• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

winter battery care

flying wasp

Bicycle
Michigan = COLD!!  Is it better to leave the battery in bike out in the garage with a smart charger? Or bring it in and store in the basement and charge it several times through the winter? Of course this is an 08 C-14.

I'm in NY and it's also pretty cold in the winter. I use battery tenders on my bikes. I just hook the pig tails on the bikes. Then when they're going to sit in the barn for a while, I plug the bike in. I rarely have battery trouble on my bikes. My Mean Streak is a 2003. I just replaced the original battery this spring.
I also make sure the bike is winterized before I put her away. A full tank with fuel stabilizer, fresh oil's and filter, lube and cleaning before I cover them up. And of course I plug in the trickle charger on the bike.

I also live in Michigan, yup cold. Everything that Cap'n Bob said is what I've done for year with no problems. Man, I can't wait til spring!

I must have 8 battery tenders of some nature hooked up year 'round.

All my bikes have them.  When I get ready to ride, I unplug the "pig tail" from the battery .... mine are trailer connections ... and when I get back, I hook them back up. 

Been doing this for a decade with good results.  Batteries last at least 4 years.

EZ to hook up the pig tails, too.  Even I can do so.  And, I'm about as mechanical as an umbrella. 

I have 8 from Sears.  Schumacher I think is the brand.  Cost is relatively small.  Like $22.95 or so.  Just make sure they come with the pig tail inside.  Some do, some don't.  These China made deals have worked for me for many years and are much less expensive than the Battery Tender brand.  Choose what you like.  But, hook up some sort of battery tender year 'round.

flying wasp said:
Michigan = COLD!!  Is it better to leave the battery in bike out in the garage with a smart charger? Or bring it in and store in the basement and charge it several times through the winter? Of course this is an 08 C-14.

I live in Canada and I bring my battery indoors and top up the charge about once a month. Mine is also an 08, not that that makes a difference.

I also use battery tenders on both motorcycles. Goldwing is a 04 with the originial battery. But I also have figured this cold weather out and moving to The Villages, FL in June. Turning 65 and retiring.

Rash

Congratulations on the retirement, Rash!  The Villages is right smack-dab in the middle of some of the most beautiful riding country in Florida.  And the very BEST winter battery care is to simply ride every day!  Winter is THE time to ride down here.

Cold generally won't hurt the battery as long as it doesn't freeze solid. The electrolyte in a fully charged battery will not freeze until about -65 degrees F. The self discharge rate on batteries actually goes down with temperature. So as long as the vehicle doesn't have a parasitic drain, it should be fine. You might want to put it on an automatic charger, which will keep it topped off and also will help warm it a bit.

However, removing the battery from the vehicle gives you a chance to clean the terminals and eliminates any parasitic drain, so there is something to be said for doing that. If you bring it in the house in a warm environment, then you'll definitely need to charge it up every few weeks, as it will self discharge at a higher rate.

Most folks don't realize it, but batteries are actually damaged more by heat than they are cold, since the self discharge rate goes up dramatically with temperature.

These days I use a Battery Tender Plus which goes into float mode and keeps the battery in good condition over long, very cold winters here in western Maryland.

In the old days, when I was at West Point and kept my (first) H1 and then H2 and then Z1 in my girlfriend's parents' barn, my battery tender was my girlfriend. She would go out every couple days, take the blankets off them, kick start them (pre-electric), and ride them one by one around the farm on the semi-paved roads.

I got to see her a couple times, as I was getting rides to the farm on weekend leave, riding alongside the fields wearing ski clothes and a big knit hat I referred to as a head-sock. In the summer, she and I went for rides, me on the H2, her on the H1, and we had great fun and not a few adventures.

Sigh.... someone once told me you get 1 or at most 2 chances to marry the perfect woman. I'll be damned if I didn't manage to lose her when she moved to California a year before I graduated. Never met a woman like that again since.

And I sold the H1, and 20 years later sold the H2, and I wish I never sold either.

ChipDoc said:
I figured this out 30 years ago - move to Florida and ride all year round!

or bundle up and ride every non-snow day! 

But I do have a couple battery tenders and a sears tender that I throw on the bikes if I see an extended period without riding.  I have never bothered to take the battery inside, though for logistics around the garage, I pull it out of the dirtbike and track bike which spends some of the winter in the trailer..  never a problem with mine.  I generally don't pull the battery on my connie or superduke R because I ride the C14 whenever there is no precipitation, and try to get the SDR out at least once a week..

^^ Privateer, That is a great synopsis for a wonderful feature film. . . you'd have every gearhead in the audience tearing up. A love story for the mechanically inclined, who will actually score points when dragging the gals to the theater.  :beerchug:

Privateer, you need to unhook your battery tender and leave for California..................................NOW!  Go find that woman and put ring on her finger.  ;D

Wow, a surprising number of Michiganders here.

Michigan for me as well ... i dont worry about the cold much, the garage doesnt seem to get below 45 degrees (unless the main door is open),
So i just plug the bikes into Battery Tender Jr.