• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

ZZR1200 pros/cons?

DeansZG

Looked at / sat on(even had the wife sit behind me) an extremely(under 2k) low mileage '04 yesterday. Little high on the price(about $450 above KBB), but you would've swore it was a brand new bike, it was THAT clean. The salesman did point out one little scratch that I had missed. It does have Muzzy duals & that's where the (only) issue is (to me anyway). Whoever mounted the exhaust, did not line-up the tips. The right one is at least 3 inches above the left one & it looks like CRAP! Went to the Muzzy site & found no info about the duals. I'm guessing about 5 minutes w/ a socket wrench will even the pipes.Yep, the passenger pegs are even height from one side to the other too.

But, for those w/ ZZR1200 experience, what else to look out for?  Briefly looked on the ZZRbikes.com w/s, but not the info I needed. Any other w/s to check out?
  Tires were still oem garbage. Will look into better rim protectors if the deal gets done.

Also, what's the best sport-TOURING windscreen for it, or will a Laminar-Lip help immensly? 

Is Givi & Corbin the only hard bags for it?

Will more than likely keep using the Shell Rotella T dino oil in this that I've been using in my C10 for the last 146k miles.

What kind of mileage returns have you been getting from your tires & what brands?
  Please, not going to debate tires, just post ex; tire brand A / mileage #####

Will also need to add risers, I'm guessing Gen-Mars?  or are there others?

Oh, and one final question(I think I already know the answer to this one though); Is there a forum for the ZZR as good as the one for the Concours?

Thanks in advance!

Only Con that I can think of is carburetors!

I'm on a low carb diet from now on!

They are mechanicly similar to the ZRX drivetrain wise, and highly regarded by the ZRXOA!

I had a 2005 Zed-Zed-Arr 1200, the faster, dark blue one.  ;D  Great bike, but didn't sell well because people couldn't figure out where it fit in the scheme of things. Too big and heavy for a sport bike; not comfortable enough to be a true sport-tourer.

Nothing really to check out on these bikes other than general wear and tear items - chain and sprockets, tires, brakes, hoses, fork alignment (crash damage).

There is no real sport-touring screen available for it, which is part of the reason I got rid of mine. Zero Gravity has a double bubble, MRA has a slightly larger screen and bolt-on variable spoiler, Givi has a screen. But none of them will get the wind up to helmet level unless you're really short.

Yes, only Givi bags and tail trunk, or Corbin beetle bags (ugly).

I used Conti Road Attacks and got about 7,000 miles on California roads. YRMV. But they stuck like glue and wore evenly.

Don't know about risers, never looked into them.

Here's the ZZRbikes forum. A lot of COG guys hang out there, also. Good group of folks and willing to share tech knowledge. But be careful or you'll get a nuttin'.  ;D

http://zzrbikes.com/content/

I had a lot of fun with the bike but could never get it comfortable for long distance work. No matter what windscreen I tried, at the end of the day my shoulders were sore from the windblast off the sides of the screen. It felt like someone had been punching me in the shoulders for the entire ride.

The bike makes big power, and has great brakes and handling. First gear wheelies were so simple. Which is why I got rid of it - I didn't want to lose my license.  :rotflmao:

If you can get it for a good price, say $4k, I'd say go for it. But I did a little look around and dealers are still selling used ones for over $8k! That's absurd.

You went to see it and SAT on it!  Get the checkbook out, put a fork in it - 'yer done!

When you end up buying it you can say I told 'ya so!

Doesn't mean you have to get rid of the C10 does it?  You just made room in the garage after all . . . .

For trips, soft luggage is a reasonable solution.  I use a Field Sheer set - side bags and tailbag on my GPZ 1100 and it holds plenty for a week trip.

Yes, the ZZR doesn't have a shaft.  Chains have come a long way technology wise.  The ZRX and ZX guys are reporting 30,000 + miles on their chain / sprocket sets.

Hey there Stan ^-^

Yep, it was mighty tempting & still is...........Also, it started up w/out engaging the enrichner & it was stone cold......Sounded great w/ those Muzzy's too! 
  Not real crazy about soft luggage other than my roll tail bag that's about the size of a medium sleeping bag.... Gotta take a looky see at the couple of different brands out there....
  Hey, maybe I could mount up those brackets & bags from the parts bike you got a couple weeks ago.  Just kidding.. :-\

Got to toss some $$$ numbers around and if it's still available at MY price point....well......hmmm...I might just pull the trigger :)

Would like to see my ol' gal turn the big 150k mark, & after the upcoming hooligans...er...ah....misfits trip in the next couple of weeks, should be doable about mid-June....

We'll see.......we'll see

Great bike available at rock bottom prices. Krauser makes bags for them.

Dean,

Based on what you have said, you might want to take a look at the pre-2006 FZ1's (Yamaha).  They might suit you better.  There are great deals available.  I owned a 2006 (gen II) and in my opinion, the gen I's are superior bikes.  Plus, they have a great forum with loads of aftermarket support. 

:beerchug:
Bobby

S Smith said:
Great bike available at rock bottom prices. Krauser makes bags for them.

Maybe where YOU live.  LOL

I've been looking for three years for one and just cannot find a deal.  THey are always above book (which in m opinion is already too high for em).  But then I just wanna hack it up anyway, right?  :-\

THey ARE another "cult" bike.  Their followers are almost as fanatical as Concours owners.  :D

I wanna EFI and Turbo one.  :motonoises:

Bobby said:
Dean, Based on what you have said, you might want to take a look at the pre-2006 FZ1's (Yamaha).  They might suit you better.  There are great deals available.  I owned a 2006 (gen II) and in my opinion, the gen I's are superior bikes.  Plus, they have a great forum with loads of aftermarket support.  :beerchug:Bobby

While they are nice looking, I looked at / sat on a couple of ( both gen's ) FZ-1's at the dealers last year & they were more cramped than the big Zed, which, other than the bar reach, is not that much different than my current C10. Still have to do more research before I get serious about pullin' the trigger.  ::)

Dean,
TImalan, from the old forum, (don't know if he's still visiting there or not) might be a good person to check with.  He swapped his C10 and got the Zed.  He LOVED the power and bragged on the powerband to no end.  Ultimately he would up with an FJR and to my knowledge is still riding that.  SiSF also had a ZZR1200 for a little bit but sold it.  I know he too commented on the power and speed.  Personally, I want to keep the shaft drive.  I'm just allergic to chain oil.  ;D

But I wish I had the Zed engine to EFI and turbo and stuff in my ratty ol, wrecked up Connie. And yes, I could and would do it.

DeansZG said:
Bobby said:
Dean, Based on what you have said, you might want to take a look at the pre-2006 FZ1's (Yamaha).  They might suit you better.  There are great deals available.  I owned a 2006 (gen II) and in my opinion, the gen I's are superior bikes.  Plus, they have a great forum with loads of aftermarket support.  :beerchug:Bobby

While they are nice looking, I looked at / sat on a couple of ( both gen's ) FZ-1's at the dealers last year & they were more cramped than the big Zed, which, other than the bar reach, is not that much different than my current C10. Still have to do more research before I get serious about pullin' the trigger.  ::)

I just realized we were talking about two different bikes.  I misread your original post.  I thought you were referring to the ZRX, not the ZZR.  The FZ1 is a completely different bike.  My bad.  :-[

Rev Ryder said:
Dean,
TImalan, from the old forum, (don't know if he's still visiting there or not) might be a good person to check with.  He swapped his C10 and got the Zed.  He LOVED the power and bragged on the powerband to no end.  Ultimately he would up with an FJR and to my knowledge is still riding that.  SiSF also had a ZZR1200 for a little bit but sold it.  I know he too commented on the power and speed.  Personally, I want to keep the shaft drive.  I'm just allergic to chain oil.  ;D

But I wish I had the Zed engine to EFI and turbo and stuff in my ratty ol, wrecked up Connie. And yes, I could and would do it.

Yes, I believe I've seen him still post there occasionally, knew about the FJR, didn't know about the Zed.  I've got reservations about the drive chain as well.... but with the new tech chain lube, I hear the chains can go 40-50k now. ::).. Like I posted earlier, I've got more research to do!!!

I've had a 2002 in silver for over 4 years after selling my C10. I love the motorcycle, and my wife won't let me sell it because it's so darn much fun to ride. She loves riding on it too, after some minor changes.

I bought mine in '08 for $4600 with 6k miles on it, and it needed tires. As for tires, this bike hates Bridgestone tires in the front. They just don't work right. I've tried the BT021's and found this out.

I have Shinko 009's on it and they are great, getting very good mileage on them. Front has about 8k and shows no wear, rear has same and is flattening in the middle but still 1/4" of rubber there. Love them, and they are inexpensive. Great in rain, heat, even did a sport-touring track day with them. Stable at 125mph.

Stock seat is marginal, Corbin is better but shortens the passenger section. If you ride solo you are ok. I have a stock seat reworked by Sargent here in Jacksonville and it's very nice. I put on a Triboseat passenger pad and my wife doesn't slip off the rear of the seat. She loves it.

With gear we are both about 200lbs apiece and the bike handles it just fine. Brakes and suspension are better than the C10 and the forks are cartridge, not damper rod. Nice!

I went +1 on the front sprocket (cost me $20) and I turn 4500 RPM at about 88mph indicated, and my speedometer is very accurate.

If riding kind of sporty I get 38mpg in town, if I take it easy I can get 49 on the highway, and it holds 6.1 gallons of regular. I go on reserve usually at about 200 miles and there is a gallon left.

Bike has 610w alternator and four-piston front brakes. What's not to love?

I put on a used touring windscreen and it works well, air hits me about the top of my chest area. It will not give you the wind or rain protection of a Concours, but it's not meant to. However if you get it above 120mph (it's for Europe....) then the protection is quite good as the air flows over you.

Stock it has 139rwhp and 92lbs of torque. At 4500rpm it has 80 lbs of torque...pass without downshifting when riding two-up. I can drop it down to 2000 rpm in 3rd/4th gear and just open the throttle and it accelerates briskly with no carburetor problems.

Stock carbs are fine, I shimmed my needles for a little more midrange. I love the bike.

I had Givi E41 bags on it and took them off. I like the sporty soft bags, and I pack fairly light. My wife and I will travel to the WRRR this fall and make it on the bike with soft bags and my tank bag.

Handlebars... that gets more interesting. I bought Gen-Mar risers and put them on the bike. I'm 6'1" and decided to take them off. I like the bars just as they are. You can get risers, Heli-Bars, whatever you want. I would try and ride it stock for a thousand miles before doing any changes.

It's bigger than a sport bike, though it can run with them most of the time. It's really fun to ride, smooth, powerful, and elegant. The engine is like a diesel locomotive and the rheostat is the throttle.

Six speeds, close ratio, you don't shift much though with the torque.

Email me or we can chat if you would like to talk.

David

David, Thanks for the reply / ride report :13:  The bike was sold before I returned to the dealer this past saturday, WITH a cashiers check in my wallet!    BUT...... got a couple more that I've got my eye on.  Some of the guys have mentioned the weight of the big ZED, but after piloting my C10 around for the last 147k+ miles, the ZZR will feel like a lightweight!