• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What kind of tire life are c 14's getting

kilowatt

Training Wheels
I have a 2011 C14. I got 3,500 miles to the wear bars on the Michelin that came on the bike new. I replaced both the tires with Shinko 009 ravens that are at 5,000 miles, and close to the wear bars now. I would like to go with tires that I can get 10,000 or more if there is such a tire out there.

I know that tire life is subjective to riding style, but I would think that we could come up with some kind of
average on what these bikes are get.

If people could give what mileage, brand and model tire that they are using it would be helpful in eliminating needless expense and trial and error.  Thanks

You may be the luckiest owner on the forum if yours came new with Michelins. The rest of us were stuck with the Bridgestones that are definitely subpar.

On my new, as of March 2011, Fast Black 2011 C14 - I've got 8665 on my Bridgestone OEMs. I'll change them next season. I didn't want to get new rubber just for them to sit all winter.  :'(
So I used the OEMs to extreme this season. They held up well, and I still have good tread, however cupping makes them squirly, but I'm still waiting till next season to change them.

3400 on oem  then went  to angels  obtained 7800 from those now on my second set of angels  hope to get a bit more this time,the roads in texas although good have this tar gravel covering  which seems to increase wear  but  the angels  are good  for me, and think i will stick  with this brand for now,and again as said before depends  how you ride

4500 on original Bridgestones. 10000 on 1st set of Pirelli Angels. 8000 so far on 2nd set of Pirelli's. Should make it to 10 grand. Front tire could go longer but just changed both out.

bt 016  ,,  2300 miles and bald sides ..middle has a little left . , front and back at same time , going to ride it a few more miles and put my new tires on

Right now I have a Michelin road 3 on. Only a couple
of days of riding on it. Before that I had the road 2.
It had over 4 k on it Before I took it off. I didn't know
if it was going to make it through a big ride . I will put
it back on when the 3 goes away. I would say the 2
May get 2+ more thousand. When I bought my bike
in July it had a new Bridgestone B 016 it made it to almost
5 k.

Chuck 8)

Tire life can be different for all folks. My point being that on the OEM Bridgstone 021's. A lot of folks had the front tire wear out anywhere from 3,000-5,000 miles. But other folks got anywhere of 8,000 or more miles. If you want to find out about tires, you really need to talk to folks that have gotten similar wear out of similar tires.
I personally had the OEM 021 toast and off the bike at about 4,000 miles (they sucked). The Michelin PR2 was better but I hated the tire. Very unpredictable grip made them unnerving. So I removed them before they wore out. The Pirelli Angel ST is still my favorite tire. It has the best grip and predictability of any tire I've used on the C14. Great in the dry, very good in the wet. They were good for anywhere from 4,000-6,000+, depending on how, when and where I rode. I now have the Michelin PR3's. I also like them, although I haven't wore out the full tire to get a complete opinion. (and will not until next riding season). But my opinion so far is that they have good grip in the dry, but the Angels are better.  The grip is better in warmer temps. (the warmer the better). But the PR3 is the best tire that I have used in the wet. I have about 4,000+ on them now and they look to last a while longer. I suspect  that they will probably last a little longer than the Angels. How much is the question.
So as far as tires go that offer a good combination or grip and wear. The two I recommend are the Pirelli Angel ST, and the Michelin PR3. The Angels have better dry grip and inspire great confidence. They are very good in the wet and have decent wear (better than average). But the PR3's are also decent in the dry, and great in the wet. The PR3 should also wear good (maybe better than the Angel). So what it comes down to is what is more important to you. Confidence and awesome dry grip, or decent dry grip and a little better wear and wet grip. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with either tire. The Pirelli Angel ST and the Michelin PR3 (not the PR2) are IMO, the two best tires I have tried.

I have an 08 and for the most part have only had PR2's on the bike.  I was getting about 5 - 8K out of them before they were completely wore out.  90% of my riding is on interstate.  I now have a set of PR3's and I think they are wearing better than the PR2's.  They only have 3K on them so I have to wait awhile.

I'm glad to see that someone besides me likes the Metzlers!  Not that it matters - the 880s are perfect for the way I drive my C10 and I'm going to stick with them whichever way the wind is blowing.