• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

(WV) Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum and Blizzard Run

COG-528

A blizzard
snow2.gif
in June in West Virginia?!?  That makes a ride to visit the Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum seem like a logical thing to do.

Trans_Allegheny_Lunatic_Asylum_by_amulet_spade_miki.jpg

Click on this link (WV) Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum and Blizzard Run for all the details.  Your room is waiting.  :(

Where is the ferry? Checking out the map. There appears to be some GREAT roads in the area. :great:

hlh1 said:
Hi Mike, what day and time is the tour?

Pat Sprague is our host.  We have got to get him involved with this thread.  All the information I have about this event can be accessed by following the link in the original post.

Yessirr, folks. The TALA & Blizzard Run is quickly approaching.

The ferry is at Sistersville, WV, and crosses over to Fly, Ohio:  Here it is on a pretty morning. Are we there yet?

Sistersville WV Ferry Boat

And some wiki info:    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sistersville_Ferry

Yes, as ike stated, all the info is on the TALA web site. Nice pic!

There are No Bad Roads (sounds like a recent rally, eh?) in the area, and the portal to Ohio just brings us to another level in excellent riding.  The ride over to and around Ohio and return will be a long day of fun and technical roads, but we'll hope to start that day with some excellent buckwheat cakes in West Union, WV. 

Also, these roads will eat up tires but we'll be ready!  ;)

klrider said:
The ride over to and around Ohio and return will be a long day of fun and technical roads, but we'll hope to start that day with some excellent buckwheat cakes in West Union, WV. 

Also, these roads will eat up tires but we'll be ready!  ;)

I love long days of fun technical roads... and buckwheat cakes.

I can't keep good tires on my Connie, not sure why.

I'm with Glenn, looking at Googlemaps last night I did the ferry route and saw a few roads in Ohio that looked really good, ended up with about 6 hours worth of riding and the realization that I need to spend some more time in that area. There are so many little squiggly lines on the map!!

So many roads, so little time.

:mad:

I'm confused. The calendar itself shows the event on the 14th. But the description says the 13th. Which is it ?

JR, 13 June (Thursday) is a travel day for most folks to get into Buckhannon.  :beerchug:

We'll do the ride to Ohio, or see TALA (and maybe ride, too), on either the 14th or 15th, weather depending. Sunday, the 16th is more riding to get home.  :motonoises:

With the solstice just a week away we should have about as much daylight as we can stand.
:great:

Room's booked, I'll be heading out of here Wednesday and taking the scenic route!

Pat, do you have any GPS files to pass along?

Sorry, Roger, no GPS routes as yet. I'll be finishing up the paper ride routes next week, and may get into the GPS stuff then. My aging GPSMAP 376c doesn't do well with routing (like this home computer---it hasn't been supported in years). The 376c is a great platform but is dying a slow death.  :( What to get next...........?

klrider said:
<snip>
My aging GPSMAP 376c doesn't do well with routing (like this home computer---it hasn't been supported in years). The 376c is a great platform but is dying a slow death.  :( What to get next...........?
The Montana is becoming the choice in the LD Riding community when purchasing new.

I'll keep my Zumo 665 with XM weather and traffic.

I do like the geocaching download ability of the new Montana and Oregon lines, though. Satellite view is an extra cost option like XM is for the 665, but I can see how to a hunter or backpacker or any number of outdoor activities where being able to see the actual terrain would be a big plus.

How well does it work with gloved fingertips, by the way? I missed that on the website, but I'm sure its there.

Many in the LD Riding community would be very happy if Garmin reinstated support for the StreetPilot series.  My new to me FJR came with a StreetPilot 2820 which is an upgrade from my StreetPilot 2610 which is stuck with a 2008 mapset. :truce:

Sadly I'm going to miss this event.
Our local BMW club holds it's annual campout this same weekend.

I'd like to hear about the motel you guys are staying at. I've ridden past several times and thought "that would be a good place to stay"

Have fun,
Jason

Jason, I haven't stayed there my self but other COGGERS have and like it a lot. Convenient. Reasonable. Very mo'sickle friendly.  :great:

Hi, Bob. Knowing that Coggers are a frugal lot, I did a little digging to get a better rate for us.

Well, just got news that the whole place is being resurrected  through obamacare, so it's FREE! Including any "treatments" we may need.  :-\      Right this way, Sir.......

Actually you can indeed rent a "room" for overnight at the TALA, just give them a call. I have NO interest in that!  ;)

klrider said:
Sorry, Roger, no GPS routes as yet. I'll be finishing up the paper ride routes next week, and may get into the GPS stuff then. My aging GPSMAP 376c doesn't do well with routing (like this home computer---it hasn't been supported in years). The 376c is a great platform but is dying a slow death.  :( What to get next...........?

Pat, if you can make the paper ride routes available now many of us could use them to create GPS routes before getting to Buckhannon. 

klrider said:

No worries, I'm putting my Wed and Thurs rides together right now.  I know better than to worry too much about routes when riding with you anyway!!!!!!  I usually end up using them to start a fire that evening.  Too many good roads over there to worry too much about routing, they'll all good, just ride!

I did buy a WV Gazetteer though.

Really looking forward to this one.  No camping gear to lug, bike will be light as a feather!

Okay, Brian Jordan has provided me with a GPX file for the Ohio route so I'm good to go get lost. :D

Well according to AccuWeather the travel day weather for us lunatics going to Buckhannon looks less than desirable.    But at least now the Derecho should be hitting WV on Wednesday night instead of Thursday during the day.

650x366_06111733_hd21-1.jpg

Still Thursday should feature plenty of rain for us lunatics from Cumberland to Buckhannon. 
650x366_06111711_hd22.jpg

Thankfully Friday and especially Saturday look like they will be beautiful days for blizzards and riding.

I really wishing I could meet up with you all for this one but I am hosting a party at my shop on Saturday the 15th...
Just wanted to let you all know that if anyone happens to be riding to/from the run through eastern KY, please don't hesitate to call me if you need ANYTHING.
LakeTrax
7090 US 60 W.
Morehead, KY 40351
(606)780-4206
The shop is only 2 miles south of I-64 near the north end of Cave Run Lake. I would be glad to help out fellow my Coggers any way I can if needed. Emergencies or otherwise- Even if someone just wants to cool their jets and shoot the breeze for a few, feel free to give me a call. Enjoy the ride & keep it between the ditches!

-Jesse Milner

Thanks for your kind offer, Jesse. It is appreciated.  :great:

Also, dig out your calendar, planner, smartphone, or a napkin and in September 2014, that's FOURteen, scribble down COG in Coal Country. Dates not firm just yet, but we'll be at Twin Falls State Park in Mullens, WV for a 3-4 day weekend. That's probably not too far from you, and the riding is excellent. Maybe you could scoot up and join us for the weekend. 

Just finished packing the Wee, I'll be on the road shortly.  Going to ride all day today, tomorrow, the next day, the next, you get the idea.

Who looks at the weather!!!???

That looks bad.

Leas I have a roof over my head.

Rode a ton of good roads today.  Lots of dirt and small twisties.

Put a Anakee 3 out back last night, I really like that tire!

Well it appears that the storm front must have stalled in Ohio last night because it is in West Virginia this morning. 

590x393_06131210_page.jpg

After almost dying in Missouri last June when I was caught in an extremely bad thunderstorm, I'm starting to think the smart thing will be to stay home today and travel either tonight or tomorrow.

The morning severe weather is gone and it looks like I have a window to ride West into PA so I'm going to go for it.  Hopefully the weather this afternoon in Central PA, Western MD and WV won't be that bad and I won't have any major issues trying to get through to Buckhannon. 

See y'all this evening.

:( :truce: :'(

not happy that I'm not making this. i was really looking forward to getting into the Ohio area outside of Sistersville. Maybe before the summers out.

Roger 123 said:
Dusty_Strom said:
Does anyone have a GPS/GPX file to share on these routes?

Yes, but it's in my GPS.

Ha!  :truce:

I emailed you a number of geocaches I found around Buckhannon and the TALA/Weston -- without knowing the rest of the routes those are the only ones I pulled up.  Perhaps after I get there tomorrow night we can work the electronic magic from your 21st century spiffy glitzy GPS and my pre-9/11 version!

Looks like Cindy and Andy the Super Dog will be staying in Blacksburg and I'll be alone.  Still no power for them but hopefully will come back on soon.  Of course last time we said that it was 6 days.  :-[

I made it! :1rij: 

I got into Weston, WV at 8:50 PM.  Weather was not a problem.  I needed fuel and did not know if I could get food after 9 PM in Buckhannon so I ate too.  By the time I left Weston ground fog had developed and it was almost a complete white-out on the road.  I guess you could say that is right in keeping with this being a Blizzard run. :D

Finally got to the motel in Buckhannon at 10:30 PM.

Dusty_Strom said:
Roger 123 said:
Dusty_Strom said:
Does anyone have a GPS/GPX file to share on these routes?

Yes, but it's in my GPS.

Ha!  :truce:

I emailed you a number of geocaches I found around Buckhannon and the TALA/Weston -- without knowing the rest of the routes those are the only ones I pulled up.  Perhaps after I get there tomorrow night we can work the electronic magic from your 21st century spiffy glitzy GPS and my pre-9/11 version!

Looks like Cindy and Andy the Super Dog will be staying in Blacksburg and I'll be alone.  Still no power for them but hopefully will come back on soon.  Of course last time we said that it was 6 days.  :-[

It worked!

I hope all lunatic and blizzard riders made it home safely.

It was a bit dodgy getting there for most of us, but fourteen folks rode as many bikes to Buckhannon, WV for the weekend.

Many roads were a mess on Friday so we took a short ride in the AM, then visited TALA for the tour after Noon. Very interesting place and history. Blizzards and other goodies were enjoyed returning to home base.

Saturday provided us with superb weather, most excellent roads, and twelve super riders for the 325 mile loop over through Ohio. An awesome day.

The Centennial Motel was great and we ate too much excellent food at CJ Maggies.

Write up in the next COG NE Newsletter. Thanks to all who came!  :great:

Had a really good time this weekend.  Rode a lot of new roads, and enjoyed riding with everyone.  Thanks for putting this together, Pat!  :beerchug:

At 9:30 AM as it started to rain I was the last one to depart the motel on Sunday.  I would have been out a half hour earlier but I had some difficulty programming my GPS (damn touch screen) and then spent a bunch of time trying to find my house keys which I misplaced.  I called the Blue Bell Diner in Ohio and asked the motel office to watch for them.  I got home at 5:30 PM and found when I emptied my riding pants pockets that I had been sitting on my missing keys the whole way home.  :-[ 

I had a great time this weekend.  Pat hosted the type of event that reminded me of the good ole days before COG got so bureaucratic and political.  The ride through Ohio was well worth getting up early for a 6:30 AM departure.  Ohio-255 is a great technical ride and all those Miatas seemed to agree.  Ohio-555 can only be described as a roller coaster ride that seems to be stuck in an endless loop. 

My only question is if we do this ride again next year what is going to be the theme?  We all saw the asylum this time around.

Thanks, guys. Glad that you enjoyed the weekend and rides.

Next year!? Dunno. We may have some new lunatic riders to 'break in' by then. And I might need another Blizzard by then.

I've sent a little write-up and some pix to Tim Anderson, our NE Area newsletter editor. If you have some pix from the weekend that you'd like to share with COG, please forward the same to Tim for the next issue.

Thanks!

klrider said:
Thanks, guys. Glad that you enjoyed the weekend and rides.

Next year!? Dunno. We may have some new lunatic riders to 'break in' by then. And I might need another Blizzard by then.

I've sent a little write-up and some pix to Tim Anderson, our NE Area newsletter editor. If you have some pix from the weekend that you'd like to share with COG, please forward the same to Tim for the next issue.

Thanks!

How did Vernon/Replete Roads work out for ya'll? Anyone get in the water near Hanging Rock? 

Had a great time, 1625 miles in 5 days.  Weather was about as good as you could hope for, I had some rain on my Thursday ride but it really didn't affect much at all.

We (myself, Tom and Dusty) hit Redish Knob and Sugar Grove on the way home (stayed off the dirt side).  I (we) did enough on Wed, thurs and fri.  I'm glad I had a local with me on friday, I had some nice routes planned from the living room but when Andy said no (and he was on the KLR) it probably was a good idea to stay away!

As far as a theme for next year, I'm in for this same exact ride, wouldn't change a thing!

Got to do 3 of 4 of my favorite things, ride, shoot and have a few cold ones.

Here's a few pics, I was too busy riding to take very many.

http://s196.photobucket.com/user/somerorr/library/Buckhannon%202013?sort=3&page=2

Thanks a lot Pat, really appreciate what you do for COG and us.

Thanks for hosting this event, Pat. Enjoyed it thoroughly!

I had a mostly good ride home.  About an hour of rain through Pittsburgh.  Rode NY 5 along the south shore of lake Erie into Buffalo (Nice alternative to I90) and crossed the border at 1:00 pm.

See many of you guys at Russell's next weekend.....

Brian Jordan

connieklr said:
How did Vernon/Replete Roads work out for ya'll? Anyone get in the water near Hanging Rock?

Three of us (Clyde, Wayne--on his KTM C-14--, and myself made an approach from the Flatwoods side, went up a steeeeep "paved" road, then dirt down the other side, avoided some smaller washed out dirt roads going down, so never connected with Replete Road.

Just as well, our tour was waiting when we tooled into TALA.

Man, those tour guide "nurses" are good at walking backwards!  ;)