• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Try Dyna Beads in you tires

IronButtAl

Had the question many times. What's my method for tire balance and how many miles does each tire yield. The short of it; Yes Dyna Beads work, no there isn't a down side, yes, it helps tire mileage. I buy the kit(s) from Whitehorse Press for $ 12.95. That balances both tires. The tires on my thumper are getting 12K-14K miles, which at $119.00 a pair shipped, really makes my riding cheap. Gone is the constant bounce from the 21 inch hoops & no cupping. I've used this method for the last 16 months, putting 62K miles on my KLR in that time. Same results with my 99 connie, but just not putting much for mileage on it anymore. If you have this done at a shop, remember, your balance job depends on the amount of time your technician spends on the process, and how good a quality the bearings and stand are. Chances are, you're not getting the best job that can be done, and it's going to be more expensive than twelve dollars for the pair. Try it.....you'll like it.

Order placed. I'll just blame it on you if it works :) http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

Yes Dyna Beads work, no there isn't a down side FYI, this is from the FJR forum about the Dyna Beads. The Beads have run into a new problem, but only with certain tires. The Metzlers are the worst of all. The problem comes from the lubrication they use to keep the rubber from sticking to the molds during production. On the outside of the tire the lube is a hazard to riders making the tires slick. On the inside of the tire the lube balls up on the beads and causes them to either clump together or semi-permanently adhere to the tire. Either way, it screws with the effectiveness of the beads. I

Good information for folks running this brand/type of tires. I'm running tubes in the KLR, and always dust them before putting into the tire. This helps the tube/tire relationship upon intiial inflation. The Michelin Airstop Ultra Heavy Duty tubes are the only way to fly if one is going to do any adventure touring. It's just that they're a sob to get in and out on the road. Thankfully, if you've done a correct installation, that's never likely to happen with these. Can understand track guys not using this method, given the temps from laying over and constant cornering/braking. The more information, the better your choice. Still....@ $12.95, it's worth seeing if this works on your application.

Well darn it all. I wish I'd've waited a few days and read the rest of the posts. I've put in an order and am currently riding on a Mezler back tire. Grizzly

On the website for the beads, they say that they don't recommend there beads in motorcycle racing tires or regular car tires. Concerning the racing tires, the problem is the rubber is to soft just as was mentioned on here. So the beads will stick. I'd be interested to know if the powder'd work in such a case. However, if these Metzlers are filled with goup as was suggested, then I can't see powder doing any more than adding to the clump. Grizzly

I put them in the Wee Strom tires at the last change and they seem to be working fine (ME 880's). I just ordered another set for the FJR (Michellin Pilot Road 2's), we'll see how they work at super sonic speeds.

Mine are here. I'll get them installed tomorrow since I ran out of stuff to do in the greenhouse. That extra 90mpg are gonna be great! http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png