• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

V-Strom 1000

telejojo

Bicycle
I'e always liked the V-strom and they have 0% interest until may31 has anybody had one and how do they compare to the C-14?

I have one. I don't have a C14, although I have ridden one. They are not real comparable bikes. The C14 is smooth smooth smooth power. The big strom is rougher, more visceral torque. I love that about it. Run it up about 5K and then crack it WOT and the front end will come up in 1st. If you want to play with drive ratios, it's easy to swap sprockets up or down. They come really tall, so I added 2 teeth to the rear cause top gear was almost useless until you are rolling 75-80.

The seating on my strom is very comfortable, but the weather protection is marginal. I greatly prefer it for hot weather, and my connie C10 for cool weather.

They are similar to the original connie in a cost per grin kinda way. Budget friendly bikes that perform very nicely.

One thing that I could never understand about the DL1000. No ABS option (at least they still didn't the last I knew). But the DL650 has had the option. That's one pretty big safety feature in my book.
  Other big things are shaft drive vs. chain. weather protection. smoothness. height. luggage (must be added to the Strom) and a few others. As pointed out they really are not that comparable. The DL is a great bike. But a totally different style bike.

No comparison. I rode my 06 DL1000 for 46,000 miles of mostly fun. The C14 is a better bike, hands down, for longer rides, highways, touring. The Strom was a hoot for everything else.

I'd like to pick up a WR250 at some point for commuting and running around the fire trails. The Strom didn't like sandy fire trails or mud.

I never knew anyone that owned one that did not like it. They are great bikes. I have rode a 03 my friend Rock owns. It sit tall and runs down the road nice in overdrive. The tank is smaller than the C-10 but he gets in the low 50's on the road. I would not dismiss the bike if you are looking to get one. They are a nice ride.

I have owned 3 stroms, an 06 1000 (wrecked), an 08 1000, then went to the 09 wee (650).  I loved them, but the 1000's have a 3000 rpm fuel injection hickup that suzuki would not fix. it bugged me enough that I bought the 650. I just wanted more of a long listance machine, so I went to the C-14 about a month ago. although I did like the Strom's I will never look back. To make a Vstrom comfy you have to do a fair bit of Farkling like sargent seat, different shield, an definatly some suspension work. The alternator output is pretty low too depending on what you want to power. I am a Gerbings lover, and the strom had a tough time. It is very durable/bullet proof. Well enjoy what ever choice you make, and ride the s--t out of it.

Thanks for the input I still have'nt decided the 0% is hard to turn down you don't see that very often.I have 4 bikes 08 C-14 09 KLR 09WR450 KTM 300EXC SO I need another bike like a hole in the head but can you have too many?

I have eight and that is too many.  I think six or less is the magic number.  Any more and you are spending too much time on maintenance and not enough riding :mad:.

SmokinRZ said:
I have eight and that is too many.  I think six or less is the magic number.  Any more and you are spending too much time on maintenance and not enough riding :mad:.

I found that with just three.  :))

A buddy of mine has had his eys on the V-Strom 1000 ever since they came out with that 0% deal. He used to ride a Versys but he sold it. He's been making do splitting his time between his wife's Honda 919 and his Suzuki Supermoto 400.

Last weekend he test-rode the 1000.

Now he's looking for a good deal on a Wee.

The ergos were totally wrong for him. And he's a tall guy, so the high seat height wasn't a big concern.

Like they say -- ride it before you buy it.