• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Trash bags for Avon Storm 3D's on stock rims.

frenche

Moped
      So far, have only worked front rim. Several unsuccessful attempts to break bead. Used improvised lever of 2x6 tubing with pointed 2x4 wood, which was easy once I tried using the bottom side of a truck undercarriage as an end fulcrum.
      Several failed attempts mounting one lip at a time. Switched to trashbag method. The first lip went on very easy. But, the second lip was a no go. Improvised by securing top & bottom lips with C-clamps. I wàs at 6 o'clock with a C-clamp at 10 o'clock and the second at 2 o'clock. Easy, peasy, a little over two minutes. Took a little longer to pick the two trash bags out from between the tire & the rim.
      Will report on rear tire when available.

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Having another AVON storm fail on me leads me to agree, avons need trash bags.  :mad:  Steve
Yikes.  I just put my first set on.  ~630 miles so far and I really like them.  Going to keep an eye on them, though.

I had an extra set of hands while I did mine, so all went easy.  Well, except for the front tire which I tried to do myself for too long before dragging my son away from the Xbox for a few minutes.  But once I had the extra set of hands, it went quickly.

Steve in Sunny Fla, Are you saying Avons Storms are not good tires or that they can be easily damaged during mounting onto rims? frenche

Well, you have them now and they are new.

I would keep a VERY close eye on them for unusual wear and especially the rubber cracking/splitting in the tread grooves and/or a worsening  vibration.

Finally getting to rear tire. Removed wheel today. Used Harbor Freight zip ties (the largest size they sell and good for 175 pounds each, $1.79 for a ten pack) & and should have used 6 per tire. I wanted a very easy and quick tire removal, so I used two garbage bags. Not the fast, easy removal I wanted, but certainly good enough to report. I had to go around the circumference of the rim three times just cinching the tire lips together.. Probably took five minutes to get the tire off the rim. I did have to use tire tools to get the tire started going outside of the rim, but finished by hand. I am rating this cheap method as moderately good.

Attachments

• 2016-07-28 19.34.55.jpg
    2016-07-28 19.34.55.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 135
SteveJ. said:
Well, you have them now and they are new.

I would keep a VERY close eye on them for unusual wear and especially the rubber cracking/splitting in the tread grooves and/or a worsening  vibration.

How do you stay on the bike watching them so closely??  :pokestick:  Missed ya at the Nationals Steve!  Hope your trip North was "cool".  :beerchug:

I'm on my 3rd round with the Avons, and haven't had any issues, save a nail in a rear tire... not much you can do 'bout dat.
They don't wear well...  Last front lasted about 13k miles when it started the "wub wub wub" noises .  I've typically had to replace mine before the wear bars, 
which isn't long enough for what you pay for 'em.   

I love the tires (tyres).  They've held the road flawlessly wet and dry.  Never had a failure.  They have a sketchy rep 'round these parts, but hey,
no matter what tires you have on, you should be looking at them regularly. 

Easiest way to get tires OFF if you don't have fancy levers and a tire machine:

Ruglyde rim lube is the best stuff, as it's made for this, but if you don't have it, do what you gotta do.  Never tried the garbage bag trick, but heard about it.

Once you break the bead (can be done with a giant carpenter's clamp or "C"-clamp or whatever you have), slice all the way around the center of the tread with a razor knife or such.  (What do you care, you're not putting it back on, right?) It's real easy to work one half of the tire off at a time as you don't have to fight the opposing bead down into the wheel valley.  You can flip one side off at a time with a tire spoon, it's real easy.  On my Wee-Strom with Bridgestones I can pull the front tire halves off with my hands once I get it started. 

I stole the garbage bag trick from antique car guys and demonstrated it in Johnson City a couple of years ago.  The trash bags you ue make all the difference.  Some are slick and easy reagardless of the tire, some are less so.  Your bags are the less so variety.  If they are shiny, they will work, but not very well.  You want a plastic bag that is thin, strong, and does not feel rubbery at all. THis last part is the most important one.  If the bags feel dry and paper-like (not slick) then they will give the best result and pull back out easiest too. HTH

I've never heard of this bag method, but then I've never needed it, good to know. I installed Avon's last year, so far, all is well, but will keep an eye open. My riding and weight is a little less aggressive than most here though. ;D