• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Twin Falls Park, Port Wing, WI

!!!MANIC

Big Wheel
I really like Twin Falls Park.  As you head east along the south shore of Lake Superior, it is just before town on the right.  This much I remembered.  The fair and lovely Vanessa was behind me on her KZ400, and I was going to show her the nice place.  Even so, it kind of snuck up on me, and I needed to slow down harder than I wanted to, to make the right.  But Vanessa was back there somewhere, so I slowed down less, and took a line to use the whole driveway.  Vanessa, ever cautious, got too little warning for a turn so just parked by the side of the road.

The front end washed out, and I plowed a deep furrow in the gravel as I low-sided.  I got up, turned off the bike, and peered at the scene.  This was polished pea gravel- ball bearings.  Under the dry surface, it was soaking wet.  It was up to eight inches deep in the first twelve feet from the road.  Even once I righted my bike, with V's kind assistance, I had to waddle it back out of there, the rear spinning like in mud, the front washing around.

Damage:  Broke the right antler, bent the right latch to retain the luggage.  Used a nylon strap from Aerostich to retain the luggage on the rest of the antler, put the broken-off bit in the tail box.  Was able to weld the antler back together and carefully unbend the latch with striking tools, metal scraps, and an arbor press.  All's well.

Sorry for the mishap and glad you are alright.  It is very close to being an accident as opposed to a drop.  We will have to see what the award guru thinks.  Were you down to less then 5mph?

Manic -
Glad to hear no damage to you.  The bike is not too bad - could have been worse.
How fast were you going when you went over?  Over 5 mph (parking lot speed) is a crash (per the FAQ).
Just glad you are ok.

That really sucks. Why would they put that much gravel in a turn like that? It's just asking for trouble. It looks like your the one that found it!  :mad: