• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Z1/KZ Dynamo cover oil leak

Tim R

The left side cover which covers the Dynamo on my 900 is leaking. The grommet the wires go through is known to leak at some point. The fix is a new grommet, cut and re-solder the wires back together after running them through the new grommet. Not my idea of a good time...simple enough but I really don't want to cut wires. So I was thinking of taking the dynamo cover off and hosing everything with brake clean. Then slather the entire grommet/inside wires with Honda Bond and put back together. Or should I just bite the bullet and replace the grommet? If you have not used Honda Bond before it is pretty runny compared to RTV. I know some of you Z1/KZ owners have dealt with this problem. Thanks, Tim 

As you've already sed you don't want to cut the wires, seal it.
But, I think I would use oil resistant RTV. {Gasket maker}

If the RTV doesn't work you can always go to plan B. (Cut and new grommet)

Ride safe, Ted

Indeed on the right track Tim, I helped a friend resurrect an old KZ1000B, the leaking at that point was one of the last niggles. He emery clothed the junction a lot, then used top quality oil/heat resistant bond and the weepage stopped.