  :great:

...now say after me..."Go Dawgs!!" (the other local collective in Georgia)  :rotflmao:

I like it! I had not seen that model and color. Might be my next bike!

I thought I would break the Murph's addiction with the acquisition of the V...So much for that idea.  :D

Center stand half price of OEM, and something that might help with the wind noise...Let the farklization begin!  >:D

BigJoeVA68 said:
I thought I would break the Murph's addiction with the acquisition of the V...So much for that idea.  :D

Center stand half price of OEM, and something that might help with the wind noise...Let the farklization begin!  >:D

You can run, but you can't hide!  :))

Just to throw in my 13 cents... You'll grow to love the VeeStrom. It has at least 400x more power than the WeeStrom brethren you'll see everywhere. The DL1000 is a much more rare bike, but still with affordable parts. Once you get past break-in you'll be able to happily cruise in the 3,500-6,000 power band sweet spot and you'll realize that while it's not a rocket, it's a very stout performer on road, off road, and in all manner of twisty road you wish to guide it through.

Having owned an SV650 I have a lot of firsthand experience with a similar engine design and I promise you, it's quite easy to work on. Oh, and it gets killer gas mileage too.

Big Joe... I just found this discussion. (Need to go back and read thru it) 
But fer now,  I have to say;  Good for you!!!!!

Start your planning for next years National,,,, NOW!!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Joe, I just saw this thread so congrats on your new steed! I've heard a ton of good things about the DLs from folks on the LDRiders list....they are definitely popular among the endurance-riding crowd.

Noticed you're in Marietta now. Have you made it to Williamson Bros. Bar-B-Q yet? If not, you owe it to yourself to go....I was there last year and it's the closest thing you'll find to Heaven here on Earth!

best,
John

John_Atkinson said:
Joe, I just saw this thread so congrats on your new steed! I've heard a ton of good things about the DLs from folks on the LDRiders list....they are definitely popular among the endurance-riding crowd.

It isn't what I expected when I bought an "adventure" bike. My first impressions were harsh, but unwarranted. I only have 200 miles on her so far, but 150 of that was this weekend in one trip, and I am very pleasantly surprised. I look forward to getting her out of the break in period.  :motonoises:

Noticed you're in Marietta now. Have you made it to Williamson Bros. Bar-B-Q yet? If not, you owe it to yourself to go....I was there last year and it's the closest thing you'll find to Heaven here on Earth!

I have not, but I will add it to my growing list of local good eats. I was in culinary hell in South Texas. Okay, maybe not hell, I DO like Mexican...just not as the ONLY choice.  :rotflmao:

My friend had the ribs at Williamsons' and said they were the best he had ever eaten.

Funny thing is that they seem to be huge Republican supporters (pics all over the place) so if you're a Democrat you might have to close your eyes......            :D

Even then, it'd be worth the pain.....the food is incredible.

You'd better catch Neal Boortz on 95.5 fm before he retires, then. You'll love him. :great:

I have listened to him often. He is one reason I found out about the FairTax and became a supporter. (But we don't delve into politics here.  :eek:)

:-X

Before Joe gets started,,, on that...

Have you rode the new bike anymore Joe?
Whut do ya think?
Will it make it to Idaho Falls nexyt year??

Ride safe, Ted

Did a 150 miler on the 4th, there is a thread elsewhere. Rode her to work last two days, trying to get past the break-in period so I can really see what she is like.  ;D

I can't plan anything that far in advance. Heck, even a month is difficult right now with the job since I am too new to have any vacation time yet. But I hope to make some local weekend functions and stay involved. And I still want a C14 some day...just because....  :motonoises: