• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Z1000 Ninja test ride

jimp

Sport Tourer
I rode a Z1000 Ninja today at one of Kawi's demo events. Nice bike, but like all, not great.

High points:
Good handling - light, responsive, flickable.
Great power. It wanted to run.
Good ergos and wind blast management.

Low points:
Buzzy below 4k rpm - seriously buzzy!
Miserable slab for a saddle.
Suck ass new coffin shape mirrors being used on all the new Kawi's - they're shaped like the brake reservoir covers on the C14.
Exhaust drone on trailing/closed throttle - add in the buzzyness and I thought it was some sort of high powered vibrator, or a power floor sander.
Kept looking for a sixth gear - almost 5k rpm at 70.

Also rode the Versys - what a joke. But that was probably because the demo bike was in need of some major service.

Now the ZX10R.... OH YEAH BABY!!! Take my license now officer.  ;D

I'm a little disappointed to hear about how much buzz the Ninja 1000 has. I guess I would now have to test ride one before ever consider buying one. Thanks for the input.

I'm going down to Washington DC in May to demo ride the big Vulcan tourer, and if they have a C14 there, that too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Z1000 and a Ninja 1000 are different bikes.
There is no such bike as a Z1000 Ninja.

MrPepsi,

I just checked the Kaw website and it still lists both bikes so you are correct.
Ninja 1000 has 5 gal. tank compared to 4 gal. for Z1000, Ninja also has larger
fairing and a few other minor things compared to naked Z1000

I went to the Kawasaki demo ride event in Denver today. I've never been to one before, and I had a blast. I rode the Ninja 1000 and the C-14. I liked the Ninja 1000, but agree the seat was not very comfortable, and the mirrors were awful. But it was nimble and had plenty of power. It was a fun bike to ride.

Then I got on the C-14. That may have been a mistake, and I could hear my '99 Concours "Margo" in the parking lot sort of sniffing at me. It was smooth, extremely powerful, very comfortable, and I loved the adjustable windshield.

If you get the chance, absolutly go do one of these events. I learned a lot about some bikes I'd never tried before and the people running it were very nice.

Iroe the Ninja 1000 a few weeks ago when the demo's were in Seattle. Throttle response was quick, on and off. I rode in on a 2002 FZ-1. I liked the bike and didn't find it too buzzy. For me the ergo's were about right but the seat will have to go as on most new bikes if you plan to go throgh a full tank of gas. Also took out the new C-14, nice but I wish they gave it a bgger tank. Last I rode a 1700 cruiser. After the other two it felt like a lawn tractor. Maybe time for a new Connie, this winter when they are ready to deal.