• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Voyager XII

Tinsailor

Anybody ever fooled around with one of the Voyager XII's? I've been doing a little study on them and wanted to know if there are still parts available and how they are as far as working on them. They seem to be fairly simple and low tech "I like that". I'd like something that's a little better for two up riding and don't want to get rid of my C-10 "I like it too" and can't spend $20000 and up on a big bike. I'm certainly not a type of person that needs or wants the fastest,newest most high tech thing that comes down the pipe, just a bike that does what it's supposed to do and I can fix when somthing breaks. Besides that, they're a little different and you just don't see alot of them anymore.

I have one, it's our 2 up bike. It's my second one, and I've worked on several others. I can probably answer any Q's you have, pm me with a phone # and I'll give you a call - Steve

I had one for several years in addition to the C10.  Sold it to my brother-in-law a couple years ago.

SISF has torn his down into pieces I think and can answer any question you can think of.

I can chime in with what I felt about how the bike worked.  We had the 99.  The 98's and 99's had a dark forest green and black color combo which IMO was the best looking Voyager they made.

Great 2 up for luxo-touring.  Have to do some suspension stuff to it IMO so that its more tolerable in the twisties and overall handling.  Stock brakes are so-so.  Engine is  s m o o t h - no handle bar vibes.

We put a Corbin seat on it which was massive.  You're not spooned together like on a lot of bikes.  I would have to reach back to touch my wife's knee to make sure she was still back there.  Lots of room on the bike for two.  I added trunk extenders which moved the trunk and fixed passenger backrest back another 3".

Also added highway pegs to the engine guards for me, and a separate set of floorboards that were higher up to make things more comfy for my wife.  Had to add Baker Air Wings as that big 'ole fairing keeps things pretty hot on an 80 degree + day.

We took several several thousand mile trips on it with no issues.

As to working on them, the fairing is a jigsaw puzzle of many pieces and not nearly as easy to take on and off like a C10.  Then there are the air ducts that have to line up inside the fairing - requires Houdini's touch to get just right.

Carbs are buried way down there.  Have to remove a bunch of stuff to get at them.

Thankfully, no valve adjustments needed - hydraulic lifters.  Thankfully because you'ld have to remove a lot of stuff to get at them. 

Changing rear tire requires taking off saddle bags (and saddle bag brackets IIRC) and the rear 2 piece fender and in our case, the trailer receiver hitch.

Stasch said:
As to working on them, the fairing is a jigsaw puzzle of many pieces and not nearly as easy to take on and off like a C10.  Then there are the air ducts that have to line up inside the fairing - requires Houdini's touch to get just right.

Carbs are buried way down there.  Have to remove a bunch of stuff to get at them.

Thankfully, no valve adjustments needed - hydraulic lifters.  Thankfully because you'ld have to remove a lot of stuff to get at them. 

Changing rear tire requires taking off saddle bags (and saddle bag brackets IIRC) and the rear 2 piece fender and in our case, the trailer receiver hitch.

right on all counts, except that to get to the valves you need to drop the engine  :truce: Steve

Do they share any common parts with the C-10 like the final drive or brakes and tires or stuff like that.

Tinsailor said:
Do they share any common parts with the C-10 like the final drive or brakes and tires or stuff like that.

Steve is a better authority on this but to my knowledge, there are no common parts at all. The C-10 is Ninja based in it's design roots. The Voyager XII never heard of a "Ninja".

Dan

Do they share any common parts with the C-10 like the final drive or brakes and tires or stuff like that

I know first hand that they use the same oil filter, headlight bulbs and speedo cable but that's about it.

Voyager stock tire sizes:
Front - 130/90-16
Rear - 150/90-15

C10 stock tire sized:
Front - 120/70 - 18
Rear - 150/80 - 16

Final drive unit is not the same, although the XII's final drive GEAR in the bevel case is what SISF uses for the 7th gear conversion on the C10's.

The rear caliper is the same for all years of the C10 and Voyager XII.  The early C10 had the same front calipers as well.

The front forks are pretty close, and the final drive may also acually swap - the voyager final has a stud for the shock, but the gearing and the drive spines are the same. Steve

They were not sold here, so there are none in Australia.  :'(  Which is a shame 'cos I'd like one.

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
The front forks are pretty close, and the final drive may also acually swap - the voyager final has a stud for the shock, but the gearing and the drive spines are the same. Steve

The forks use the same emulators as the C10.

Stasch said:
Do they share any common parts with the C-10 like the final drive or brakes and tires or stuff like that

I know first hand that they use the same oil filter, headlight bulbs and speedo cable but that's about it.

Voyager stock tire sizes:
Front - 130/90-16
Rear - 150/90-15

C10 stock tire sized:
Front - 120/70 - 18
Rear - 150/80 - 16

Final drive unit is not the same, although the XII's final drive GEAR in the bevel case is what SISF uses for the 7th gear conversion on the C10's.

Well duh, you would think I would know that having the Voyager XII on my qualifed list for the SPOOFAK.

Dan

I've been looking at one to add to the stable as the two-up, non-sport-touring ride, but have not been able to find a forum where I can get any decent information on the bike.  The AVA wants $35.00 to get into the forums where you might actually be able to get information on the bikes, and I'm not willing to do that until after I make my purchase decision.

Are there other Voyager specific or Voyager centric forums around where a prospective owner can acquire information on these bikes?

jdg

Well I recon I bought one yesterday from the man regarded as the Voyager Guru over in west Tennessee. Went over and rode some of them and have to say that I was impressed with them, seems to be just what I was looking for in a two up bike, Very comfortable in ergos with adjustable handlebars, great weather protection and winshield, lots of room, handled well, smooth and fairly quiet and very affordable, motors not anything like a C-14 but enough for me, can't slam it to the ground like I can my C-10 but good enough for two up riding, wasn't planning on knee dragin with it anyway. A little like a C-10 in the way it's built and I think I can work on it and can get all the tech info I should need. Owner wanted to do a few things to it to really make it right and will probably pick it up after New Years. Lookin foward to it.

Well I was able to pick up the new-old Voyager Sunday and get it home. Almost 200 miles and I'll have to say I believe it's going to be a keeper, just what I was looking for. Nice and smooth and rode well with cruise control even. This is pretty up scale for someone like me.

Do you mind sharing who this other Guru is other than "SUNNY...one so true..." Steve? Sorry...I broke out into a song ...it just seemed so right at the time... UNTIL I realized where it was going  :)

Pastor Tyler

jtgretz -
Are there other Voyager specific or Voyager centric forums around where a prospective owner can acquire information on these bikes?

- American Voyager Assoc. - http://www.amervoyassoc.org/ - an active forum - not as many members as the Concours forums.

- VoyForums - http://www.voy.com/ - source for FAQ's and compilation of links to Voyager info.

MSRev - I'ld bet from the location and 'guru' status that he's talking about Carl Leo.

Tinsailer - If you don't mind me asking, what year did you get, what farkles were included, what was mileage and what did you pay for it?

Reason I ask is my brother in law has my previous '99 Voyager with 30,xxx miles - in great shape - and is wants to sell it.  Trying to get an idea of a price for him to start at.

Yep, Carls the one I got this one from and sent a PM on the rest of it. Wish the weather would clear up a little so I can get it out for awhile. But been spending alot of time on it tightening up all the little things and checking it out, you know, like taking things off and scratching you're head and saying things like"wonder what this here does" But it still runs so all is good......TC