• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

UT Day Ride - Wolf Creek - Ride Report w/Pics!! (see end of thread)

Utah Day Ride/Meet-n-Greet
Saturday, May 18th
Meet 7:45AM at Old Lowe's Park Lot (9000 S & 200 W, Sandy, UT)
Kick Stands Up at 8:00am (sharp)

We'll be traveling down I-15 before jumping onto HW89, picking up additional riders on our way to Torrey for lunch where we'll meet up with at least one other southern Utah rider at 12:30pm at...

Capitol Reef Inn & Cafe‎
360 West Main Street
Torrey, UT 84775
(435) 425-3271
capitolreefinn.com

After lunch we'll head to Loa and ride the loop around Fish Lake.  After that, it's the ride back home, where ever you may be from. Being from up north, I have put together the following route (Of course everyone is free to ride their own ride).  :great:

http://goo.gl/maps/SkqgX

Southern riders, we have at least one rider out of Cedar City attending this gathering.  If you would like to join him for the ride up, just let me know and I'll put you in touch with him.

If you plan on attending, I would appreciate it if you could notify me in one of the following formats...
Members: Register for the Calendar Event (no cost; just helps us plan things):  http://tinyurl.com/d93w6a6
Non-Members: Drop a post on this Forum thread or shoot me an email.

I look forward to meeting and riding with all who can attend!  :motonoises:

Mike Burkey
UT-AAD
801-918-1897
mburkey4@yahoo.com

Just so everyone who checks out this new thread knows....

So far it's myself, Stubby, TDCon, Scooter from Cedar City, maybe CBoothe (if he'll cave to peer pressure already....sheesh).  Hoping to have an old friend along as well (C10 rider).

Come on and join in.  Should be a blast!

Old Man on a Connie said:
You get Jack in? Theres some history.

Jack was on the email distribution list...so he's aware.  I really wish he could go, but I believe he's got a standing gig on Saturdays.  I'll be throwing out some weekend half-day rides throughout the summer and quite a few of those will be on Sunday, so we'll catch him a few times I'm sure.

Utah COGgers,

Just a small bump here to get it back on the radar.  This ride is one week away!  Friend and fellow COG Memeber "Lords" will be probably be joining us as well.  Maybe not for all day, but for part of it anyway.

Completely looking forward to it!!  :motonoises:

Mike

9AM at the chevron in SF don't forget right?
Mike if you really want to take a peek at the garage let me know ok?

Dave

Since the only Southern Utah rider to respond to this ride cannot make it, we are keeping the ride North rather than going all the way to Torrey.

New Route Map
http://goo.gl/maps/IUTmy

Meet at the old Lowes Parking lot at 9000 S & 200 W at 7:45am; KSU at 8am
Meeting other riders at 9:00am at Chevron on HW6 just off I-15
Lunch somewhere along the way
  ;D​

Questions?  Post something here or call me.

Mike Burkey
801-918-1897

Utah Day Ride Report

The original plan was to gather up as many Wasatch Valley riders as possible and ride to Torrey, UT, which is pretty much as dead center of the state as pavement will allow, and meet any riders from the central and southern parts of the state.  Have lunch, BS and ride around Fish Lake, before going our separate ways.

In the days and weeks leading up to the ride there was much communication via forum threads as well as emails, talking about routes, meeting times and such.  With about a week to go, our only southern rider indicated that he could no longer meet up, so we changed the route favoring a northern location.

Spring time in Utah is quite literally a crap shoot.  We have a saying here, "If you don't like the weather in Utah, give it 5 minutes."  This is especially true in spring.  Knowing this, we all exchange cell numbers and were keeping a close on eye on the forecast.  Within a couple of days of the ride, we knew that weather was going to play a factor; we just had no idea to what extent.

It's now 2:30am on ride day and I lay in bed listening to the downpour bouncing off the roof.  The only words I could muster..."oh brother".  It's now 6:30am, the iPhone alarm goes off and I get up and into a warm shower, it's chilly in the house and 46 degrees outside.  Out of the shower, on goes the base and middle layers.  It's not raining outside but everything is very wet and grey.  I grabbed a mocha, double checked the Google route and headed outside to the garage to check the bike and open the garage so I can feel the weather.  I can tell, there's no room for error today.  Wet and warm is one thing and cold and dry is too....cold and wet is another thing entirely. :-/  On goes the rain gear.

I head off at 7:20 for the Chevron to top off the tank and from there...the meeting place, Midvale.  Originally I was going to meet two riders here, but at the last minute my old friend bailed due to the weather forecast.  The only rider I was to meet now was John from Clearfield.  As I pulled into the parking lot, John was waiting there with his electrifying "Tangerine Dream" C10 (as it will be known from this day forward).  This thing is gorgeous and a must see!

After a short greeting, we hopped on the bikes and headed down I-15 to the HW6 turn off at Spanish Fork.  At the Chevron there we met Dave "Stubby" Turner and Terry "TDCon" DeFreese and had a spot a coffee and whatnot while it poured rain outside.  Things were not looking good.  Plan B was to go and ride somewhere for breakfast, have us a nice BS session and head home.  Apparently no one was giving in that easy as nobody mentioned anything about Plan B.  The rain eased up a bit and we headed up Spanish Fork Cayon and caught 89 southbound.  The rain slowly came to a stop, then we caught one or two shots of the sun between mostly cloudy skies.  Once we hit Fairview, the clouds had parted and the sun was shining.

We hit the head and geared back up to go over through Huntington Canyon (HW31) over to Huntington.  While in the head, a guy asked me if we had come over the top.  I told him we hadn't but that we were headed that way.  He said, "You sure you want to do that?  There's still slush on the roads up there and visibility is almost nothing at the summit."  How bad could it be I figured, the sun is sunshine here. Onward!!!  As we approached the top, the clouds were closing in around us, the roads were wet and there were car tire trails that had outlined the remaining slush on the road that we carefully navigated around.  As we got to the top, I looked down at the "Outside" temp, as opposed to the inside one, and noticed it was 30 degrees. I pulled over into a turnout lane and we gathered back together and snapped some photos.  As we made our way back down the other side towards Huntington, the clouds disappeared and it warmed back up.

From Huntington we made our way to Price where we gassed up and headed for the HW191 turn off.  This takes you through Indian Canyon which a great swooper of a road that will lull your @55 to sleep if you’re not careful.  It was true, as Terry said, this  canyon road cradles and rocks you back and forth from one end to the other....all the way to Duchesne (pronounced Doo-Shane) or  as I call it Doo-Chez-Knee.  Once we collected in Doo-Chez-Knee, we headed west on 40 passed, and over, Starvation reservoir, jumped on 208 taking the shortcut to Tabiona and west again on 35 through Hanna and over Wolf Creek Pass.  As we hit the base of the climb, I could see the clouds were dark and heavy ahead of us.  The summit sits at over 9500ft and I knew we could be in for a bit more weather.  Little did I know. 

As we hit about 7,500ft it started to snow.  At about 8,000ft we pulled over for pics.  Once again, 30 degrees.  At 9,500ft it was snowing about 3-4 times that shown in the pics and on the way down the other side, we were wiping the accumulating slush from our visor just to try and make out the turns in the road.  If conditions were only slightly worse than they were, I would have been seriously concerned.  As it was, things eventually cleared out on the way down.

On dry pavement again and with partly cloudy skies we flew through Woodland and Francis and around the south side of Jordanelle State Park and Reservoir to Heber.  At this point, it's 2:30pm and Terry has to exit the scene as he has another ride planned for that afternoon.  We say our goodbyes and Dave, John and I head into Don Pedro’s for some Mexican food.  After lunch, we head out HW189 passed Deer Creek Reservoir and through Provo Canyon back to the west side of the Wasatch where each of us make our way home. All in all my odo reported 360 miles, John's would have been closer to or just over 400.

I'd like to thank John, Terry and Dave for having the cajones to head out on this ride today.  It was my pleasure to meet, chat and ride with each of you.  It was more than a ride, it was an ADVENTURE!  I cannot wait to do it again!!  John, if I ever paint my C14, I’m going with “Tangerine Dream”.    ;D

Check out the pics<a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/111609969310090886678/COGUtahDayRideMay2013?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKH69PHZm9q3KQ&feat=directlink"><b> HERE.</b></a>

Very nice ride report Mike.

Mike, Dave, and John, I enjoyed the adventure and the company.  I am sure that we will meet up for more adventures in the future and I look forward to it.  I will always remember this one though.  I am glad that we all had enough desire to make it happen despite the rain and snow.

Mike I now see that your tag line is not just something that you throw on the end of your posts.
"Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - Hunter S. Thompson
It aptly describes the fun that you have when you attack a beautiful Utah canyon (or three).

Dave was right on your tail the whole way.  (I wonder if you could shake him?)

The Connie is an incredible machine from looks to performance to comfort... I'm in love.

What a blast!!

Hey Terry, Dave and John, you guys feel free to add to this report anything that I may have forgotten or your own personal perspective on things.  When I think back, my ADD kicks in and it's nothing but a whirlwind of experience, from one end to the other, swirling in my old noggin'.  It's all a can do to corral a few of them and get 'em stuck on paper, electronic or otherwise. 

Terry, you have to remember, historically (and to date) I'm still a bullet bike guy and ride the Connie like one (for the most part).  Luckily for me, it responds accordingly.  It is an awesome beast of a bike!!!  Love mine just as much!

Can't wait until we can ride together again, especially the RRR coming up.  Should be a hoot!!!!

:beerchug:

Great report and Kudo's to you guy's that made it happen! Ya'll now have a campfire story for years to come. :beerchug:

Mike it was a fun and adventures day for sure! Terry I think Mike was playing with me in Huntington canyon letting me stay with him cause when we left Hanna he put a corner or two on me and all I could do was try and keep him in sight!

I will learn some lines from him going to RRR for sure. Great time guys hope we get some more in and if I get more time this week I will post a few pics here.

Dave

Very nice write up, sounds like a crazy time!  Snow?  Me? No thanks!  Looks like you guys had a blast with it though.

I'm hoping to hit up the southern area (Zion, Bryce, etc.) sometime toward the middle of next month...  LOVE the scenic beauty of Utah!

Great report and photos :great:  The snow photos and descriptions where "chilling"  :truce:...reminds me of why we live in the desert and an "air jacket" is a 3 season jacket.

Bert

MikeB said:
BertL said:
...reminds me of why we live in the desert and an "air jacket" is a 3 season jacket.

Bert

Brag, brag, brag...........  ;D
Won't be bragging come August when it's 118 and nights drop to a balmy 95 degrees  :-[ Those photos will look very enticing :wee_hee:

A little late but as promised a few more pics

1 At the top of pass #1 ya that's the guy who set this whole thing up
DSCN1078-L.jpg

2. one more of the fun at the top
DSCN1075-L.jpg

3. 15 or so miles down the canyon
DSCN1092-L.jpg

4. A pic of a guy taking a pic of a bike....LOL...
DSCN1089-L.jpg

5. A sucker hole of blue sky before we head up the last pass
DSCN1094-L.jpg

6. Close to the top of Wolf Creek it was much worse at the top but nobody wanted to stop and take a pic...LOL...
DSCN1100-L.jpg

All in all just a spring day here