• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ZX14R

HalfFast

Bicycle
I went to a Kawasaki Demo ride event outside of Dallas today.  Wanted to ride a ZG14.  Enjoyed it and will probably get one some day.  The crowd wasn't that big so I signed up for a second ride on a ZX14R.  A sport bike guy I work with had told me it was made for "fat old guys like me." 

The bike was intimidating to sit on but ergonomics were not really that bad... really pretty good.  I started to think I would chicken out and not ride it out of the parking lot...  Once we were moving though all fear evaporated.  The clutch was easy and power delivery was smooth.  Brakes were powerful but not grabby.  Handling, even at low speed, was light and almost psychic compared to my ZG1000.

And then we got to the open road... OMG....

Throughout our 30 minute ride I spent a full 20 minutes literally giggling in my helmet.  The acceleration is... breathtaking.  I had no idea.  The seating position became effortless.  The firm suspension was comfortable.  I was effortlessly flicking it into turns I had taken cautiously on the ZG14 just minutes before.  This bike is magic.

So why won't I buy one?  I am sure I could put bags on it enough for some modest touring.  But, since I am only 53 I lack the maturity to ride this bike responsibly.  I found that it shaved about 40 years off my impressions of "mortality," "civic duty," and similar high minded concepts.  It may not be possible to ride that bike legally on public roads.  I might just get one anyway.

If you want to try one, check out the event when it comes to your town:  http://goodtimesstreetdemodays.kawasaki.com/home/?cm_mmc=GTDD-_-KMCPromo-_-DemoRidePageStreetBucket-_-GoodTimesStreetDemo  

HalfFast - it is quite possible that it was you who I stood in line and chatted with before the ride. You commented on the top heavy weight of the C-1000, compared to the C-14. I was there on my C-14, and test rode both a ZX-10 and a ZX-14. Anyways, I completely agree with your take on the ZX-14. It is incredibly comfortable for a sport bike, and easy to ride, both fast and slow. The stock brakes were quite good, and the acceleration was as powerful as I expected for a 1.4 L sport bike. The traction control, ABS, and fuel mapping selector were also a nice touch, although I suspect that most people rode it "fully armed". Thanks to the demo ride leaders, I was able to punch the throttle a few times during the ride, which made for a very high and immediate grin factor.

I also rode the ZX-10, which I found to be smooth as silk, although it was quite clear that the engine needed to be reved a bit higher than my CBR to get into the power band. The ergonomics were also nowhere nearly as comfortable as the ones on the ZX-14.

That may have been me, I spoke to several Connie riders.  We were well represented there. 

Yes, I got to really hammer it twice, just before the dam and again entering 26.  I may have slightly violated the two-wheels-on-the-ground rule unintentionally  :D  The Kawi reps did a great job of hosting us today.  Anyone who can get out there Sunday should go.

TGE said:
I also rode the ZX-10, which I found to be smooth as silk, although it was quite clear that the engine needed to be reved a bit higher than my CBR to get into the power band. The ergonomics were also nowhere nearly as comfortable as the ones on the ZX-14.

I too love the ZX10R, but its not something I fit into anymore, if you get my drift. Hurts too much to tuck like that etc.

They are so much better than the 2005 one I had for a while.

The new ZX14R seems to be a tad more comfortable than the pre-2012 ZX14s. We complained about our ZX14s being just a bit too aggressive a seating position, and I think KHI listened. The guys on zx14ninjaforum who have one (at least 2 dozen I'm guessing) all remark how much more comfortable it is compared to their old ZX14s.

And it handles great, even better than the old ones, despite being slightly heavier.

So I was out yesterday on my C14, testing the cc, and noticed it doesn't have rocketship qualities like my ZX14 had. And realized I don't mind. OMG I really don't mind?  But she runs so smooth, and I love the seating position, even if my short legs don't quite reach the ground. LOL.

Yup. I've demo'd a few a coupla years back. The smoooooooothest skoot ever.

They prolly coulda given it a model name of OMG14 or WOW14.  ;D