• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What have your done to your C14 today

COGnosticator

I have seen this thread on other bike forums like the BMW GS and FJR and these threads always cost me money  :D by seeing what other people have done to their bike.  I didn't see one for the C14 so I thought I would start it.  ;D

Today I installed the G2 throttle tamer to my 2013, fairly straight forward and easy job, then I put the throttlemeister on (thanks Reid) took a little adjustment to make it work right, but now I am ready to go, well after I get a new LED headlight for the one I mucked up  :mad:

So, what have you done to your C14 today.  :great:

Pulled the plastic off to get ready for a coolant flush and air filter change, just waiting for the parts guy to call and let me know the copper drain gasket and air filter have come in.  Went by the Honda dealership and picked up some Honda Type 2.  Lubed the clutch and brake levers, side stand, and shift lever pivot.

Pulled the ECU and sent it back to Steve for another upgraded flash :great: . Hope to have it back by Friday.

Went for a ride this AM, then got a Crampbuster 'cuz I have problems with my hands going numb  :??:

Have had the new C-14 for about 3 weeks now.
Changed out the oil/filter and final drive fluid at 300 mi.
Added Murphs 2" risers, fenda extenda, Phils rack, Bestem top box and passenger lower pegs.

Now for a good wash & wax following last Saturdays NC RTE w/rain showers.

Rode into Savannah this morning to get some keys made for the bike and check out the EVO flash for intown performance.  Very docile and easy to manage at slow speeds.  Other than two asshats wanting my lane it was a nice smooth ride.

I bought some key blanks and there is an old time locksmith in downtown Savannah who made the keys for $2 each, the keys cost me $2.00 each shipped to me.  I should have taken pictures of this place, he must have a million keys hanging down from his wooden low ceiling.

Last weekend went for a ride from San Bernardino through Palm Springs (talk about hot) up through the back way to and through Idlewild and back down into Banning into the heat again. Nice desert, mountain, desert trip for a day.

I put a K/N air filter in.

Though their instructions about a 'bead of sealant' around the edges of the filters were kind of vague.  I smeared some on there and stuffed it in.  Seems like I did it right.

Buttoned it all back up.  I had everything torn off on the right/left panels. Top and bottom to clean out some MONTANA ASPHALT.  Finally got that all done.  I bled the brakes last week.  I'll go test ride it later tonight when the temps back off a bit.

Just hit the 10K on the odometer.

My Sargent modular seat was delivered today.  Installed and went for a 110 mile ride.  So far so good.  The seat is a little harder and flatter than the stocker.  More comfortable and doesn't push you forward, smashing the family jewel's.

Lurch71 said:
My Sargent modular seat was delivered today.  Installed and went for a 110 mile ride.  So far so good.  The seat is a little harder and flatter than the stocker.  More comfortable and doesn't push you forward, smashing the family jewel's.

The best quality a seat can have is to take pressure off the center of your ass and provide support on the bigger portion of the backs of your legs.

I would go numb within an hour on the stock seat.  Now, never.

I installed the front fender extender I got from Blue One on this forum.  Very nicely made and extra long to better protect the raidator.

I also washed and waxed the bike  :-\  LOL, yep I did it twice today, my first time and my last time  :))  I just bought the bike 3 weeks ago, so she was due for her initial wash and wax.  I used RejeX wax I have been using for a while.  It states that nothing sticks but the shine  :rotflmao:  and it does a great job and slicker than owl s*** 

Black Lightening looks pretty good all cleaned up

165880010.xiQSAvfE.jpg

Changed oil with Bel-ray Synthetic for the first time and took it for a 170mile spin with my son.  Shifts nice, but Maxima shifts just as good and is cheaper.  Steve's flash never ceases to amaze...  It makes this bike so good there's nothing out there I can find to replace it  :))

Went for a nice long weekend ride after doing a number of maintenance upkeep...in no particular order, replaced with a new set of Pirelli Angel GT A spec tires, replaced a new front set of brake pads which were dangerously low (yea I need to check these more often) and replaced the air filter with a K/N.

It's so nice to have new rubber but also brakes working properly again! I can tell you at first I thought it was warped rotors  but once I took out the old pads, one side was beyond the wear limit. Now that I've replaced it with a new set, on this weekend's long riding the front reservoir was leaking a bit. Obviously the summer and motorcycle heat had some effect now that I pushed the pistons back a bit, on the return trip things were all settled in and tires were sticking in the curves. Not that it matters with Steve's flash able to get me through the twisty curves around Coeur d'Alene lake, but the punchiness when needed was unbelievable to pass traffic. More miles to come on this awesome K machinery!

Looks like Mama Kaw didn't eliminate the problem of the bags flying off while traveling so i pinned mine today just to be sure.

I also mounted a ram ball on the left clutch gear so I can mount my GPS.  I am gettting ready for the rally at Ironhorse this weekend  :great:

Oil change, new Pirelli GT's. New GPX routes downloaded to the Garmin. Hotels booked and the C14 will sit till Sept 8th and off I go through WA/ID/OR/MT/WY on a 3100 mile 5 days ride. I fully expect the front GT to be toast when I return.

Oh and I hope to have my new Cee Bailey Mini mini Euro Sport installed.

C14 will get a washed this weekend just for yucks. :beerchug:

Hooked up the GPS today, using the acc wires on the front left for now.  I am waiting on some bars from ProkekD that extend from the handle bars so you can mount ram mounts for a 7/8 bar.  In the meantime I used a ram mount that goes where the clutch lever mount is.

Ready to rock n roll to the beat the heat rally Thursday.  Radar detector is mounted on the right side

COGnosticator:  how do you like that "shorty shield"?  Is you head fully in the non-turbulent air?  Might be a good choice for the triple digit heat I have in Texas!

COGnosticator said:
I installed the front fender extender I got from Blue One on this forum.  Very nicely made and extra long to better protect the raidator.

I also washed and waxed the bike  :-\  LOL, yep I did it twice today, my first time and my last time  :))  I just bought the bike 3 weeks ago, so she was due for her initial wash and wax.  I used RejeX wax I have been using for a while.  It states that nothing sticks but the shine  :rotflmao:  and it does a great job and slicker than owl s*** 

165880010.xiQSAvfE.jpg

sfsokc said:
COGnosticator:  how do you like that "shorty shield"?  Is you head fully in the non-turbulent air?  Might be a good choice for the triple digit heat I have in Texas!

COGnosticator said:

165880010.xiQSAvfE.jpg

It works great, my whole head is in still smooth air, no turbulance buffetting or anything negative to me.  Every bike I get I cut the windshield down to nothing because I like air, hell I need air, with COPD.  I almost suffocate behind a tall shield.  I leave it that way summer or winter, but I do have heated gear.  The bike came with I think the stock shield with an adjustable spoiler on top and I may just use that during the winter months.  The screen on there now is one I had with my '09 that I kept.

I had fun this afternoon  :-[  I got these in today http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_39_46&products_id=162  and decided to install them to mount my GPS and radar detector, since I am leaving for the COG beat the heat rally tomorrow.  Who said don't muck with your bike the night before a ride  ;)

To install them you have to take out the bolt that holds the handle bars on. The one on the clutch side must have been on at 100 ft pounds and and as I was unscrewing it the clutch master cylinder spun until it was upside down, I went to grab it and of course I pulled in the clutch lever just grabbing in a hurry and of course I got air in the line and I had to bleed the clutch  Anyway, I got it bled and the gps and detector mounted and I am ready to rock n roll tomorrow.

Peeled off the Left Side Tupperware (i can do it quick now!) to replace a broken power-lead to my radar detector.
It's wired into Fuze block mounted on the foam heat shield just behind the stowage compartment.

Decided that while I'm in there, I needed to inspect/clean the Resusable K+N style Air Filter that I intalled last year.
At about 5k miles, it was barely even dirty, but I cleaned it out anyway.

Anybody ELSE find accessing the air filter portal is a H U G E  PITA???  :-[
Particularly after installing a ROSTRA??

I knew this was going to not be fun, but it was hard to avoid.  It was also not easy to extract the after market filter with rubber surrounds from the airbox housing.  Yikes.

Plan to button it up after the filter dries and gets re-oiled.

Safe Riding!

gr

Moved it over in the garage to get the boat out.  Otherwise, it is used regularly from April to November for commuting to work.    :popcorn:

(Last few days...)

Installed AST peg lowering brackets, plugged the rear tire, rode it to the Beat The Heat Rally & back (highly recommended next year).

Washed it, waxed it, filled it up with gas, put her on the tender to wait for me for next time.

Wasn't today but a couple of days ago replaced a 7 year old battery. The starter motor turns over much faster now for some reason.

165949829.lxoltKRC.jpg

Installed the Ohlins this afternoon. A couple of hour install but pretty straight forward, thanks to Fred Harmon for his pictorial install it made it easy to do.  Now to get out and try it out  :great:

Hi,
      Now you will be able to keep your filling's.... :eek:

In your molars, where they belong!! ;D

Attachments

• www_motojpg_ru-356.jpg
    www_motojpg_ru-356.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 257
Wash and wax, oil change today, leaving for the East Coast on Saturday. 10 day trip through Canada, New York, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine and back down to Pennsylvania!

And I rode it to work again.

Oil change and final drive change coming in a couple of weeks, maybe I'll treat her to a good wash...

Bought two sets of PR4-GT's for the bikes.

'12 gets its first non-OEM set. '08 gets its TPMS sensors removed and shipped to Fred for battery R&R after the '12 is done, then I'll have its tires mounted upon the sensors being returned.

The only other thing I'm planning for the C14s this year is to get one of the new Givi V46L trunks plus accessory backrest pad and luggage rack then mount it up.

Installed my Cee Bailey Mini Euro in a reduced size (custom order) today. Its 2 inches less tall and a bit wider at the mid-point so I should get a good blast of air for the summer rides. I have the original Mini Euro.

I am 5 foot 7 and wanted clean air to hit my helmet, the original ME had the air hit just about at chin level and a bit of buffeting and noise.  in the fully up position was never an issue, just fully in the down position.

test ride tomorrow!

gpd323 said:
Installed my Cee Bailey Mini Euro in a reduced size (custom order) today. Its 2 inches less tall and a bit wider at the mid-point so I should get a good blast of air for the summer rides. I have the original Mini Euro.

I am 5 foot 7 and wanted clean air to hit my helmet, the original ME had the air hit just about at chin level and a bit of buffeting and noise.  in the fully up position was never an issue, just fully in the down position.

test ride tomorrow!

Just cut your windshield down to nothing like I did, a lot of good air that way

Today I rode it in to work. Bought my 2016 13 days ago and have been able to already do the 600 mile service and now have 1432 miles on it, installed the ThrottleMiester, snake skin tank protectors/knee grips, decided it is getting new tires very very soon and received the Giv 47 with LED kit and Cee Bailey new wind screen yet to be mounted.
Have a good friend with a 2012 and cant agree more that this is one of the best sport tour bikes I have ever owned.

I have the MRA Vario on mine. Can't say e'nuff about the shield.
Gives me the capability of adjusting the air any way I want.

I didn't actually do anything on my C-14 today, but I made a copy of the {C-14} Vario for my C-10.
Does that count?

Ride safe, Ted

Well, this is a prep week for the RWTW rally so this is what I've been doing this week. I'll be doing about 7,200 miles on this trip total so here goes,

1) Change engine oil/filter and differential fluid.

2) New tires.

3) New brake pads front and rear and flushed/bleed brake/clutch fluid.

4) Removed ECU and sent to Shoodabeen.

5) Installed side case retaining clips.

6) Replaced air filter.

7) Set appointment with Traxxion Dynamics for Sept. 6th.

That's it! :great:

I sold it. With all the Farkles. To a fellow COGster. A bit sad to see Connie go. 52,000 miles and every mile was a smile. I didn't try to recover the $$$ I invested. I passed on the awesomeness to a very lucky buyer. I also sold my 2005 C10. Same thing. A stunned purchaser rides away in disbelief. Too good to be true? Not this time!

So I am currently without a ride. I am shopping for a K1200LT for a 2 UP long distance touring replacement. I will always be a COGster and I know I will miss the horsepower of the C14. But I enjoy this bunch and have learned a lot from the sage advice and the timely input.  But comfort wins out for now.

I'll be AROUND...

More than one thing during Saturday:

*** D O N E ***

Power Distribution Module - PDM60

Mounts:
Take down light bracket (over the mirror mount)
PCA (under the mirror mount)
Shelf
Three 1" RAM ball to the shelf
1" RAM mount bracket on the right handlebar with a RAM X-grip for phone

Auxiliary lights:
Denali Dx (spot) dual intensity to mounts over the mirror
Denali D4  (flod) to the mounts under the mirror

Horn:
Denali Soundbomb split horn (120 dB)

GPS:
Garmin Zumo 395LM hard wired

Puppy grips

Fixed the mount of the Garmin Nuvi 57LM

*** T O  D O ***

ADVMonster 30 to the front fender
Rear lights (don't know what kind but would like the once that flash 3 or 4 times)
Auxiliary fuel cell
Add the lights to the Givi trunk (current rack does not allow installation, don't want to go back to the Givi rack so maybe drill a hole and keep it waterproof?)
Russel Day Long seat (heated), the thing is this is a 2up seat and will not work with the fuel cell in the passenger seat location. Current seat on the bike is a 2 piece Corbin (not heated) that would work for the fuel cell

Installed Pazzo shorty clutch & brake levers, a ProjektD radiator guard, and Throttlemeiser throttle lock.

Last Sunday I installed T-Rex engine guards, luggage guards and front axle sliders. :)

Just put on a Michelin Pilot4 GT ordered a Murphs bearing shifter kit.
What Im finding as is as I add little tweaks it just gets better and better.
The Evo flash was the best improvement to date but add in the throttle tamer and bearing shifter among other small tweaks it all adds up to large changes.
  Love the Pilot 4 !!

Dressed the boogered-up area of my left sub-frame bracket then painted it.

For anyone needing to touch up or repaint frame parts on these bikes, VHT's Engine Metallic SP405 (Black Pearl) is almost an identical match. ("Almost" as the OEM paint is a tiny bit flatter; less metallic.)

Prep, apply a few coats in 10min intervals...let sit for 2-3h then bake for 1h in a 200 degree F oven. My hot-rod buddy/gal pal who stopped over as I was finishing up the baking said she couldn't tell the finishes apart.

48244.jpg

Installed Kaoko throttle lock. I'll have to ride some to give it a more meaningful report but I am a little concerned that it seems to take more degrees of movement for full lock to full unlock than I hoped. What that may mean is that I will have to first rotate the Kaoko as I twist the throttle and then, reach back over and rotate the Kaoko a bit more to really get it to hold. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but that's my initial finding. BTW, the instructions were not clear but I did use BOTH thrust washers (a thin, flat one and the other one they described as "spigoted" that actually engages the throttle tube).

Installed a lightly used Corbin seat (thanks jumbo_sf), one of Phil's outstanding luggage racks, a Givi V47NNT topcase, and TechSpec tank grips. :motonoises:

Goldenhornplayer said:
Installed Kaoko throttle lock. I'll have to ride some to give it a more meaningful report but I am a little concerned that it seems to take more degrees of movement for full lock to full unlock than I hoped. What that may mean is that I will have to first rotate the Kaoko as I twist the throttle and then, reach back over and rotate the Kaoko a bit more to really get it to hold. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but that's my initial finding. BTW, the instructions were not clear but I did use BOTH thrust washers (a thin, flat one and the other one they described as "spigoted" that actually engages the throttle tube).

Don't worry, that is the best lock money can buy! Had mine for over 35K and loving it!

Installed the Evitek LED headlights today, pretty simple job.  :great:

Got in my Bridgestone T30 EVO GT tires, took the stretch wrap off them and realized I ordered a 120-70-18 front tire  :mad:  :-[

Damnit, called Jake wilson, ordered the correct tire which I will have on Friday and they sent me a return lable free shipping back even though it was my screw up.  :beerchug:  To Jake Wilson, I told the woman they have excellent customer service, and she is filing the $50 rebate for me, and I had $18 of Jake cash from other orders, so when all is done, the tires will cost me $198  :))  for the set

I will install them this weekend after the ride to eat in Hazlehurst GA

COGnosticator said:
Skiee said:
Battery R&R and added Murphs dual horn setup. Much better!!!

Norm

How did you mount the horn?  Any pictures?  Thanks
Jerry, I just used the same mounts on the bike. I bought the harness for the Steble horns so it was much easier to connect everything.

Norm

Got my '12 back together over the weekend. Swapped antenna mounts so my antennas will clear the Givi V46NT I added to the existing Phil's rack.

New PR4GTs feel good.

Next on the list is wiring the trunk for a running/brakelight setup them plumbing the bike's wiring harness for the required voltages. Probably install the brakelight when I have the trunk apart for a luggage rack/passenger backrest addition.

Put a Shinko Verge 011 on the front over the week-end (rear was already installed). Handles pretty nicely. 

BTW cleaning the rotors thoroughly with brake cleaner made them feel much better. Might be a good regular maintenance to clean them at oil changes.

Last week-end installed some Kuryaken dually pegs in place of stockers.  The stock narrow pegs make my arches sore. I had to lengthen the shift lever but the brake side was fine.

Haven't installed yet, heck don't even have it yet. Purchased a Full Area P today. Now i'm going to have to sent my ECU back to Stave    AGAIN. :motonoises:

Got some PR 4 GT's put on a couple days ago. I went to a 55 series in the rear as well. So far I really like them.

Took my niece for her first real bike ride today, she'd only been on the back of a Ducati before for a few minutes. Perfect early Fall day in Rhode Island, temps in the low to mid 70s, hardly any traffic, and she turned out to be a great passenger. Kept still and in line with the bike, very pleasant conversations the whole time (thank-you Sena), and giggled like a schoolgirl when I got on the throttle.

Wound our way up through Scituate and Foster, stopped for lunch in Watch Hill, then went through Galilee, Point Judith, Narragansett, and Wickford before heading home.

This was my first time 2-up after Steve's Evolution flash was installed. I really appreciated the extra low down grunt when pulling away from uphill stops, and the less binary power delivery coming out of corners. We both used the Alpine MotoSafe earplugs that I received a couple of days ago, and they were very impressive. They cut the wind noise down to almost nothing, but our conversations were still crystal clear.

Overall a great day to be out and about on a C14  :great:

21191919_10210679031397846_1562354116197116951_n.jpg

...appreciated the subtle technical elegance of its design (IOW, few reported difficulties) after having to flat-bed one of my Valkyries home yesterday from BFE, Outer Nowhere...

This due to a bad diaphragm in its vacuum operated petcock. Which, coincidentally, I rebuilt about 2kmi ago.  :mad:

Fixed a flat (really a slow leak) on the rear tire.  Took me 2 weeks to finally locate it.  $8.00 patch kit, 30 minutes of work, and it's all good again.

Baggerjohn said:
...appreciated the subtle technical elegance of its design (IOW, few reported difficulties) after having to flat-bed one of my Valkyries home yesterday from BFE, Outer Nowhere...

This due to a bad diaphragm in its vacuum operated petcock. Which, coincidentally, I rebuilt about 2kmi ago.  :mad:

I'm assuming the diaphragm had a hole in it and was leaking gas out the vent hole?

If it was leaking gas, there is a temporary fix that would have gotten you home easily.

ie; Remove and plug the vacuum line.
      next,,, plug the diaphragm vent and vacuum port with face soap.
        Scrape a little e soap from a bar of face soap and add a little water to soften it. Plug th4e holes with the soap putty.
    The soap will stop the gas leak, AND GAS DOES NOT MELT SOAP.

Turn the petcock to prime, and ride home.  Works perfectly...

Ride safe, Ted

Oil and filter change

Final drive oil change

and a WASH!!!, I think the 3rd time since I bought her, 4 years ago...

Checked the air in the plugged tire (added 1.5#), filled up with gas. Ready to load for RWTW on Thursday am.

Hard wired my new Garmin Zumo 395L, installed new triple tee ram mount for the GPS, and cleaned up all the wiring below the handlebars.  :)

From there I sat down on my bike while up on the centered stand and dreamt of hitting up some scenic routes and twisties  :bedtime2: while wondering when my title and license plates are ever coming in from Alaska?  :mad:

Tomorrow will probably go ahead and wire in the new tail light and put my fender eliminator back on.  :))

connie_rider said:
I'm assuming the diaphragm had a hole in it and was leaking gas out the vent hole?
Nope - there's a line from one of the intake runners which applies vacuum to the petcock. Said diaphragm then moves and allows another rubber part (deeper inside the petcock body) to displace and flow fuel.

Except with a pinhole, no vacuum - and no flow.

One can convert the petcock to manual mode and I'm considering doing that to both of my Valkyries.

Installed Switchback Lighting from Gixerhp. Makes a real impression on other drivers versus the standard lighting. I now have running LED lights through my signal lights when the turn indicator is not in use. LED tail lights plus the turn indicator lights now light up as brake lights when the brake is engaged. The installation finished as night fell so my first run with them was on a divided highway in the dark. The new lights made it seem as if the bike was in a globe of light as we went down the road. Everything was plug and play. Thanks John!

I washed my fob in the wash machine.
I wrapped it up in my KLIM jacket so it woudn't get banged around.
It's very clean, now!

JDSCO said:
I washed my fob in the wash machine.
I wrapped it up in my KLIM jacket so it woudn't get banged around.
It's very clean, now!

Does it still work or are you letting it dry a day or two? Sounds like something I'd do. I washed a 32 Gb thumb drive a couple of weeks ago. It works - sometimes...

^It still works.
I disassembled the fob, removed the battery and blew it all dry with 20psi compressed air.
The jacket looks and smells summer fresh, like a spring shower!

Switchback lighting has this effect. .a COG industry member makes the kit. The running lights make you really visible to oncoming traffic. The photo doesn't capture how much brighter the brakes become with the change but it does show the turn indicator lights working as brake lights.  :great:

Attachments

• running lights.jpg
    running lights.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 171
  • brakes.jpg
    brakes.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 187
Diz said:
Switchback lighting has this effect. .a COG industry member makes the kit. The running lights make you really visible to oncoming traffic. The photo doesn't capture how much brighter the brakes become with the change but it does show the turn indicator lights working as brake lights.  :great:

Do the rear turn signals stay on steady as running lights when turn signals and brake light is off?

Only the center rear light is a running light. The turn indicators flash yellow (much brighter than before) when in use and you will have 2 brake lights when using a signal light. Of course the turn indicator light could be a running light if you are like me and forget to turn it off  :-[