• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Voiding warranty?

timbo

Moped
My new Muzzy full exhaust is coming in this week and will be doing a ECU re-flash. Will this void my warranty?

Only if they can prove that the changes caused the problem that your claiming for the warranty repair. If it's a major thing, put the OEM system back on first before taking it into the shop. That's why I always keep the OEM parts. You never know when you might want to return the bike to stock. It also tends to make it easier to sell. Most people look for stock bikes over modified.

Thanks Captain! Could I find a stock ecu to swap out my re-flashed ecu, or does the ki pass tied into the ecu?

You can't simply swap ECUs, as it is "registered" together with the KiPass ECU and steering lock. In order to change it, you'd need a special programming tool from Kawasaki to re-register it.

If Guhl Motors is reflashing it, they can reflash it back to stock. And as far as I know, the dealers don't have any way to tell if an ECU has been reflashed.

The other thing to keep in mind, is that if you have a warranty claim for a bad brake rotor, it's not like the dealer is going to deny your claim because you changed the horn to an aftermarket unit. There normally needs to be some relationship between the failure and something that the owner did to cause it before it will be questioned.

Not unless the cruise DIRECTLY causes an issue,  and even then it only would void the warranty for the part it affected...

For example, if you install a cruise and it snaps the throttle cable cause the pull chain wraps against the opening cable that would not be covered, but if you blew a transmission the cruise cannot void that warranty cause it doesn't directly affect that)