• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

What to do when the throttle cable snaps?

colinp386

Saturday night I was riding from Granite Falls to Cle Elum to get an early start on a Dirt Bike ride when the throttle cable snapped just as I was overtaking a Porsche (what's a guy to do if they ain't moving along right) So there I am at the side of the road after the Porsche passes me wondering wtf that idiot is doing.. trying to figure out what to do, its pitch black 9:30Pm and 4 miles for the nearest town (North Bend) Umm I know... Reach down wind in the idle adj all the way that gave me 4,000 rpm, bit of clutch slip 1, 2, 3 up to 25mph 10 or so minutes later after negotiating a few junctions and judicious use of the back break to slow her down to 10mph I arrived at Mikes & Pauline's house. Mike is gracious enough to lend me his cage and off I drive to Cle Elum for a fund days riding on the Honda XL250 (1972) With Bob S. Back to North Bend and Mike was doubly gracious helped me load InCOGnito onto the back of his trailer and gave me a ride home! Power of COG! Thanks Mike! Now off to Murph's to get me a couple of cables, (one spare). Colin. PS. I do not advocate doing this yourself, as its not without significant risk, if you not appropriately skilled etc. If you do try it I suggest you keep the rev's lower like perhaps 2,000 RPM, yes its slower but your not revving the nuts of the bike with the clutch in etc. Better to arrive safe and late. Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

Colin, that was very creative. I don't think I would have thought of that. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

Thanks for supporting each other COG! Another option, though one requiring some greater level of skill, would be to remove the tank and remove both throttle cables. Since the Connie has a push-pull throttle setup as a backup to the throttle return spring, you could possibly remove the broken cable and install the entire return cable assembly in it's place. This would give you a pull-only but it would work ok. There is a chance the cable would be a little bit shorter but it would be something to try if there were no other options available. You would need: Phillips screwdriver 10mm open-end wrench for tank bolts and cable locknuts (prefer two of them) pliers The challenge would be getting the endpiece of the cable off one end of the carbs and onto the other. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

Colin, where did the cable break ? Probably close to the carbs ? Do you think it could be a lack of lube or simply old age ? I don't carry a spare and the thought of an eventual break is always in the back of my mind.... I've never lubed the cable itself ('05 Connie), but I keep the cable fitting at the carbs well lubed with engine oil and the plastic chanel at the handlebar lubed with grease. Thanks for sharing with us the trick to get back on the road ! Never would have thought of that, but, as you say, I would start at a lower RPM.

Hi Raymond I have not pulled the cable out yet as I'm busy removing the 7th gear unit and all the other farkles so I can install them on my new scoot. I suspect its snapped as you suggest at the carb end. There is a pretty sharp bend there partly due to the shortness of the cable as I have bar risers fitted. I suspect the failure is mainly age related as I do lube the cables and they are likely to be the original cables with 60K miles on them. Good idea to take a spare pull cable if the scoot has > 50K miles on it. At a push you can probably use the return cable but swapping it out on the road would take some time. Colin Prior COG IT Director Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767 AMA#1081764 ROK#20000617
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

Good idea to take a spare pull cable if the scoot has > 50K miles on it.
At $19 for the push cable, and $24 for the pull cable. OR $39 for the set from Murphs I dont see this as being too expensive. I am thinking 50K replacement intervals just so I dont ever have to try this out riding. Or maybe just like replacing hoses / brake lines / belts and other similar stuff like that every 4 years, maybe we should just be changing our cables every 4 years too. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Darn, the voice of reason speaks! Great idea, and not a lot of work if you're already doing the valves or have the tank off. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

Well I just ordered mine. So we can do that on the 17th when we do the carbs. Might as well since it will be apart anyways. 2003 Concours, 56K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Bent Bike in Auburn and Lynnwood WA. I don't shop there much but they have a large selection of cables. Also foam OEM type air filters for the Conk. Got a clutch cable for the KLR there. Great option when the scoot is down.

I wish I had read this sooner just replaced the front and back brake lines and clutch line (thanks Murphs) never thought about the throttle cable. Ah well next time.

The old VW's would break the throttle cable, if the last guy that had the engine out (or whatever) adjusted the cable for full throttle & didn't leave a tiny bit of slack in it. Don Don Marysville, WA 87 C10 170K & ready to go!
ConnieMap.jpg