• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Yamaha’s new concept motorcycle

ManWorkingHere

https://youtu.be/ERpQ6_NQGPM

Yamaha spent the week at the Tokyo Motor Show airing out a few truly ridiculous reference designs, but none were more outrageous than the Niken three-wheeled motorcycle. Tricycles aren’t new, and this isn’t even the first leaning trike. But it’s the first idea like this to come from a major motorcycle company like Yamaha.

Being a reference design, there aren’t really any specs to speak of. Yamaha says that this “Leaning Multi-Wheeler” uses a liquid-cooled 3-cylinder engine and 15-inch wheels, but that’s about it.
"Somewhere between a motorcycle and a static trike"

Really, it’s all about seeing this thing in action. The video Yamaha released starts off with an actor pretending to ski down a road before doing the same action on the concept bike. (Well, technically, it begins with an actor swinging swords around while tapping touchscreen displays, but I digress.) The implication here is that the dual front wheels (and their discrete tubes and forks) would allow you to slalom down a winding mountain road more confidently and, hopefully, decrease the chance of eating it.

Whether or not Yamaha plans to bring the idea to a retailer near you isn’t clear; the company is supposed to announce more details about the project at the Milan Motorcycle Show in November. But Yamaha definitely seems to believe in the power of three wheels, because it announced an electric scooter concept (called “Tritown”) that uses the Leaning Multi-Wheel technology at the show as well.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/27/16561720/yamaha-trike-tricycle-niken-tokyo-motor-show

https://youtu.be/tyuUQGztQrk

“New! Only at Yamaha!”

Except Ive seen scooters like this for the last 5 years or so.

Meh - not really seeing the value of extra wheel/tire. One more thing to maintain, extra weight and complexity.

I may be looking at this if it comes out! After an accident, I still have dizzy moments and this may be the answer!

Rain Dancer said:
I may be looking at this if it comes out! After an accident, I still have dizzy moments and this may be the answer!

Does it offer enough stability like a full trike?

Interesting use-case!

JimBob said:
Rain Dancer said:

Does it offer enough stability like a full trike?

Interesting use-case!

I only know of the Piaggio, but never ridden one. Not a trike person, and I have ridden those. If it comes out, I will wrangle a test ride, that's for sure!