• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Visiting first Wrench Session

bajakirch

Crotch Rocket
I'm planning to visit my first wrenching session in a couple of weeks. I just got the bike and the PO advised me that it's about ready for a valve adjustment, so that's my goal for this session. Maybe an oil change too, if time allows.

I'm coming off a bike that had hydralically adjusted valves, so this will be my first valve adjustment ever.

One challenge is that the sessions is about 2 hours from my home, and I'll be riding the bike there. I'm told that it's not uncommon for things to break in the course of the project (older bikes being what they are). I'd like to be as prepared as possible. Can anyone suggest some parts I might want to bring with me to help prevent any roadblocks?

You'll have to cool that motor before doing the valves. You can do it, it will take awhile though, get some fans. Valve cover gasket, maybe some plug well gaskets, spark plugs, air filter. Murph sells a lot of things you may need. If you can, synch the carbs after doing the valves.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/

Have you checked with the guys hosting the wrench session if a valve adjust is something they can fit in? 

Sorry, C10.

Yes, I've been in touch with the host and it sounds like they're up for it. I plan to get there a couple of hours before the start to hopefully cool things down. I'm told fans are also available.

I've never done any carb work before, so that may have to wait for the next wrenching session.

There are some good links here on the forum with steps to doing the valve check, so look through those carefully.  I didn't have any parts problems when I did mine the first time.  The valve cover gasket is re-usable unless it's torn up or bad for some reason.  There are small gaskets for each of the spark plug holes as well which are also rubber (IIRC).  Be sure you don't lose any of them buggers!  Be sure you have the right gauges to check something that thin.  I had to go buy some new ones that had the 007 and 009 sizes.  my other ones were all thicker....more for spark plug gaps.

When I did mine the first time, I removed the engine side cover so I could clearly and easily see the marks to get lined up.  If there are others there that have done it before, then they can probably help with that without taking the side cover off.  If you go that route, you'll want something to seal that side back up.  I always use form-a-gasket on my bikes.

I find that if I have something on hand "just in case", most likely, I won't need it, its always nice though to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Twenty-some bucks is well spent to keep the gasket Gods at bay, and you won't know it till you take it off. Like surprises? I don't. Theres a good chance that whoever is hosting or attending the session may well have access to a carb synch, ask. Its easy, takes all of 5 minutes and you are already there with everything torn down, try to do it.