• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Where are you going next year?

ron203

Southeast Area Director
Here in the SE, our riding season is far from over, but for many reasons, today my thoughts turned to riding NEXT year. I started thinking about where to go, what to see, and stuff and thought, "I wonder what everybody else is thinking of doing?"

I plan to finish the Blue Ridge Parkway and ride in the mountains of Tennessee. A little trip to the Texas Hill country is on tap for June.

What about you?

I've been planning a big trip for years, but it always gets postponed.... not next year. Leaving at the end of April, maybe start of May. Riding from the SE to see all the SW and visit friends and family. Northern most Denver, maybe Yellowstone, Western most Death Valley, maybe the Pacific........On the R1.

Sounds good. Every year is gonna be THE year and it gets postponed. NEXT year has to be some of it. Time is passing...

You keep us posted Rico. We will welcome you with open arms! Planning a couple events, RT 66 rolling ride, another great SW regional and of course the Big dawg 3 sisters. WHOOWA!

ron203 said:
Sounds good. Every year is gonna be THE year and it gets postponed. NEXT year has to be some of it. Time is passing...

tick tock.

I'm by no means locked in but probably SW in late April to June/July working into California/OR toward the end.  For sure the Very Boring Rally IV in Duluth, MN in August, along with the third annual resurrection of the Johnston brothers annual fishing, drinking and now OHV riding extravaganza.

SteveJ. said:
ron203 said:

tick tock.

I'm by no means locked in but probably SW in late April to June/July working into California/OR toward the end.  For sure the Very Boring Rally IV in Duluth, MN in August, along with the third annual resurrection of the Johnston brothers annual fishing, drinking and now OHV riding extravaganza.

Sounds like another great adventure in the making.  :great:

Tick tock for sure.

Don't think I will be able to hit Alaska next year but still want a long trip so think I might try the Trans-Labrador next year, want to run it counter clockwise so I can hit the ferries first and not have timing issues. All depends on if I can get my suspension all rebuilt and up to snuff first. Lot of little thing to do to the bike before I take it up there.

Alaska.....but not on the bike.  cruise planned for the honeymoon.  :beerchug:

my bucket list includes a trip cross country, but not yet.  ::)

I planning on a 2 week camping trip in may to North Carolina. I now own JR Gypsy's Time out camper so going to tow it with my 2012 connie to Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground for 2 weeks  :beerchug: 

SteveJ. said:
ron203 said:

tick tock.

Keep me posted SteveJ.

Our Sister Club, GTR Club of Europe (GCE) is putting on another Ride the Alp's Rally.
I went to the last one and it was absolutely the ride of a lifetime.
  It was beautiful, plus I used skills that I hardly touch in the USA...
    {And it is the cheapest way I know to do a sponsored ride Europe}...

I'm considering it again..  >:D

Anyone want to go?

Ride safe, Ted

Warwgn said:
Don't think I will be able to hit Alaska next year but still want a long trip so think I might try the Trans-Labrador next year, want to run it counter clockwise so I can hit the ferries first and not have timing issues. All depends on if I can get my suspension all rebuilt and up to snuff first. Lot of little thing to do to the bike before I take it up there.

I was talking w/Mike Anthony the other day and we're kicking around the idea of a cross country run, too. Probably 2019 or '20.

Zarticus said:
I planning on a 2 week camping trip in may to North Carolina. I now own JR Gypsy's Time out camper so going to tow it with my 2012 connie to Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground for 2 weeks  :beerchug:

If you time it right, you can take in the Beat the Heat summer rally at Iron Horse!

ron203 said:
Zarticus said:

If you time it right, you can take in the Beat the Heat summer rally at Iron Horse!

only if two weeks in May turns into 3 months to July!  :))

if you re there in early May, ride down out of the mountains to Spencer NC on the 5th and join us at the NC Transportation Museum.  they are having a bike show that day.  :great:

Planning a late June run from San Diego to Calgary Alberta taking the 395 through the California eastern sierras, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Calgary, Banff National Park. returning through Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah and home. its a good thing I've got 4 weeks vacation on the books.

Rico said:
SteveJ. said:
ron203 said:

tick tock.

Keep me posted SteveJ.

Gotcha

No big rides planned Planning on doing the Tour of Honor, RWTW and Barbers vintage days. Maybe a Saturday RTE

who me? said:
No big rides planned Planning on doing the Tour of Honor, RWTW and Barbers vintage days. Maybe a Saturday RTE

Sounds good!

Don't forget the new Tennessee Spring Rally!! Whoee!!

Something between Gumby who travels East and back West or Sailor Chic, who heads West and back East. I hope someday to do even a fraction of their epic rides.  I enjoyed following their routes over the years and hope to do the same some day. Those were the first to come to mind, but Rick Fox, Russell Fleming and a whole host of others get me thinking every new year of some epic voyages.  So many routes, so little time.  :-[

"So many routes, so little time."

No kidding. There's a map company who keeps popping up in Facebook ads called America Rides (?) whose teasers are killing me.

ron203 said:
who me? said:

Sounds good!

Don't forget the new Tennessee Spring Rally!! Whoee!!

Where can I find the info on the TN rally?

I would love to do long distance trips but I have very little vacation.  Definitely going to Texas for the rally, RWTW.  One of the things I'm looking forward to doing is the Iron Butt ride.  I'll be making a lot of trips to Chicago to meet my grandchild in May.  And no, there's no way I would ever ride in Chicago!.

worncog said:
Looking at Tuktoyaktuk, with an Alaskan follow-thru.

Plan to make this ride with Randy. Will also make a trip out west or up to the New England states. Then throw in 4 - 6 rally's.

Cliff  :beerchug:

Just Cliff said:
worncog said:
Looking at Tuktoyaktuk, with an Alaskan follow-thru.

Plan to make this ride with Randy. Will also make a trip out west or up to the New England states. Then throw in 4 - 6 rally's.

Cliff  :beerchug:

Cool! One of my neighbors did an Alaska fly in and rental ride on 650 Stroms a couple of years ago and loved it.

Take pictures!

I hope, i will go OtP - Over the Pond next year, and visit "The Three Sisters COG National Rallye"

:motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises:

I have been heading for retirement and a ride of my life next year for a long time.  I still plan on heading west in late spring and be gone through the COG National rally.  I will miss it but what better reason than a trip like this.  I will wonder NM UT AZ NV CA OR WA ID and maybe head back through Co on the way home.  All on my own time and only if I am enjoying it.

Hope that works out for you and you cover it in detail for all us poor work bound slobs... A couple of us were texting the other night and we got into a wild discussion going about a westward trip from Georgia to the Pacific in 2019. That's on my list and has been since college (1979). I'd sit in class and dream about riding coast to coast starting with the back wheel starting in the Atlantic and the front wheel touching the Pacific at the end. If I'd paid attention in class, maybe I could've retired and done it already.  :))

It's not too late, but time is growing shorter.. Hope it works out for you. Take lots of pictures and tell us lots of stories! ;)  I'll hope to look you up in Texas.
Ron

I am leaving winter camp the 4th week of March (2018) to go to Melrose WI. Doing a workamping gig at an RV resort. Its the first time I ever did a work camping gig, so I'll find out if I like it or not.

If anyone happens to be in the Melrose area (I think its near La Crosse) from April-October (minus Sturgis week because thats where I'll be) please stop by and say hello. If you want to camp, I'll have plenty of room for that too.

Gypsy JR said:
I am leaving winter camp the 4th week of March (2018) to go to Melrose WI. Doing a workamping gig at an RV resort. Its the first time I ever did a work camping gig, so I'll find out if I like it or not.

If anyone happens to be in the Melrose area (I think its near La Crosse) from April-October (minus Sturgis week because thats where I'll be) please stop by and say hello. If you want to camp, I'll have plenty of room for that too.

Just north of Mindoro.  :great: :great: :motonoises: :motonoises:

Which park? Send PM iff'n you don't want to disclose publicly.

I'll be up in the neighborhood in May.

Planning a big ride at least by my standards around Lake Superior the first week in August with a couple friends.
Hoping to hit Moonshine and another rally or two as well.
It sounds like the Barber Fall Festival is a lot of fun, thinking about that as well.
C'mon Spring! :motonoises:

Clem said:
Planning a big ride at least by my standards around Lake Superior the first week in August with a couple friends.
It sounds like the Barber Fall Festival is a lot of fun, thinking about that as well.

You need to come to Barber's. We can't even try to explain how good it is. Food, beer, vintage and classic motorcycles, thousands and thousands of motorcycles, Barber Museum, racing, massive flea market, slow races, nightly fire ring, and of course Camp SECOG.

worncog said:
Clem said:

You need to come to Barber's. We can't even try to explain how good it is. Food, beer, vintage and classic motorcycles, thousands and thousands of motorcycles, Barber Museum, racing, massive flea market, slow races, nightly fire ring, and of course Camp SECOG.

For Barber, you need to decide around July as Lot B Camping Passes will sell out. But what Randy said, definitely a good time.

We are doing the Horseshoe Mountain Rendezvous, SE Spring Rally in April, taking a week and spending 4 nights in Louisville and 4 nights in KC in June, taking over a week and heading up to the NE (Harrisburg/Hershey PA, Burlington VT, Lake Placid NY & Niagara Falls CA) in July. the SE Beat the Heat Rally in July, I have the Very Boring Rally 4 on the agenda in August, RWTW in September, maybe a week trip some where 3rd week of September for my wife's Fall break and then the Barber Vintage Festival in October.

That's about all I can fit it, maybe swing down to Daytona for the weekend for bike week.

Plans are tightening up a bit.

HMR#5, then up to MN for some fabrication work on the Roadtrek at my brother's place(40x60 well equipped shop  :great: ), with the 3rd Resurrection of The Johnston Brother Annual Fishing, Drinking, and Now Off Road Vehicle Extravaganza in early May. 

Sometime in May will be leaving there for either the Southwest/Cali area or north to Alaska. Maybe the Bun Cooler on the way.

If coming back from Alaska will likely hit the VBR4.

All the above trailering either the KLR(Alaska) or the Versys(SW/Cali) behind the Roadtrek.

After Labor Day I plan on hopping on the Versys with a tent riding pillion for the RWTW, followed by the Spider and then on to the Arkansas rally near Mountain View.

Tentative for October is either Barber or the wifey and I will cruise the Danube and/or Rhine.

Gonna be busy, the goal is no more than one week in Flowriduh this summer.

Yeehaw!

Edit to add: Newfoundland has just come into play.

SteveJ. said:
Gypsy JR said:

Pheasant Ridge Resort
N4299 Lien Rd.
Melrose, WI  54642

Gypsy JR said:
SteveJ. said:
Gypsy JR said:

Pheasant Ridge Resort
N4299 Lien Rd.
Melrose, WI  54642

Thanks. And do check out The Mindoro Cut on 108. Pretty good ride through there. Also check out the highway going to Wildcat Mountain, south of you a bit. Some really fine riding in that area on usually almost deserted roads. I spent quite a bit of time playing in the area when I lived up there.

SteveJ. said:
Gypsy JR said:
SteveJ. said:
Gypsy JR said:

Pheasant Ridge Resort
N4299 Lien Rd.
Melrose, WI  54642

Thanks. And do check out The Mindoro Cut on 108. Pretty good ride through there. Also check out the highway going to Wildcat Mountain, south of you a bit. Some really fine riding in that area on usually almost deserted roads. I spent quite a bit of time playing in the area when I lived up there.

Thanks. Will do those two for sure. Should have lots of time for riding at times.

The resort has all the RV sites isolated, so if you park your RV in a site, you can't see another RV usually. Lots of meadow and grass. So my mowing job will be fairly continuous, I think. Few hours a day they said.

Where are you going next year?

Next year, I'm going to the Sport Touring School in Jennings Florida again!!!
                                            "WoW" did I have a good time!!

Ride safe, Ted

This thread was started last year for this year and you just did that, so you've already done next year, already this year. Got it?    :))

Glad you had fun! Maybe I can go next time in next year, because I already missed this next year already.  :truce:

Letsseee,,,, This tread asked; Where are you  going next year?
  I sed; Next year, I'm going to the Sport Touring School in Jennings Florida again!!!

You sed; This thread was started last year for this year and you just did that, so you've already done next year, already this year. Got it?

Rethinking; 
  I missed it last year, so I went this year, and hope to do it again next year, because I went this year, and missed it last year.
  Plus;
  I hope to see you there next year, bukuz you missed it this year, "and" last year,,, "and" ya just sed maybe you'll be there next
  year, bekuz you already missed it this year "and" last year..

Did I get that right??  :??:  :)

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
  I sed; Next year, I'm going to the Sport Touring School in Jennings Florida again!!!

You sed; This thread was started last year for this year and you just did that, so you've already done next year, already this year. Got it?

Rethinking; 
  I missed it last year, so I went this year, and hope to do it again next year, because I went this year, and missed it last year.
  Plus;
  I hope to see you there next year, bukuz you missed it this year, "and" last year,,, "and" ya just sed maybe you'll be there next

Ride safe, Ted
Didn't we discuss drinking and you posting on the forum once already this month Ted? Even if it is 9:00AM there already, that is no excuse! ;D

Gumby said:
connie_rider said:

Rethinking; 
  Plus;

Ride safe, Ted
Didn't we discuss drinking and you posting on the forum once already this month Ted? Even if it is 9:00AM there already, that is no excuse! ;D

:)) :))

(I'm starting to feel "picked on")..  :truce:
    And I seem to have stolen the topic....  :threadjack:

Could we get back to,,, where are "you" going next year???
  I assume others are going to the Sport Touring School in Jennings?  <sly grin  :nananana:>

Ride safe, Ted