• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Will Shinko verge 011 work on early 2.5” rimEarly 2.5” wide rim and Shinko tires

I’m trying

Will Shinko verge 011 work on early 2.5” rim.

Has anyone used a Shinko 230 100/90V18 or 110/90V18 and Verge 011 in 120/70ZR18 for the front tire on a pre 93 2.5” rim?

Looking to do a 6500 mile trip in August and want both front and rear tires to be new. My local shop only carries Shinko.

Any feedback would be helpful. 

I am leaning towards the 230 in the 110/90v18 due to the higher V61 load rating.

I would like to hear that the Verge will work on the early rim since it is a radial with w speed rating.

I will be running a 777hd in the rear.

From looking at a couple of my earlier posts, I used the 120/70ZR18 Shinko Verge a couple of times...wider than recommended, but it worked fine on the narrow rim...I was really surprised at how good the tire was in the rain...awesome!

I think the F230 in a 110/90V18 is too tall...will have interference from the front fender...seems like I read that on here...

Good luck!

I appreciate the feedback. Lots of tire reviews but it’s tough to tell if people are talking specifically about the 94+ models. And how that relates to the earlier rim.

I’m leaning towards a 17” conversion but am running out of time before my trip date.

I used 110 and 100 width shinkos on an 02. I would avoid wide ties on the C10. 120 and 130 are way too big. Too much wasted chicken strips, too much unsprung weight. Big hard ties don't warm up. 110 and 100's are ideal IMHO.  I used to mix models of Shinko front/rear to get the sizes I wanted installed.